XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #31
Major Player

I tend to stick to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." My EX3 performs exactly as I want it to. So if the upgrade doesn't add anything really slick, like cache record, then why should I bother?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #32
Major Player

Youre right - I just could not help it. The full overcrank is great for me, as I do not have to swich card, if I need to use it - dont know of anything else but the quicker boot up.

Last edited by Bo Skelmose; March 8th, 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
I notice that if I choose to upgrade the firmware for the EX-3 or the new EX-1R, there's a Download box at the bottom of the page. You Accept what's said in the box, and then choose 'Download Now'.
For some odd reason, this option doesn't exist for the EX-1. Not at the moment, anyway.
Malcolm
Is there another page where a download of the EX-1 firmware is possible? (the British sony site doesn't seem to be working) If so, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Regards, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #34
Trustee

The download for the EX1R is not happening right now either.
Maybe the Brit servers were not geared up for the entire U.S. to be poaching on them :)
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #35
Trustee

Ooops... Apologies to Brittania
EX1R download is working now.
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #36
New Boot

Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Jamieson View Post
Ben

Ditch the Up Versioner software and re- unzip it again. Switch off both computer and camera. Connect USB to both, Boot Laptop, launch UpVersioner, then switch on EX3. All should work, did for me, I'm using MacBook running Snow Leopard.
Thanks for the tips - I actually had to extract the versionup zip using Stuffit Expander rather the built in extractor to get it to work. Once I'd done that it all worked fine. I'm on Snow Leopard too. Tested 60fps on my Sandsisk Ultra II and it worked for a good 5 minutes or so until I stopped it so that is definitely a big deal!
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #37
Major Player

Still waiting for the EX1 download to appear....this is baffling, I don't see a download button on any pages, even changed browsers and didn't work?

EDIT: just found this (hidden) announcement on the site:
Please Note: Due to technical difficulties the firmware for PMW-EX1 will not be available until 09/03/10
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #38
Tourist

Hello to all,

for me the upgrade doens't work. I'm on snow leopard Mac osx 10.6.2.
I downloaded the zip files, uncompressed it, then connect my ex3 to the macbook pro without put it on.
Then there is my problem, I try to lunch the app and nothing happen.
And when I say nothing, it is nothing at all, looking in activity monitor shows me that.

Did some of you had the same issues?

Thanks.
Michael Pirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #39
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Vallack View Post
Thanks for the tips - I actually had to extract the versionup zip using Stuffit Expander rather the built in extractor to get it to work. Once I'd done that it all worked fine. I'm on Snow Leopard too. Tested 60fps on my Sandsisk Ultra II and it worked for a good 5 minutes or so until I stopped it so that is definitely a big deal!

Ok didn't saw the previous post above.
Gonna try that.

And it worked, just using Stuffit for uncompress the zip files instead of the built in extractor.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Michael Pirard; March 9th, 2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Fixed
Michael Pirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Sony post out FW 1.20 for EX1.

http://supportdocs.sonybiz.net/sf/0/3/G/B/SS03GB_1.ZIP
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #41
Major Player

Has anyone tried the EX1r update? There is a footnote that slo mo wont work with the adapter. If its only the adapter, I cannot care less, as overcranking works fine with my MxM, however if this update has some trick to disable slo mo with SDHC cards, then perhaps my MxM wont work anymore.

So please if anyone installed it already, let me know how it works with a generic adapter and card (I own ATP cards).
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #42
New Boot

Important issue indeed!
I hope Sony won't update the EX1R to reduce its current great capacity to work with SDHC cards adapters. I use S&Q with them without problems until now.

Please Sony, don't be Apple!
Thanks! I trust you won't disappoint us.

Still, for now, I downloaded the upgrade but will wait to hear about how the new fw performs with the adapters. I have the MXR's with a 16Gb and a 32 Gb sandisk.
Federico Campanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #43
Trustee

My EX1r seems to work just fine for 60p overcrank using SD cards with the new firmware upgrade.
I have Transcend, Hoodman, and Sandisk 16 GB cards, and a variety of adaptors.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #44
Major Player

Tried to install the firmware on my EX3 using a Mac Powerbook G4 with 10.4 (Tiger) just to see if it would work. The software installer coughed and wouldn't proceed. Tried it on a Mac Pro running 10.5 (Leopard) and it worked. I got a few vague warnings about disconnecting the USB connection. Wasn't clear if it was stating that I unplugged the unit or warning me not to. The dual stage install process is a bit unnerving. I have never encountered a firmware update where you have to reboot the item being flashed in the middle of the process. Firmware installed fine.

Did some quick tests using Sandisk Extreme II 16GB cards with both a Kensington and a Delkin adapter at 60 frames over cranked. Worked without dropping frames doing about 2 minutes of recording on both cards/adapters. The zoom speeds and thresholds are unaffected as stated earlier.

Last edited by Andrew Stone; March 9th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #45
Major Player

downloading it now - very slow link 15 minutes for 20MB.

This is it: Binary Package V1.20 [ SS03GB_1.ZIP, 20.58 Mb ]

linked as from first post.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds