DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/99377-ridiculous-job-offers-demands.html)

James Emory October 2nd, 2005 11:38 PM

Nope! I don't do stills for a living, just for myself with a typical $200.00 4 megapixel camera. I was mostly talking about the request for a "skilled amateur". That's like asking for some dry water. Translation, they need someone that knows what they are doing and is cheap, although $75/hour isn't bad if that's labor only for a 10-12 hour day. I don't know what still shooters usually get for a day rate to know what to compare that posted rate to.

Josh Bass October 2nd, 2005 11:58 PM

I suppose you have a point. Still, $75 an hour ain't nothin' to sneeze at from my perspective. Some of these guys, they'll sneeze anyway. I say let 'em.

James Emory October 4th, 2005 07:30 PM

"I need two Producer-Directors to shoot & edit a US version of a hit British reality format for the Discovery Channel.

You need to be able to shoot very well on DV. If you can't shoot, don't apply. You need to be able to stand up to five arduous weeks trekking through largely uncharted African jungle, during which time you will be filming 12 people each with different disabilities as they try to complete the trek.

The job lasts roughly from Feb 2006 through August 2006. Before that there'll also be a couple of months casting & shooting back stories of participants. One person will also do a two week recce in Zambia, Botswana and Namibia in about five weeks time.

It's going to be great, but extremely tough. For example, several of the crew on the British version contracted malaria. Absolutely everyone experienced the worst diarrhoea of their lives. If you're not up for that kind of thing, don't bother applying. If you are applying please include details of any previous filming in Africa and any Visas you hold currently.

I want to do a round of interviews in NYC next Mon & Tues, the 10th & 11th October from 9am through to 9pm. Unfortunately if you're not available then it's very unlikely that we'll be able to consider you. Apologies for that."

Craig Seeman October 4th, 2005 09:59 PM

Person is flying in from California for a wedding in CENTRAL PARK NYC and wants to pay WHAT! for an Canon XL series camera. AND this person wants to see a reel!

I'm looking for two DP's with XL-1s or something like that to shoot a wedding in Central Park.
This gig pays $150 each. I'd love to see an online reel.

Contact Aaron by email.

310-xxx-xxx

Bill Zens October 5th, 2005 08:30 PM

My favorite thread...

I love this thread. Where else can I read about job opportunities that give me diarrhea (my spelling is correct) and malaria. This defines a crappy job...

(BTW, what are the poor handicapped people doing out there, and how are they getting by...Imagine the producers for this show: "Hey let's throw a bunch of people into Africa...maybe some guys in wheel chairs or seriously obese ones...and get them to race from one side of the continent to the other. We should get some laughs, jerk some tears, it'll be a ratings blockbuster...")

James Emory October 5th, 2005 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Zen
I love this thread. Where else can I read about job opportunities that give me diarrhea (my spelling is correct) and malaria.

We aims to please!!

I guess the deal closer would be to find out that it's deferred!

George Ellis October 7th, 2005 11:41 AM

Of course, there is the new No/Lo from Al-Queda for both video and editing.

Bill Porter October 7th, 2005 09:07 PM

Al Qaeda job

DUBAI (Reuters) - Al Qaeda has put job advertisements on the Internet asking for supporters to help put together its Web statements and video montages, an Arabic newspaper reported.

The London-based Asharq al-Awsat said on its Web site this week that al Qaeda had "vacant positions" for video production and editing statements, footage and international media coverage about militants in Iraq, the Palestinian territories, Chechnya and other conflict zones where militants are active.

The paper said the Global Islamic Media Front, an al Qaeda-linked Web-based organization, would "follow up with members interested in joining and contact them via email".

The paper did not say how applicants should contact the Global Islamic Media Front.

Al Qaeda supporters widely use the Internet to spread the group's statements through dozens of Islamist sites where anyone can post messages. Al Qaeda-linked groups also set up their own sites, which frequently have to move after being shut by Internet service providers.

The advertisements, however, could not be found on mainstream Islamist Web sites where al Qaeda and other affiliate groups post their statements.

Asharq al-Awsat said the advert did not specify salary amounts, but added: "Every Muslim knows his life is not his, since it belongs to this violated Islamic nation whose blood is being spilled. Nothing should take precedence over this."

The Front last month launched an Internet news broadcast called Voice of the Caliphate, which it said aimed to combat anti-Qaeda "lies and propaganda" on major international and Arab television channels such as CNN and Al Jazeera.

Al Qaeda and other groups have increasingly turned to the Internet to win young Muslims over to their war against Western-backed governments in Arab and Muslim countries.

Islamist insurgents fighting U.S. forces and the U.S.-backed government in Iraq have often posted slick montages of their military activities, including beheadings of hostages, on the Internet where they spread through dozens of Islamist sites.

Bill Porter October 7th, 2005 09:11 PM

I wrote to the Al Qaeda and asked whether they'll let me shoot in 24pA and use my 35mm adapter.

Dylan Couper October 8th, 2005 04:23 PM

Here's a Gem from Craigslist:
Here are the posts in this forum:
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/cwg/
CAMERA OPERATOR WANTED

Original post:
Quote:

We are looking for a camera operater available to work with us on a new t.v./reality show project. This is a volunteer job, in which you must be able to provide your own gear (Video Camera, lighting, etc...) We plan to be shooting a 30 minute demo in the Vancouver area. With this demo, we will be handing out the complete 30 minute presentation to various local T.V. stations. We are looking for someone who is able to provide good quality time in a 2 week period. This is a great experience for those looking to work in the film industry. Hope to hear from you!
Reply 1
Quote:

Here is what you wrote:
"We are looking for a camera operater available to work with us on a new t.v./reality show project. This is a volunteer job, in which you must be able to provide your own gear (Video Camera, lighting, etc...)" BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Here is my response:
Can you please offer me some idea as to what could possibly be in it for me or any other camera operator to help you for free? Why would I bring $20,000 of my equipment that I'd rent for $500 a day alone, not including my time, to help you try and get a TV show running? Do you have any experience actually selling a TV show? Seems unlikely to me, as if you actually had a track record, you could get some funding to pay people instead of taking advantage of a semi-flooded market because you think you can.

Also, a warning to everyone reading this... this is a fairly useless experience for those looking to work in the film industry, as it is a different industry completely, and if the original posters know enough about the business, than they are lying outright to you, and if they don't then they certainly don't know enough to take this project anywhere.

I'm disgusted by the amout of people pretending to be producers who lure inexperience camera operators into dead end projects and waste their time and money. You chumps give the business a bad name. Get some balls, raise some money, pay people what they are worth.
The original poster didn't like that and answed:
Quote:

THIS IS A RESPONSE TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS DECIDED TO "BASH' INDEPENDENT ARTIST SUCH AS OURSELVES. IF YOU HAD THE PATIENCE TO CONTACT US BEFORE YOU FALSLY ACCUSE US, THEN YOU WOULD REALIZE THAT WE ARE A VULENTEER PROJECT WORKING TO CLEAN UP THE STREETS OF VANCOUVER WITH THIS NEW REALITY SHOW IDEA WE RECENTLY CREATED. WE ARE NOT ASKING YOU OR ANYONE TO BRING THEIR $20,000 EQUIPEMENT, WE ARE ASKING FOR A CAMERA OPERATER WHO HAS A DESCENT CAMERA, SPOTLIGHT, AND WHAT EVER ELSE THEY HAVE TO OFFER (INCLUDING A FEW HOURS OF THEIR TIME), IN WHICH WE WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PAYMENTS FOR FOOD, FILM, BATTERIES AND STUFF LIKE THAT. THE LAST THING WE WANT YOU TO DO IS TO GO OUT AND SPEND $500.00 ON RENTAL GEAR. ALSO, YOU BASHED ON US ABOUT "NOT BEING PROFESSIONAL AND NOT HAVING ACTUAL EXPERIENCE BASED ON OUR TRACK RECORD..." RIGHT AFTER YOU MENTION THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO "RENT" THE EQUIPEMENT? YOU BETTER THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO BE A FALSE WITNESS, THINK AHEAD OF TIME ABOUT WHAT A FOOL YOU SOUND LIKE TYPING SUCH A REDICULOUS RESPONSE. THIS WEBSITE IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SERIOUS AND TRYING TO BE PRODUCTIVE, NOT FOR KIDS LIKE YOU. "NO COOKIE FOR YOU!" "HERE IS THE REDICULOUS RESPONSE HE TYPED FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANT TO READ IT"
Quote:

And my response is....
I said I rent MY gear out for $500 a day (Sony DSR-570, + 6 point Arri kit) on top of my daily rate, not that I'd have to rent it to shoot your gig for you.

