New Sony PXW-FS5 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old October 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony PXW-FS5

Terrible footage - we all know this cam will be capable of far greater things than this...
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:49 AM   #122
Trustee

Oh pshaw. We already know the pretty pictures will be beautiful. It's important to see what it'll look like with crappy lighting while hunting for focus. :-)

I will say that it seems to confirm what I already thought, which is that the 18-105 kit lens in 4K will leave something to be desired.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:52 AM   #123
Trustee

This will be my first WiFi camera. For those of you who have had something similar before... my hope is that I'll be able to hand an android tablet to the client, who can watch everything I'm shooting. From what I can tell, the app you run also has camera controls on it. Is there a way to disable those, so my bumbling client doesn't stop recording an interview in the middle?
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:10 AM   #124
Major Player

I'm going to a workshop/presentation on the FS5 on friday, hosted by Alistair Chapman.

Any questions you'd like to be answered?
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM   #125
Inner Circle

Yes please!

Despite at least two separate reports that the FS5 has a Wave Form Monitor, there have been other reports that there is no WFM - including by Alister (note the spelling) on his blog when he was reviewing an early pre-production FS5.

I use the WFM option on my C100 and/or Ninja Blade all the time and sure would miss it!

So will the production versions of the PXW-FS5 have a WFM...or not?
Old October 21st, 2015, 02:17 PM   #126
New Boot

why is this one not posted on YouTube from sony
VideON | First Look At What The PXW-FS5K Can Do | XDCAM HD Products

Image looks pretty non video-like, same as the fs700, but i see some noice in the blacks...
Arvid Kraght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 05:34 PM   #127
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Despite at least two separate reports that the FS5 has a Wave Form Monitor, there have been other reports that there is no WFM - including by Alister (note the spelling) on his blog when he was reviewing an early pre-production FS5.
Andy, I think I may have been guilty of misleading you on that one, as with hindsight I think I may have seen a histogram display rather than waveform. To be honest, I didn't pay it too much attention at the time (I normally rely on a dual zebra mode so wasn't very interested) - I just remembered a display being present. (To be honest I found it an irritation - blocking out some of the image - which is why I don't normally use a histogram or w/f display in the viewfinder.)

My apologies if I've created confusion.

What I would say is that at the time I was looking at it's low light behaviour in a very dark part of the room and (even with the kit lens, f4) although it was only on the LCD screen it seemed pretty stunning. I'd be interested to try it again in comparison with another camera and quality monitoring. It made me wonder just what it would be like with a fast prime...... :-)
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:36 PM   #128
Major Player

I know it cannot do 4K 60P internally... :)

What are the high frame rates that it can do continuous? And in burst? And what is the burst duration?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:26 AM   #129
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
I know it cannot do 4K 60P internally... :)What are the high frame rates that it can do continuous? And in burst? And what is the burst duration?
Hi David, the frame rates are:
continuos 60fps in HD only, 120fps using full sensor full HD for 16 seconds, 240fps using full sensor full HD for 8 seconds.
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:30 PM   #130
Major Player

Thank you, Danilo Del Tufo. Very helpful :)
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:26 AM   #131
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Andy, I think I may have been guilty of misleading you on that one, as with hindsight I think I may have seen a histogram display rather than waveform. To be honest, I didn't pay it too much attention at the time (I normally rely on a dual zebra mode so wasn't very interested) - I just remembered a display being present. (To be honest I found it an irritation - blocking out some of the image - which is why I don't normally use a histogram or w/f display in the viewfinder.)

My apologies if I've created confusion.

What I would say is that at the time I was looking at it's low light behaviour in a very dark part of the room and (even with the kit lens, f4) although it was only on the LCD screen it seemed pretty stunning. I'd be interested to try it again in comparison with another camera and quality monitoring. It made me wonder just what it would be like with a fast prime...... :-)
No worries David. I will put it on my list to badger Sony about as a feature for inclusion in that future firmware upgrade (DCI, 12-bit Raw out, etc.).
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:23 AM   #132
Trustee

Get some popcorn and say goodbye to your family. This one's a deep dive.

FS5 Livestream | VOCAS
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM   #133
Trustee

Two and a half hours? I'll wait for the Reader's Digest version.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:36 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Two and a half hours? I'll wait for the Reader's Digest version.
That would be mine. No waveform monitor.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:02 PM   #135
Major Player

Very informative morning with Alister Chapman.

One very 'enlightening' example: I always thought a great dynamic range was good for low light shooting. It's actually the opposite. Shoot rec 709 when in low light! But for a high contrast low light scene (like a city street at night) shoot cinegamma for nice highlight rolloff. For scenes with a great dynamic range, shoot s-log.

I also understand you should probably not buy this camera if you want to do shoot a lot of S-Log. It is hard to work with s-log on the FS5 because you don't have the proper assistance tools to help judge what you're doing. (like a LUT-emulator for the monitor, for instance) The FS7 is much better equipped for that.

This is my simple understanding of a very elaborate and scientific explanation of the underlying principles of different gamma profiles by Alister. Correct me if I misunderstood!

My personal conclusion: I like this camera even more than before. Cinegamma and rec 709 will fulfill all my needs as a documentary maker, events filmer and whatever other projects come my way. (I don't do drama)

Watch the livestream- it will tell you a lot more- and better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5