DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/99377-ridiculous-job-offers-demands.html)

James Emory July 22nd, 2005 07:18 PM

I just want to know one thing. How does the T-Rex reload those machine guns with no hands and fingers? Another thing that really gets me is that he actually sat down and took the time to write that.

Chris Hurd July 22nd, 2005 11:33 PM

Dude, don't you know? Those are special machine guns that never run out of bullets.

I think your thread has been hijacked, James! Good luck getting it back on track!

Bill Porter July 24th, 2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
Is it just me or does 15 second clips of kids take a really creepy turn when instead of using DV (the 'why would you even consider anything else' choice for this type of thing) and instead uses SILENT 16mm? Especially considering this is to help read and understand musical notation!?!?!?!?!

Many children's shows and videos are dubbed with tracks like someone counting or spelling, or with sound effects, etc.

Matt Champagne July 24th, 2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Many children's shows and videos are dubbed with tracks like someone counting or spelling, or with sound effects, etc.
Perhaps a normal childrens program...but one that is designed to teach children musical notation??? I guess I can see a way that would be done (audio dubbed with animation graphics, cut to silent footage of kids). But it still struck me funny to shoot an audio oriented program using silent 16mm.

James Emory July 24th, 2005 08:23 PM

The heading said it was for a network show. I have done a few and never heard of anyone so demading or condescending.

This definitely falls under the demanding category. It sounds more like a homework assignment. If you don't follow the directions do they send you home with a note to your mother?

"I'm looking to hire part-time PAs for the next few weeks. The ideal PA will be able to have/do the following:
Have own reliable car and good driving record
Have own cell phone
Have an excellent attitude
Work really long hours and keep that excellent attitude
Sense of humor
Team player
Lift at least 25lbs
Have prior set and office experience
Knowledge of the Xxxxxxx areas
Can read a map
Hungry to work in the entertainment biz
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!!!

If this is you then FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS!!!! If you fail to read and follow the directions on how I want your resume emailed to me, then don't even think I'll even consider hiring you. Following directions is KEY!!!!

Here's what I need from you:

Email me a coverletter stating why I should hire you over any others. I also want your resume attached to the email. Also, as a back-up, I'll need a copy of the cover letter in the body of the email.

Best wishes!! Hope to work with you soon

Compensation: Paid"

Matt Champagne July 24th, 2005 08:26 PM

That seems completely reasonable to me...hell on an indie feature you probably wouldn't even get paid for that much. Though yeah...requiring the letter is a bit of an aggrevation

Josh Bass July 25th, 2005 01:01 AM

I gotta tell ya. . .I find that approach very off-putting, as a PA myself. It just makes me think I'm gonna be dealing with some asshole(or asshole-ette) for a month or two. Unnecessary. That ad could have conveyed all the pertinent information without the attitude.

James Emory August 12th, 2005 07:07 PM

Thanks Josh. I totally agree. Forget the money. Who wants to work for someone like that!

James Emory August 12th, 2005 07:33 PM

I saw a post for this same project a few months ago and it was posted again today. I wonder why? Forget the fact that the rate doesn't even begin to cover the labor but does this $150.00 cover the gear too, who knows? Also, what happens after they have used you about 5-10 times or less and then decide you ain't cuttin' it? Well, I'll tell you. You just worked for $150.00 (1 interview) or maybe $300.00 / day (2 interviews) without that incentive payoff of the $40K for taking the lower pay up front. No matter what, if that rate includes gear too, you are screwed!!

Videographer

Job Description

The Videographer will be responsible for:

Videotaping a minimum of 200 interviews annually (each interview is an average of 3 hours in length not including set up and tear down)

Videotaping an average of 2 interviews daily

Labeling tapes appropriately

Ensuring completion of ALL paperwork for each XxxxxxxXxxxx in the region and submitting required reports

Working closely with an interviewer/oral historian to ensure ALL interviews are conducted in accordance with the XxxxxxxXxxxxx guidelines

Performing other responsibilities as assigned

Reporting to the national headquarters in Chicago, Illinois

The Preferred Qualifications include:

A minimum of 2-4 years experience shooting on Betacam SP and working with Betacam SP ENG equipment

Proficiency with camera maintenance including cleaning heads and troubleshooting

Demonstrated experience with shooting ENG/documentary style video

Proficiency in documentary style lighting using gobos, gel and chimera

Ability to work as part of a team

Own cell phone, computer, fax machine and transportation

Strong people skills and the ability to interact with various personality types

Ability to perform video and audio tasks as one person

Willingness to travel locally and nationally

The ideal candidate will be experienced with quality lighting techniques, be hardworking, have strong ethics, a proven track record, the ability to maintain confidentiality, the ability to work in a demanding/multi-task oriented environment, posses the desire for a challenge and have a passion for The XxxxxxxXxxxxx mission.

Salary

$150.00 per interview will be paid during a 3 month, part-time probationary period with the possibility of full-time employment at an annual contract rate of $40,000.

Interested candidates should submit a VHS sample of work with a cover letter, resume and references to:

Organization
The XxxxxxxXxxxxx
1900 S. Xxxxxxxx Avenue
Chicago, IL 60616

No Phone Calls Please

Email
xxxx@thexxxxxxxxxxx.com

Job location is Atlanta, GA

Compensation: $150.00 per interview will be paid during a 3 month, part-time probationary period with the possibility of full-time employment at an annual contract rate of $40,000

Patrick King August 12th, 2005 08:33 PM

If you worked at least three days a week, two interviews a day, you'd be better off financially staying with the $150/per rate than the annual salary.

James Emory August 20th, 2005 01:57 AM

Poster strikes back

Finally, someone has gotten tired enough of the crap to tell it like it is.

"Feature Film Producer Xxx Xxxxxxxx, with major backing needs People and Fake companies who post things here (another board), that are lies and never pan out but boost your egos and fuel your own delusions. I only need 10, that should be a drop in the bucket. Union players only. No it's not a comedy. Salary: just what I owe you....Nothing."

James Emory August 22nd, 2005 12:45 PM

"(this is customary in Seattle; hopefully the same applies on the east coast)."
No wonder Seattle is the suicide capitol!

She ought to be a televangelist by the way she lures you in and then near the end subtly asks for your love gift of (in addition to the minimal hour) scout time, your camera, and of course, experience!

"I'm a writer-director in Seattle, getting ready to shoot my first documentary on the east coast. The format is miniDV. I need an experienced cinematographer to shoot the culminating event in Atlanta on the morning of August 30. In other words, after a long fight, there is closure in this chapter of history and I need someone to document it. I will then start at the beginning and tell the story leading up to this event. No interviews are required for this shoot. I don't anticipate it to last more than an hour. I will provide final details when I get them.

This project has come up suddenly, so getting to Atlanta on short notice is not possible for me--unless I get funding in the next week or so which is unlikely. Currently, all I can offer is credit and a copy of the final project (this is customary in Seattle; hopefully the same applies on the east coast). I am working on a proposal for funding. I am EXTREMELY passionate about this project and a great, persuasive writer. I am confident I will be able to get funding, especially if I have a highly skilled crew. When that happens, if you've done a great job, I will be able to offer you a paid position. There will be minimal in-state travel required. Please have several years experience, a demo reel and a Panasonic AG-DVX100A or better (miniDV only). I will reimburse for tape stock. Documentary experience a HUGE plus. I'm targeting this film for festivals and PBS, so please no amateurs or hobbyists. It would be helpful if you could scout the location prior to the shooting date to determine lighting and sound requirements.

Feel free to check out my Web site at http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com. Send resume and demo reel to Xxxxxxxx Productions, PO Box XXXX, Seattle WA 98111. If you have an online demo reel (strongly preferred), you can e-mail your resume (PDF documents only) with a link to your reel to xxxxxxxxxatxxxxxxxxxxx.com"

Dylan Couper August 22nd, 2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Currently, all I can offer is credit and a copy of the final project (this is customary in Seattle; hopefully the same applies on the east coast).
What really pisses me off is the people who say "must have DVX100A, or better", so a regular DVX100 isn't good enough? Nor a GL1 or VX2000 or XL1?

James, could you email me a link to the original ad? I'm going to email him my thoughts. :)

Emre Safak August 22nd, 2005 05:30 PM

Don't get mad but I just wrote a similar ad myself! Fact is, I am a graduate student, so I have no money to give. The least I can do is offer credit and copy! Well... I can do a bit better than that, but not a lot. As for specifying the camera... it is a way of saying: "This production requires a camera with manual control"... or "If your camcorder is not better than these, we might as well use mine".

Dylan Couper August 22nd, 2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Don't get mad but I just wrote a similar ad myself! Fact is, I am a graduate student, so I have no money to give. The least I can do is offer credit and copy! Well... I can do a bit better than that, but not a lot. As for specifying the camera... it is a way of saying: "This production requires a camera with manual control"... or "If your camcorder is not better than these, we might as well use mine".

Hey Emre
The difference is that the posted of that "job" has the audacity to suggest that working for a copy and credit is the norm.

My take on "you must have this camera" is that the poster isn't skilled enough to know that the operator makes more difference than the quality of the camera.