XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #61
Major Player

Have anybody tried if the the Transcend 32gB SSD disk works now - after upgrade???
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #62
Major Player

Why are we updating out EX1 cameras with this firmware? The release notes don't seem to offer any real advantage over firmware 1.11 as far as I can tell. Only (apparently) 2 minutes less record time.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #63
Regular Crew

EX3 bricked after firmware update!

Hi all,

Yesterday, I installed the firmware update onto my EX3 - everything went fine until the end, also with rebooting the camera in the middle of the process.

However, when the process was finished, I clicked Exit and the application crashed. The EX3 did not exit the update mode, the red light was still on. After waiting for some minutes without any change (and after trying to re-start the update tool that said it doesn't recognize the camera) I decided to switch the camera off and on again. It has stayed off ever since - no life sign whatsoever, not recognized by the computer and that's it.

To make matters worse, was told on Sony PrimeSupport hotline that "problems stemming from self-installations of the firmware are not covered by Silver Support contracts". WTF???
First they decide to release a firmware update in order to save time and money, basically saying "let the customers do the dirty work", and then they deny support for a $9.000 camera???

Found a contract repair center for Sony in Vienna that shares my opinion, they have it now, will take a look at it and agreed to charge Sony for this mess. Will let you know how it goes.

But BE CAREFUL WITH THIS UPDATE!
Nino Leitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Why are we updating out EX1 cameras with this firmware? The release notes don't seem to offer any real advantage over firmware 1.11 as far as I can tell. Only (apparently) 2 minutes less record time.

John
Very much my thoughts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. See the post above.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #65
Major Player

Anyone tested if there is 2 min less record time or is it just adjusted time pre-readout ?
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Why did I update? There are some reports in other threads and forums (fora?) that the new firmware allows the successful use of adapters and shdc cards that previously gave Media Restore errors.

Included in these reports are statements (not yet corroborated by Sony) that the firmware update modifies the way the camera handles data overflow. If true, that would explain why formerly "reluctant" sdhc cards and adapters are now more accommodating.

Anything that improves the reliability of sdhc adapters has to be a good thing, right?

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #67
Inner Circle

upgraded EX1 from 1.11 to 1.20, no problem, formatted cards (SxS 16g) , still showing 55min in 1080HQ.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Just some speculation but I wouldn't doubt that the improved SDHC performance and shorter record times are related. It may be reserving some buffer space on the cards themselves. Of course this is affecting SxS cards too.

One would hope that the EX1/3 would have record cache added but I think one person already posted negative.

I really truly wish people would be more complete in their posts.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post

Anything that improves the reliability of sdhc adapters has to be a good thing, right?

Pete
True and early adaptors must be applauded for being brave. But I'd rather other people discover the "undocumented features" grenade that Sony have a habit of throwing our way. My camera works and I hope to keep it that way.

2 months down the line I might change my opinion. Of course if a load of people have "bricked" their camera then I might have been proved right in waiting.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Just some speculation but I wouldn't doubt that the improved SDHC performance and shorter record times are related. It may be reserving some buffer space on the cards themselves. Of course this is affecting SxS cards too.
My guess is it is possibly reserving some kind of space for buffering or CRC checks. But I'd rather know what is actually going on before taking a leap of faith.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #71
Regular Crew

If you are happy with your EX1/EX3 then don't need this new firmware update.

For Sony EX1:
1. You will need to read the "PMW-EX1_1.20_ReleaseNote.pdf" which stated:
"Major functions updated with V1.20
Usable media
- SxS-1 series memory card added
- Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX with MEAD-MS01 Media Adaptor
- SDHC card with MEAD-SD01 Media Adaptor"

2. Read "Installation_Instructions_EN.pdf" (for English).
and follow it step by step. But if you don't have much experiences with computer (just an end user only) then you should not do it yourself - ask someone else do it for you. It will take less than 20 minutes.

The special tools: Phillips size 0 screwdriver to open the cover for USB port (Instruction has picture of the location)

For winXP user, you will need to install the .NET Framework 3.5 prior to install update software.

Last - need to use power supply NOT the battery during the update

For some of us this update will save us some money: don't have to buy SxS Pro card. Now we can use other options with a peace of mind :-)

TuyLe
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Seems to me this most valuable to those of us who have been too busy, cheap or paranoid to send our cameras off to Sony. I have four EX1's with very early firmware and so it's a no-brainer for me.
That said, I'm in the US and I'm disinclined to fib about my whereabouts when I register. Anyone who converses with Sony have an inkling as to the intentions of Sony US in regard to the distribution of this firmware?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Posts 40 and 55 in this thread have links that go directly to a Zip download. (I used the one in #40). You don't have to register. Click to allow the download, let your computer unzip the files, open the English language document, and follow the instructions.

This update was a lot less anxiety inducing than the first update to 1.11 last year. Be aware that the update is in two halves. The updater will ask you to turn the camera off and back on halfway through the update process.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Thanks, very helpful. I'd downloaded those zip files, opened them up and then become concerned that the exectuables were a vehicle for implementing the firmware upgrade rather than the upgrade itself.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
This thread is a MESS to follow. People are reporting record time changes and S&Q changes without posting all the details.

How about listing ALL the following in you posts:
Camera upgraded: EX1, EX3, EX1r, 350
Features gained or lost with Adaptor (LIST Adaptor) and/or SxS card.
None card related features gained or lost.
Changes in Menu specifically.
Please see my post, it might answer some of your questions.......http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1496195

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds