Release Forms -- Model / Talent / Location etc. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:34 AM   #76
Regular Crew

By-the-way, I did do a search but I am looking for information that is specific to documentaries in that I believe they fall under some of the protection that news-gathering does.

thanks,

Richard
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM   #77
Major Player

If someone is identifiable, get a release (even a verbal videotaped one) or smudge/edit them out. If you can post signs in the restaurant (Caution, videotaping in progress) that buys you some slack. This subject has been beaten to death here, just search back a bit.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM   #78
Major Player

Release Forms

Found these on the Microsoft site. They are Word 2003 document templates. If you can use them be sure and replace my information with yours.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/m/jmmnt/Re...ecording 2.dot
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/m/jmmnt/Pa...ecording 2.dot
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #79
New Boot

Question on Release Forms

I am working on my first documentary, and I need to get release forms from some of the people who I will film. I have a book that says it is necessary to offer them a token amount in order for there to be a legal exchange, i.e., "For the $___ consideration received, I give ______________________ Productoins, its successors and assigns, my unrestricted permission to distribute and sell all still htographs, motion-picture film, video recordings, and sound recordings taken of me for the screen production tentatively titled__________."

I kind of dread actually having to offer $1 to people in exchange for their signature. I would think their promise would be enough as long as they know that you are relying on their promise, and you do indeed rely on it by including them in the documentary. Kind of a legal question, but does any one have opinions on how this should be handled?
Rudy Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #80
Inner Circle

IANAL, but as I uderstand common law, a release is a contract and a contract only becomes binding when there has been an exchange of valuable consideration between the parties concerned. Since they are giving you something of value, the permission to use their image, you must give them something of value in return.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #81
Capt. Quirk

In all of the interviews I was a part of, we at SurfGuru.com never offered anyone any compensation. We also never had a release form. All we ever did, was ask for consent to use their recorded interview, and this was usually done on camera before it started.

Then again... SurfGuru was also the group who stuck a lapel mic on a screwdriver, just so there was something to stick the mic flag on ;)
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #82
Built the VanceCam

99.9% of the time, you'll have no trouble without a release. But that 0.1% could result in you losing everything you own and more. ALWAYS get a release and ALWAYS do the cash exchange. Depending on the circumstances, and because it may seem embarassing to pay $1, I sometimes make it $5 or even $10.
If you don't do it, you *might* not regret it.
If you do do it, you *absolutely won't* regret it.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #83
Inner Circle

As Dan's post reminded me, releases are like a parachute ... it's far better to have one and not need it than it is to need one and not have it.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #84
Built the VanceCam

Yeah, that's a great way to put it. Wish I'd said that!
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #85
New Boot

Appreciate the advice

Many thanks!
Rudy Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #86
Tourist

Lies,Video and No Release

Help!!
I took a job last fall and there was a video crew shooting a Documentary.
I finally viewed the film Friday night at the New York Film Festival and thought it was done in very poor taste.I was a designer featured in the film and was shocked at the lies that were made up about me.I was told that my image in the film was a positive one.It was not!It was made to destroy my reputation fully!
Cut and edited to leave out the facts and destroy my reputation as a freelance designer.I am very disappointed in the producer. I never signed a release,but still she used my image in this film without showing me a preview.
I have sent her a legal letter to remove me from this video but she refuses.
What next?
Leah Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #87
Major Player

Well I assume your "legal letter" was sent by your attorney, right? That is who you should be talking to.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Whenever a story is published with reckless disregard for known facts it leaves the publisher open to a libel suit.

Carol Burnett won a significant libel suit against the National Enquirer and today funds a journalism scholarship through the University of Hawaii.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Walton
Help!!
I took a job last fall and there was a video crew shooting a Documentary.
I finally viewed the film Friday night at the New York Film Festival and thought it was done in very poor taste.I was a designer featured in the film and was shocked at the lies that were made up about me.I was told that my image in the film was a positive one.It was not!It was made to destroy my reputation fully!
Cut and edited to leave out the facts and destroy my reputation as a freelance designer.I am very disappointed in the producer. I never signed a release,but still she used my image in this film without showing me a preview.
I have sent her a legal letter to remove me from this video but she refuses.
What next?
I'm not a legal expert by any means, but if you were aware of the camera, and mic and that you were going to be used in this project I don't know if you can demand to be removed from the finished product. In the doc "Some Kind of Monster" Dave Mustane (whom appeared in an on camera interview featured heavily in one scene of the movie) apparently got cold feet after the fact and tried lawyering his way out of the movie, but he had no legal grounds to force the filmmakers to remove him from the movie. Also, unless it's stipulated in a contract somewhere the filmmaker has no obligation to send a copy to you for approval.

If there were out and out lies in the film definitely talk to an entertainment lawyer and see if you have a case.

Andrew
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #90
Major Player

Link to "contracts/releases"

Searched my brains out, read every post found under the release search and nothing.

At some point someone (sorry) provided a link to a "legal" site that has a bunch of sample contracts/release forms for the video industry. I am looking in particular for one that can be used to give permission to use video shot by someone else.

Did I bookmark it, No, will I this time, you bet.

If this benefactor can be kind enough to post the link again......

Thanks
Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business