I'm bashing (cough) "artists" like yourself, because as a 15 year veteran of videography and cinematography, I'm sick and tired of seeing posts like yours on Craigslists around North America, trying to lure in young camera operators to shoot your gigs for you for free with false promises of useful experience. I know, I paid my dues, and I can smell BS and wasted time an email away.

Look, good luck in your project, really. I don't hold anything against you for trying to get the job done, I just want to let potential candidates know where they stand.
If you can't afford to pay even a basic wage, maybe you should be putting your time into getting some OPM, and if you can't do that, than maybe your project isn't financially viable, and if it isn't, then why the heck would anyone short of a student want to work on it? This forum is for professionals, and that implies GETTING PAID. If you want something for free, go to the Barter section, or better yet, leave Craigslist and go post and ad at VFS...

Also, if you want to talk about a lack of professionalism, please learn to proofread, and check out a course on grammar. If you believe I am a foolish kid, than so be it, I can live with that.

Just a note for other camera operators in the city, if you are sick and tired of this "work for free because..." attitude from (cough) "producers" then don't be afraid to stand up and say something. They need us more than we need them.
ANother poster replied:
Quote:

The original poster's response to whoever put that warning out only confirms the warning. I would be worried about working for any producer who did not realize that they would have to rent the equipment from its owner.

The way this stuff works is that if you want a camera operator with their own equipment, you have to pay them to rent their equipment from them, as well as for their time. Now, you might be able to convince someone to do it as a deferral, but you'd still need to provide insurance and all sorts of other things that it seems very unlikely exist on this shoot.

My recommendation goes out not to hopeful camera operators looking to respond. By all means, if you have the gear and the gig looks like fun, go for it. At the very least you can practice lighting things and using your camera. However, to the producers: get more experience before you leap in. Your inexperience showed in your original post and your over the top response only sealed the deal.

Do some PA work. Lots of it. Assist other producers. Do some AD work too, so you understand what the direction department needs to accomplish. THEN run your own show. By then, you'll have made friends (assuming you don't always blow up at reasonable criticism) and those friends will be able to help you get equipment and crew for cheap. But spend the time first.
ANyway, I thought you'd all enjoy that, it's good to see some people fight back.

James Emory October 8th, 2005 05:58 PM

Bids accepted for $50 job! I can only hope I get it!

"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, a student chartered organization at Xxxxxxxxx State University is seeking a videographer to videotape upcoming fall fashion show.

If interested, please email us at xxxxxatyahoo.com

Job location is Xxxxxxxxxx, XX

Compensation: $50.00 plus additional salary as tapes are sold; bids accepted"

Bill Porter October 8th, 2005 07:47 PM

Sorry Jimbo, I'm going to underbid you if it kills me. $30!!

James Emory October 11th, 2005 11:37 AM

Bidding Closed

Sorry Bill, I just got the job for $20 aaand a promise for more work in the future! If I'm too busy to work on their future projects, I'll give them your name.

James Emory October 11th, 2005 11:44 AM

I wonder if the couple knows what kind of product they're going to get?

I don't know if this is ridiculous or just plain ignorant!

"I need someone to videotape a wedding and reception for me in Georgia, specifically Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx Sat Oct 15 at 2 pm. You need a video camera,tri-pod and if you have a wireless mic that would be great but not required. Film the wedding in its entirety and pick and choose what you film at reception (edit thru camera) so when you leave your jobs done. Keep in mind what you send me is exactly what I give the couple, I dont edit, so you send me a finished video. You mail me a VHS copy on SP speed, I mail you a Money Order for $150.00. Simple. I will try to get you more jobs in the future as well. Contact me if interested. X.XXX.XXX.XXXX

Xxxxxx"

Robert Kirkpatrick October 11th, 2005 12:43 PM

Just got offered a "job" from a friend:

"Hey, Robert. We're having our wedding in a few weeks. It's a small, intimate affair, and we're not inviting many people. Mostly family and really close friends. We would really like you to be there, though. It would mean a lot to us if you could be one of our guests. Oh, and could you bring your camera and videotape it and maybe burn a few copies on DVD? Thanks."