Filming rights in the UK - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #61
Inner Circle

A few years (well maybe MANY years ago) I did a lot of photographing in the Boston subways - I had a similar experience in that they told me I needed a permit - which they were more than happy to give me. Of course as part of getting the permit I had to sign an insurance waiver that absolved them of any responsibility if I for example backed up to get a better shot and backed clear off the platfom

Rather reasonable I thought.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #62
Inner Circle

It goes from bad to worse here in the UK. A dad can't even take a snap of his kid in public now!

Man Suspected Of Being A Paedophile For Taking A Photo Of His Own Son While Out Shopping | UK News | Sky News
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #63
Equal Opportunity Offender

Terrorism is one thing .... what really scares me is an attack of the stupids.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Very interesting these responses, and reading the OP's blog article. I think in all elements reported here it is the context that is important.

Many years ago I was producing a doco which needed visits to Blackpool and we had shots of the Pleasure Beach interiors (private property). This was not long after this area had some bad press. I had previously spoken and agreed access with the owners, told them what we were doing etc... and paid filming rights...

Come the day my crew and I entered the area and we were stopped and questioned quite intensely. It was only when I produced documents and after their security had contacted key people that we were allowed access. Same thing applied in rail stations.

That was 15 years ago. Today, it is more intense, but I think the same rules do apply:

1. Make sure you contact the RIGHT people.

2. Get the RIGHT agreement and clearance.

3. In the UK, contact any local authority, council or city department in ADDITION to the private "principal" individual.

4. Obtain permissions in writing.

5. Have available and by agreement contact numbers in order to refer enquiries.

Worked for me across many complicated shoots - then.

Dare say things may have changed on a number of levels, including idiots in uniform, social paranoia and even more idiots in uniform possibly with some having a grade C pass in woodwork.

:)

Last edited by Claire Buckley; March 27th, 2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
Claire Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #65
Equal Opportunity Offender

"having a grade C pass in woodwork" ... that's quite an euphemism you've got there!

LOL! Classic!

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Now now now - don't diss woodwork. Maybe saying a grade C in personal hygiene would be more appropriate
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #67
Trustee

Quote:
Arriving at Newcastle yesterday I was asked to stop filming the EastCoast (rebadged National Express) train I had just got off as it departed on its way to Kings Cross...
Funnily enough, I had almost the exact opposite experience today in Lancaster station.
On leaving the Glasgow train, I saw a British Transport polisman on the platform and asked him for permission to film my departing train as I had not had time to "sign in" with the Station Manager. It took a few attempts to communicate this to him, the station staff and the "team leader" (apparently some stations have gone the way of Banks regarding managers). I was eventually asked "So you just want to film a train?" which is a breath of fresh air as far as I am concerned. I was suddenly transported back to to the 1970s when people who photographed or filmed trains were regarded as harmless eccentrics (in which category I should almost certainly be put).

The man collecting train numbers was also left in peace although I can't say with certainty that he wasn't plotting some awful crime.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #68
Trustee

Railway fiming permit

Sorry this is more anorak railway stuff but it might be of interest.

I was filming my son sitting in an empty train at a rural terminus recently. The guard noticed me, said I really should have a permit, but could continue filming until the point when other passengers boarded the coach. I though he was being a bit over cautious but was at least trying to help, so complied meekly.

I then wrote of the the TOC (Train Operating Company) to clarify the rules. At first they said that I should fill in the filming permit application anyway, gave me a link and I downloaded it. It is clearly for major productions and contained the following chilling statement:

Quote:
SECTION THREE : CONDITIONS OF ENTRY TO (TOC) /
SERVICES / PROPERTIES FOR THE PROPOSE OF FILMING.

3. access to (TOC) Stations / Services / Properties is subject to an administration fee of £500
(excluding VAT) for the first hour and £300 (excluding VAT) for each hour thereafter. This fee
does not include the provision of non scheduled train services, train crew or equipment. A full
quotation will be provided if this application is successful.
I hereby confirm that the above details are accurate and correct. I confirm our acceptance of the
conditions of entry to (TOC) Stations / Services / Properties for the purposes of filming.
I wrote back and said that "I am concerned that by submitting a completed application form that I would be committing myself to a payment of £1292.50 each for the three hour outward and return journeys which seems a little excessive for a family day trip."

Here's the useful bit - they replied

Quote:
I appreciate your concerns regarding completing the formal application form and I can advise the rules for filming relate to commercial filming only, where the equipment needed is significant. It appears from your correspondence that your recordings will be for family use only and I understand that it will not involve any other passengers or staff. I can confirm that if you are only using a standard handheld video camera the rules do not apply.
So it just rests on the interpretation of the "standard handheld video camera". For me a Canon HV-30 rather than an XH-A1 (it's to bulky anyway) and don't pimp it up with long furry things. I still intend to use a small support bracket and a W/A converter.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:04 AM   #69
Inner Circle

This EU ruling may be of interest:

Home Office reviewing European Court appeal rejection over Section 44 - British Journal of Photography
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #70
Trustee

Information Commissioner issues ruling

Interesting development over school paranoia about taking photos of Nativity Plays:
BBC News - Nativity photos not against law, says data watchdog

Link to statement: http://www.ico.gov.uk/ (In latest news section)
I had to change the file extension from .ashx to .pdf to read it - YMMV

Full guidelines at http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ing_photos.pdf
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business