Release Forms -- Model / Talent / Location etc. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:22 AM   #46
Wrangler

Sure thing.

Check out this thread for a couple examples.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:48 AM   #47
New Boot

Releases?

I need some info regarding releases. I posted an upcoming project at another thread, but need info about the proper releases. We are shooting a ride-along type program for public access and will be in contact with the public most of the time. I've got the releases covered for the people we will be riding with, but does anyone know the proper type and procedure for those that might be standing nearby or involved with the Fire or Law Enforcement agecies being covered?
I notice on COPS that 99% of the time the people being arrested are clearly identifiable. Do they actually sign a release?
Jim Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #48
RED Code Chef

Do a search in this forum on COPS. That question has been
asked a couple of times already.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #49
New Boot

Got it! Thanks, Rob.
Jim Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #50
Major Player

Sample Contracts and Agreements?

Hi there

I know this has been asked before in other threads, but does anyone here have sample contracts or agreements for videography work, ranging from events, to wedding videos, etc...?

Basically a contract on paper that will end up saving your ass if something in the shoot goes wrong.

Thanks.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #51
Wrangler

If anyone out there has any general contracts they would like to contribute, I will happily add them to the knowledge pool in the F.A.Q. with credit to whoever delivers them.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #52
Inner Circle

I don't know of a specific "Wedding" contract, but the two books that get used the most here at our office are;

Contracts for Film and Television Industry by Mark Litwak

and

The Complete Film Production Handbook by Eve Light Honthaner.

As I write, we are re-working a location agreement for shooting on a corner in downtwon Houston next month. Handy books.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #53
Major Player

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Mark personally, but I am in Canada and his contracts are worded for the US....so they don't work exactly....unless I modify them...

But as I recall, that first book doesn't have contracts for video work on a small scale, or did it?

How is the second book?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #54
Wrangler

Hi Dylan,

I found some contracts a couple years ago but figure they're worth just what I paid for them--$0.

I still get people to sign them, knowing that it wouldn't save my "assets" if someone got nasty.

Now then, after that great intro, would you want to take a look? I've got: General Release Agreement; General Location Release; Standard Minor Release; Talent/Model Release; Standard Material Release. No idea who authored them, so I sure wouldn't want credit for anything--someone might sue me. :)

Would need to mail copies to you; paper only at this point. If you deemed them acceptable and agreed to save your 14x lens for me (I'm kidding--but do you still have it?), I'd try to type them up in my spare time and email the files to you. It's a BUNCH of words!
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #55
Regular Crew

a contract doesnt have to be some long drawn out thing. all it needs to be is an agreement on terms and dates for example:

__________________ agrees to provide:

-
-
-
by ____(insert date)_____

__________________ agrees to provide:

-
-
-
by____(insert date)______

X______________________

X______________________
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Yup, it's defining what is "agreed" that makes them long. Undefined terms lead to lawsuits.

I don't know of a book specifically for Canada, though I have one from Australia. (Commonwealth no?) SO you had best talk to a Canadian lawyer and see if he can make a recomendation.

I happen to be married to an Intellectual Property lawyer, who looks at the boiler plate contracts I pull out of books and off-line, and tunes them up for me. (Or shakes her head and writes me one from scratch. Trouble is, her prices are so high I can barely afford her... good thing she makes so much money)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM   #57
Major Player

Release forms for minors.

I mostly shoot footage of BMX riders at our local skatepark. Well today the people who run the park told me I'm not allowed to videotape anyone without a parents consent unless they were an adult. So my question is, where can I get release forms online since I have know idea how to write one up? Also, is there a way to get one that allows me to use the footage in any of my videos that I make? I know that most release forms are made specifically for a single production but when I'm shooting bmx footage, alot of times I don't know what the footage will be used for. So is there a way I can get a release that allows me to use it in whatever video I make? Thanks.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:04 PM   #58
Warden

Consult an attorney in your state. Some forms can be written to grant you all rights to the footage. I'm not sure the parents would sign such an agreement. Many activities and venues for youth are becoming increasingly restrictive because of fears of abduction, etc.

you might want to approach the local skate-park about becoming the "official photographer" for the their organization. Give them free pictures for promotional use of their park, in exchange for granting you exclusive rights to photograph within their park. In return, your photo release (written by an attorney) can be incorporated into the parks liability release.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:09 PM   #59
Major Player

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. There isn't a problem getting the parents to sign. They are all my buddies so its no big deal. But I just figured, if I'm going to have them sign something, it might as well mean something. That way if for some reason the people at the park decide to scope out all my work and paperwork, I will have something to protect me. Also, this is a city owned facility so I don't know if it is considered a public place or not.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:15 PM   #60
Warden

You may need to have your attorney contact the city. It might be publicly owned, but privately operated. Boiler plate agreements can be almost useless in a situation like this. It is best to contact an attorney.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business