Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these cases? - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 29th, 2020, 01:14 AM   #151
Inner Circle

Re: Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these case

I often worry that so many of the things we do get analysed and then somebody produces the cunning plan guaranteed to work, by studying multiple successful products - not just scripts. You see a great movie. It really has an impact, so you break it down and discover three sections - Brian's example a great one. You then discover the same format in another of your favourites. The rule becomes solid and unbreakable, and the logical conclusion being that any script, if it fits the rules, must be a great one. Sometimes rules just fit, but the rule is just a fluke. Something products natural seem to fall into. Designing script content to fit the rules is futile, because you will create padding and cut decent content to make it fit - which is a backwards step.

I know you need rigid parameters to work in - but creative people design their work for others, not themselves. Story telling is a mystic art. Some people instinctively are great story tellers. Others simply suck. Some songwriters cannot do lyrics, so don't. Some do both, and do. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Elton John spring to mind - like the Gershwins. I firmly believe trying to develop skills you simply don't have, or have poor ones is futile. I have managed to get to my age by being able to do lots of things competently, but not brilliantly. Competently enough to get paid. My list of things I wanted to do, but have failed miserably at is thankfully short.
I cannot:
1. Dance
2. Fly aircraft
3. Play the drums properly
4. Play brass instruments and finally
4. Write scripts

Oddly - I know exactly how to do these things. I understand the language, the technicalities, have had the opportunities to do all of them multiple times. I can even give presentations on these subjects, I know them so well. However - my brain does not let me do them to any kind of standard. I've written a rotten script and it's been produced. Looking back, it really was dreadful, and only got produced because it fitted the pre-contracted cast as a last resort. I have no idea how many sections there were and only my friends were honest enough to tell me how dire it was ....... afterwards!

If your script is good, and everyone has confidence in it - then it is fine. Who cares how many chunks? You have to stop, if you can, working by wrote. For you, it doesn't help.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:32 AM   #152
Inner Circle

Re: Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these case

Of course, understanding structures don't mean you can write a story. If that were the case, a lot more people would be writing great scripts. I know someone who gleefully told me that he'd learnt the secret of script writing on a course - the 3 act structure. However, in asking further he didn't seem to know what a story was.

BTW I suspect he did because he told tell stories about things that happened at work etc. but he didn't seem to understand story as a concept.

Since Robert McKee got mentioned earlier, here are some of his thoughts.

"Story is about principles, not rules."

"Story is about eternal. universal forms, not formulas."

"Story is about archetypes, not stereotypes."

"Story is about thoroughness, not shortcuts."

"Story is about the realities, not the mysteries of writing."

"Story is about mastering the art, not second guessing the marketplace,".

"Story is about respect, not disdain, for the audience."

"Story is about originality. not duplication,".

Unfortunately, knowing all these things doesn't mean that you can write a good story.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 02:39 AM   #153
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
A 3 act structure has a mid point in the middle of the 2nd act (called in the mid point climax in Hollywood), if you don't have that you risk having a "sag" in the middle and the film feeling too long. You can call the bit before the mid point Act 2a and after Act 2b, but it's still the classic 3 act structure. Breaking Story: The Six Major Beats | Screenwriter-to-Screenwriter.com

It's basically get boy into a tree, throw rocks at the boy in the tree, get boy out of the tree.
Oh okay, according to that beat chart, I would say the script follows all of those, for sure. So I guess it is a 3 act structure then, yes.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 06:03 PM   #154
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Are you going to be happy looking back when you’re old at all the years spent talking?
Ryan will never grow old. Ryan is Peter Pan.

And are we going to be happy looking back at all the years we spent talking to Ryan? ("in one ear and out the other" as my father used to say)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 12:57 AM   #155
Inner Circle

When I first started to try to help Ryan, I was on the way up, now, I'm considering what retirement will be like, and in the years I was an educator, Ryan is probably my only lost cause. I really thought that collectively we could have moved him forward, but frankly - his position has remained constant, and he's stagnating not progressing and simply lacks the courage to do much in this industry. An eternal planner and reluctant doer.

Very often my failure is the lack of really detailed planning, but enough experience to deal with the consequences. Ryan plans the hell out of everything even if it takes ten years, and no progress.
Old August 1st, 2020, 02:25 AM   #156
Major Player

Ryan's meandering questions remind me of the pantomime song that goes "There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa..............". Or, for our American friends who maybe won't know the song, Catch-22.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 04:18 AM   #157
Slash Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
When I first started to try to help Ryan, I was on the way up, now, I'm considering what retirement will be like, and in the years I was an educator, Ryan is probably my only lost cause. I really thought that collectively we could have moved him forward, but frankly - his position has remained constant, and he's stagnating not progressing and simply lacks the courage to do much in this industry. An eternal planner and reluctant doer.

Very often my failure is the lack of really detailed planning, but enough experience to deal with the consequences. Ryan plans the hell out of everything even if it takes ten years, and no progress.
I swear these threads have only been going on since 2019 or mid 2018. Has your career trajectory really been that short?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 08:20 AM   #158
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I swear these threads have only been going on since 2019 or mid 2018. Has your career trajectory really been that short?
I feel like Paul's story could be improved if it was retold to include three acts. Adding a mid point climax to the second act. See these talks haven't been a complete waste. Some of the knowledge intended for Ryan inadvertently rubbed off on me. ;-)

At this stage I'm chef Ramsay. "Really!, Really! My gran could do better! And she’s dead!" I feel like grabbing his camera away from him and telling him to Piss off while I make his movie for him. But instead I grimace and fight the urge to say anything.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 1st, 2020 at 09:42 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 12:36 PM   #159
Inner Circle

Remember his previous incarnations have been going quite a long time - not quite 10 years, but moving that way. He was shooting on DV back then.
He joined one forum in 2014 - ten years was perhaps a good memory test that I failed - it just SEEMS like 10 years.
Old August 1st, 2020, 01:45 PM   #160
Slash Rules!

I guess thought you’d only been conversing with him on here.
Old August 1st, 2020, 03:59 PM   #161
Inner Circle

In fairness to Paul, Ryan has a Peter Pan dream like quality. He is neither bound by time or reason. He has been randomly asking every conceivable cinematic question with no real tangible progress for what seems to be an eternity and has been doing this for even longer on other forums. Honestly it boggles my mind trying to imagine the time span of this one movie.
Old August 1st, 2020, 04:10 PM   #162
Slash Rules!

He says its been about 4 years
Old August 1st, 2020, 04:15 PM   #163
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
He says its been about 4 years
That's only half true because I believe he started it at least 10 years ago. The amount of time is only one aspect. If he had a decent script after 4 years that would be great....

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 1st, 2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old August 1st, 2020, 06:20 PM   #164
Slash Rules!

I think we're edging our way into deleted post territory.
Old August 5th, 2020, 01:00 PM   #165
also known as Ryan Wray

Actually when it comes to covid I just helped out on a movie shoot where none of the actors had to social distance or where masks, especially since it was a thriller that involved fight scenes, and I am helping out on another one now, where covid doesn't seem to be an issue.

Are filmmakers just saying screw it, and doing it anyway?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business