Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these cases? - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 8th, 2020, 12:20 AM   #121
Slash Rules!

Re: Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these case

Please do not shoot your movie with everyone wearing masks unless you rewrite it for that to make sense. No one will want to watch a bunch of covered faces for 90 minutes. Think of how ridiculous that would look. If safety concerns are that much of a problem for people (which is totally understandable especially given the probably very low pay), then just dont do the movie right now. It was already likely to not make its money back, I would think everyone in masks would guarantee that.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:28 AM   #122
Inner Circle

Re: Do filmmakers tell the cast and crew where the money is coming from in these case

In real life people don't wear masks all the time. so shooting a film with the actors doing that wouldn't make sense. Also, it's not just an add on, having a pandemic is part of the world, so the whole approach to telling the story changes.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 03:43 AM   #123
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks, I don't have to make it now, I just wonder if this covid mentality will even go away anytime soon, or if I should just accept it and try to make the movie. If I can get people who are okay with not wearing masks of course.

But would it be weird if the movie takes place in modern times, yet we are pretending that it takes place in an alternate timeline where covid never happened?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 04:02 AM   #124
Inner Circle

It depends when the film is set. You can set it pre covid or during covid, you could set post pandemic, but you don't yet know the nature of that world, if there is a vaccine or if people taking other measures.

All this is stuff you need to work out. Unfortunately, it goes with being a producer/director/writer, so don't expect people to give you all the answers. Being creative involves creative thinking.
Old July 8th, 2020, 09:47 AM   #125
Inner Circle

How many TV programmes do we watch at the moment, or movies, where people are wearing masks? The public accept what they are given. Unless it references specific dates and times, they don't care. It could save you a fortune on live sound capture though? You could add dialogue with no lip sync issues, change chunks with no reshooting, and it would be unique - You'd be the only director brave enough to do it.

Remember that in aviation movies like Top Gun, they got slammed by the flying fraternity for constantly taking off their masks when flying, which real pilots don't, because that is where their mics are! (and oxygen) . They daren't go for realism, they had to fake it because that's what the audience need.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:05 PM   #126
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Yes I remember that in Top Gun. And I also thought of the sound advantages as well. It's just I am worried that if all the actors wear masks, that it can get in the way of emotion and be awkward.

If I have to use my creative choices, my instincts tell me that this would be so awkward it will ruin the movie. But at the same time, actors don't want to do without the masks in the majority I don't think. One person suggested to me that the actors will be good as long as they social distance during shooting. But then I will have to shoot in a wider aspect ratio, or heavily compromise the shots, and need much bigger locations then.
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:20 PM   #127
Slash Rules!

....oooooooooorrrr just wait so you dont waste $10-50000.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:24 PM   #128
also known as Ryan Wray

Wait for what?
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #129
Inner Circle

Logic would suggest until the Covid issue is over.

Film making is always a compromise, so don't fool yourself.
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:35 PM   #130
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I just wanted to get started sooner if possible with no more waiting or delays if possible. I also thought I could do it as an animated movie as well, because then of course, the actors do not have to interact with each other in covid times. Could animation possibly work better therefore, as long as I get a good animator on board?
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:57 PM   #131
Inner Circle

I assume you're talking about a short rather than a feature film. There are a number of animations currently being made during the covid outbreak, although, I don't know why an animator would want to work with you rather than their own short projects.
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:59 PM   #132
also known as Ryan Wray

No I meant a feature film. I thought I could possibly get an animator interested if they liked the script, or at least trying to be optimistic about it.
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:49 PM   #133
Inner Circle

Are you serious!!!

You really don't have a clue about the amount of work and time involved in making an animated feature film.

If you want to do it, animate the film yourself and spend the next few years making it. You may learn something along the way instead of going around in circles on forums.
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:57 PM   #134
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I'm just trying to think outside the box on how to get around the covid issues. But maybe that is my problem because if whenever I try to go outside the box, my ideas are too problematic, and I should not try to think outside?
Old July 8th, 2020, 03:35 PM   #135
Inner Circle

No problems about thinking outside the box, but you do have to have critical judgment and know when to reject things. There's nothing wrong with an animation, but unless you've got the skills to do it yourself ,it's a non starter for a low budget feature.

Reading your last message about your script on the other forum leaves the impression that you're way out of your depth and are totally lost. If you can't work out a way for a character to dramatically get an item yourself, why are you wasting other people time? This is what writers do, it's part of the job, it may take a few attempts to come with a really good method, but you don't need to keep asking on a forum. You won't get a solution to the problem there, it's between you and your keyboard.

The people on that forum haven't read your script, they know very little about it, so how can they give you a meaningful answer.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 8th, 2020 at 04:39 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business