power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Trustee

power

what are you guys doing for AC and DC power on this thing.
I was going to use a BC-2U and Swit EX-L96 batts , but then thought hey maybe I should just get a $50 power supply and one of Dolgin's chargers. Even the 2 unit charger wouldn't cost much more than the Sony and give me more and probably faster charging power. His 4 unit chargers would be of course be even faster battery readiness.

How fast is the Sony charger?

How many batteries are you guys finding you need to get through a day with the F3 ?

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: power

The Sony charger is not fast. It takes about 3 - 4 hours to charge a BP-U60. One BP-U60 lasts about 2 hours, the swit is similar, so you really want 4 or 5 for a full day. I'm sorting out a V-Lock adapter as this will be better suited to powering both the camera and accessories like monitors and off board recorders.
Using the swits you will need a EX power to 4 pin XLR adapter cable.
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'm getting by without drama doing full days on 3 BP-U60s, and a BC-1 charger, as long as I put the first battery discharged on charge soon after it comes off the camera.

If I was away from AC power this setup would not work, of course. Or I literally had to stay rolling for 8 hours straight.

Also getting somewhat more than 2 hours on a battery.

For me (just me), I can't bring myself to tack on a VLock somewhere. 2+ hours on a battery is a beautiful thing, to keep this thing light and fast to work with. If I need accy power I'll figure something else out.
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Guess my BP-U60's are getting a little old now, had them a couple of years.
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The Sony charger is not fast. It takes about 3 - 4 hours to charge a BP-U60. One BP-U60 lasts about 2 hours, the swit is similar, so you really want 4 or 5 for a full day. I'm sorting out a V-Lock adapter as this will be better suited to powering both the camera and accessories like monitors and off board recorders.
Using the swits you will need a EX power to 4 pin XLR adapter cable.
Hey Alister,

Would you mind providing a link to a power cable like that? I've found one that would work using the D-Tap connector to XLR but I've not found one that would use the EX1 pigtail on the battery.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't have any Sony batteries. The camera doesn't come with any. I've got 10 Anton bauers though and that's how I've been powering the F3. It lasts quite a few hours on an Anton Bauer.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Trustee

Alex Dolgin just started making a cable for EX charger or swit batts to 12pin .
Right now its 6" but I'm going to check for him if that is ideal
Off hand I'm thinking maybe shorter is better because if I use swit batts and the Sony charger I could keep the pigtail on all the time.
Wary of getting a separate 4pin 12V charger ibecause there might be a tendancy for the 12V pigtail adapter get lost on me when switching to batts. - That's an argument for staying with the Sony batts though. However I like the Dtap idea and have never liked the separate Anton Bauer route as it's always seemed heavy and unwieldy on the EX's. Maybe I should think that one through though, it is a clear solution.

Wasn't there a way to adapt the external dionix type batts to the EX battery connection?. Does that work with the F3? I don't want to have to use rails when handheld.

As you can see I'm thinking aloud here and going in circles. I'll iron it out.

What are you guys using for an AC adapter?
I could use the same kind of Marshall type 12V 5Amp adapter I use for my BTLH80. Around $50 -$80 I think

Suggestions welcome.

Aaron what size are your Anton Bauers and how are they attached?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Guess my BP-U60's are getting a little old now, had them a couple of years.
After 2 years, I have found, the batteries generally start to degrade whether they are NiCad or Lithium Ion. The degradation scale is also logarithmic, at least in my experience. My batteries from my EX3 are now 2.5 years old and are showing signs of deterioration.

I am a big fan of the SWIT batteries because the have the D-Tap connector on them. Very useful if you are a nanoFlash user or are powering an eye light. However the Sony batteries are good when you want to have a real handle on the amount of battery time remaining. If I have a big lens on the front, the Anton/V-locks on the back of a shoulder rig are essential for counterbalance. All different tools to get the job done.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Leonard,
There are a variety of styles of AntonBauer - 4pinXLR adapters. My favorite happens to be one with belt loops, some rubber padding and a 6' cable. It's pretty comfortable wearing it with Dionic90 or Hytron50 batteries, but can become tiresome with the weight of a Hytron140.
I originally got several of these adapters in various styles to power 1x1 sized LED lights (from FloLight, with 4pin XLR inputs) for portable use, but have used them to power a wide variety of monitors and cameras when necessary. The adapter also has a PowerTap plug.
For most purposes I'd still go with an on-board BPU60, but since I'll typically have some A-B batteries with me anyhow, these can provide additional (or with a Hytron140 much longer run time) power when needed.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Hey Alister,

Would you mind providing a link to a power cable like that? I've found one that would work using the D-Tap connector to XLR but I've not found one that would use the EX1 pigtail on the battery.
I've got a couple of these; (second product down)
Product Listing Power Sources

plug your Swit pigtail cable in and keep the D-Tap connector open for powering things like Nano Flash or monitors.
Attached Images

Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Perfect Bruce, Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #12
New Boot

Im using an IDX battery plate with a regulated 12V d-tap as well as one unregulated d-tap. From there I'm running a d-tap to XLR cable to my F3 and Aja KI Pro Mini.

I also got a Switronix GPTS V-Mount Hot Swap Adapter so that I can connect two V-lock batteries at the same time. This allows me to switch batteries without needing to power down my entire system. I also provides another d-tap so I could hook up my monitor to the set-up as well.
Philipp Eierund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post

Aaron what size are your Anton Bauers and how are they attached?
Dionic-90 is the size. I have a Anton Bauer plate that simply has a 6 inch pigtail and a 4-pin XLR that plugs right into the F3. The plate itself has a big slab of velcro on the bottom that I installed myself. It's very sturdy. It also has a D-tap on the plate that I power my lightpanels mini light with. Works pretty well.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Jeff Cree at Burbank Band Pro mentioned the camera will draw around 18-20 V once dual link and S Log becomes engaged - a lot more than what the Sony charger putting out 12V is capable of. Does anyone know what maximum voltage the camera will take before frying? Like plugging in a 24V for instance?
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

That seems odd to me. Usually, when a device needs more power, it draws more current (amps), not volts.
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta