EX1R and PMW350 First Details - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan View Post
Like to know two things:
when will it be available to buy and will it be the same price as the EX1 on release with a reduction in the price of "old" ex1's.
The EX1R 'replaces' the EX1 which is now discontinued. Any current orders in the pipeline for an EX1 will get the newer camera instead.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

The EX1R addresses issues I've had with the EX1, which I am a big fan, and seems to incorporate features I was used to in older models (V1u, Z1u). The PMW350 seems to be the ultimate camera!

I can't wait to learn more. Watching the video now with Bob Ott and Mel Medina.

Heath
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #18
New Boot

Sounds Awesome but I just wish the EX1-R...

I wish this camera was not over about 4.5 lbs, had a built-in hard drive option or used standard, inexpensive SD cards(the memory stick adapter is lame). For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?
Other than those items it looks great. Just need to see what the price is going to be I guess..
Rick DeBari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The EX1R is a professional level camera. Most pro users don't won't to risk valuable material buy using fragile hard drives in the field or uncertain consumer grade media.

SD card adapters do exist and many people on these forums are using them. I was one of the people that discovered the original Kensington adapter/SD card combo. However I still shoot on SxS as I know that it will work, without any issue, in any mode. I do have adapters and SD cards in my kit, but these are for emergencies only as they just don't give me the confidence that SxS does.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:33 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick DeBari View Post
For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?

Where have you been ?

E-Films product range

Paul.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:50 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?
Hard to believe. See http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-shipping.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
I wish this camera was not over about 4.5 lbs, had a built-in hard drive option or used standard, inexpensive SD cards(the memory stick adapter is lame). For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?
There are 2 companies making such an adaptor specifically for the EX1. In fact using SD cards is one of the favourite topics on this very interweb forum.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM   #23
New Boot

Thanks for the info folks!

I was aware that people had tried SxS work-arounds using SxS/SD card readers but I wasn't aware there were specific models that were tested specifically for the EX1R. This now makes me less afraid of going with the EX1R as the media costs scared me.

My only concern is the weight factor now. I do quite a bit of handheld shots at live events. Are lengthy handheld shots impractical with the EX1/R due to the weight factor?

Thanks,
Rick
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Major Player

It weighs 6 lbs 2 oz with one SXS card and the standard battery and I understand that it still tends to lean to the left. I personally found the original Ex1 to be quite uncomfortable (wrist fatigue) when hand held for any more than ten minutes at a time but that was my experience, your's may be different. In addition, there has been some alleged improvement in the grip position but the only way to realistically address your concern is to try it for yourself. Because I found the camera to be unwieldy when hand held, I actually opted for the EX3, which, when coupled with one of the extended plates is IMO more easily supported but others will take issue with that statement and in the end, it is a personal decision.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #25
Inner Circle

The EX1R is much more comfortable to hand hold than the EX1. But it is still quite heavy so fatigue is till an issue. What about a monopod?
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #26
Major Player

As usual, Alistair is right on the money here - I use my EX1 on a monopod most of the time - its a great combo. Allows you to run and gun quite well and do a whole lot of other shots that you can't do hand held (like crane shots).

If you don't like monopods, there are a number of shoulder mount solutions around that others have given favourable commment. I have the "El Cheapo" one that Phil Bloom promoted - and it is quite OK, but I still prefer the monopod.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hoodman Wristshot

Never used one, but it looks promising.

WristShot-Hoodman Corporation
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM   #28
New Boot

Thanks again for all the great information guys!

Is there a good, reasonably-priced belt mounted support that would work with the EX1 series? Like a poors man's steadicam except a simpler device??
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM   #29
Major Player

I have found this unit with the telescoping arm and using a belt support very comfortable to use for extended periods. It takes all the weight off your hands. Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 and the belt is here :Shape WLB - The list of our products
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #30
Trustee

Barry, this may be a dumb question, but how do you focus, zoom, etc, with that SPIDER II support? I mean it has two handles, so I am assuming you are supposed to hold it with both hands for stability. So, is it only meant for autofocus? Or for a high DoF?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds