DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/99377-ridiculous-job-offers-demands.html)

James Emory October 6th, 2004 07:12 PM

Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!!

Why is it that people have the audacity to make posts such as the one below. This was not from this board. I don't think it has members that are this naive and rediculous. I've seen many other rediculous demands for crew and equipment. Is it the pathetic attempt to feel like a studio head? Unbelievable folks!

Any comments on why people can make such demands for little or no compensation? Why do so many use the "it will be a great addition to your reel" line? I think the applicant can make that decision for themselves.

"A local production company is seeking a on point producer for a music video. This is a low budget production, there is pay but it will not be substantial. We are seeking a TRUE professional, someone who knows their stuff. This will be a 2-3 day shoot, all go go go. It will be worth your reel."

"I'm sorry but we REALLY do not have the time for newbies so the non experienced need not apply ( but if you have other skills..grip, gafter, etc we may be interested in using you, more than likely unpaid)"

Andre Andreev October 7th, 2004 01:59 PM

Responding is what matters.

If you look at craigslist.org (esp. losangeles.craigslist.org) you will see dozens of these. There are gigs offering $50/day if for a DP with a DVX100 and equipment... There are ones that offer credit and meals. Or just credit.

People can post whatever they want.
The question is, do they really get *experienced* professionals agreeing to work for the credit?

I think the only way to find out, is to post one of those ads :)

Also, it's a fact that there are many people in LA who are trying ot get their foot in the door and are ready to work for free. And many low-cost productions willing to exploit this side of the market.

If I wanted to get into this industry I would be willing to invest 6 months to an year with no/low pay - so that I create my contacts, reel, gain experience and establish reputation.

Better start saving money...

Regards
-- Andre

James Emory October 7th, 2004 05:51 PM

I hear you Andre. I'm mostly annoyed by the ones that just demand top notch crew and sometimes with gear like the example above and have a low or no budget. And then, and then...tell you it will be a great addition to your reel. That's their opinion mostly because it's their project. I certainly don't have any problem with people being up front with the terms no matter how difficult they may be because I have and would work for deferred pay on a project that I believed in. When it's free or deferred you're going to have to take what you can get and if that's an experienced crew then you just scored. If not, then too bad.

Josh Bass October 7th, 2004 07:50 PM

I might make a post like this in the future, but it'll be a little different. . .I certainly wouldn't ask for "top notch" anything, 'cause it's highly unlikely I'd get it. I would, however, ask for some kind of visual demonstration of talent (something the gaffer/PA/Actor did) that shows their skill level and what they're capable of. Why? Everyone's a newbie at some point, but on these no budget productions (a lot of members on here produce/direct/create/are involved in), for me at least, there comes a point when having someone with zero knowledge or experience is less beneficial than doing everything myself, on set. If I have to sit there and physically take you through, for instance, putting a tota light or fresnel on a baby stand, and then attaching something to the barn doors with clothespins (or C47s. . .I think), I might as well do it myself, because I can't do anything else with that time if I'm paying attention to you, now can I? On the other hand, if I set up an audio mixer, tell you how to fiddle with it, tell you how to read the meter, and have you monitor it, and listen to the headphones for anomalies, I guess that's different, and very useful. I thought I had a point here, but apparently not.

I think at the very least everyone using what is essentially free labor should offer a meal (once every six hours at least. . .I think that's some rule of some organization) and gas money reimbursement or a flat fee, and a copy, and credit.

I think the reel thing is what you make of it. If you have talent, creativity, blah blah, and they have gear that allows you to do good work, then you can probably make some good stuff happen while you're being exploited.

Does any of this make any sense?

Craigslist was referred to in one of the posts above. Wanna see some exploitation? Check this out:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/cwg/

Most of the links on here should be pretty unappealing.

Dylan Couper October 7th, 2004 10:13 PM

Meh, I don't have any problem working for free, and likewise don't mind asking people to work for free, or when they ask me.

In fact, I worked on one project for free where they asked us politely to chip in a few bucks for food if we could.

Rafal Krolik October 8th, 2004 11:40 AM

I think that in his original post, James was refering to the "tone" of the posting which is a bit demanding. The truth is that a lot of out there have done our share of free work and will continue to do so in-between the paying jobs. I personally discovered that some of the stuff I took part in for no money was more rewarding ( spiritually ) than the commercial projects.
It's a long ladder to the top.

Dylan Couper October 8th, 2004 12:02 PM

Ahhhhhh, I gotcha. Yes, I agree they do come off pretty poorly.

Ray Lane October 8th, 2004 12:36 PM

There is a company here in New England, I won't mention that there name is Interlock Media, out of the same respect they have for people in this field.

They are ALWAYS posting for non-compansating positions which have unreasonable demands such as no pay, but 40 hours a week, etc. Most of there job listings end with the following...

Salary: None
Hours: individual project-basis (30-40 hours each) OR part-time/full-time (preferred)
Qualifications: The Editor must have formal training/experience on Avid Media Composer. Candidates should also be comfortable with the technical aspects of post-production equipment as some trouble-shooting will be required. Intensive critique on the artistic approaches to documentary cutting will be given. Applicants also must have excellent communication skills, a desire to learn, and a pro-active attitude.

I once sent a spoof resume to him which included the job responsability of "received a weekly paycheck". He wrote back to me a few times to explain why I had no understanding of charity. He then refused to tell me how much money he gets from the company. I even offered to do the work for half his salary, so that he could feel more charitable. He did not like the idea :)

Josh Bass October 8th, 2004 01:05 PM

Ray Lane, you are my hero!

Seriously, though. Working for free? There are certain people I would do it for, but they're people I know, and trust, and think I would enjoy working with. Other than that, not so much. I would still feed anyone that did anything for me. It's just wrong, otherwise, in my opinion. And I certainly don't think you can make demands about skill/talent requirements if you're not offering any money.

You know, you guys always talk about how, regarding buying used, or off eBay, that "you get what you pay for". Shouldn't the same thing apply the labor/freelance market?

James Emory October 8th, 2004 08:07 PM

Thanks Rafal. That's it. Believe it or not, I'm not in this industry for the money. It just so happens that a person can make a great living at it if work is steady. I absolutely love what I do as I think a majority of the people on this board do. I wish I was as rich as Bill Gates and then I would help out as many independents as I could for free or deferral, with proceeds going to an indie fund, because I just love producing. But the reality is that I have gear and other bills to pay for. I think anyone would want and try to find the best people to work on their project, free or not. What's the point in making something if it's crap. But, they don't have to be so obnoxious and demanding to get that.

Good job Ray. Putting him on the spot showed you his true colors. Those kinds of people are what give this industry a bad name.

James Emory October 11th, 2004 10:23 PM

The Messiah

"As a producer myself , its extremly helpful to have a videographer like myself for shoots ie music videos , commercials , tv shows-- behind the scenes kinda stuff. Producers and directors --gotta upcoming shoot?--gimme a buzz- Robbert xxx.xxx.xxxx.
youll dig the results!"
"lets do it!"

Michael Morlan October 13th, 2004 01:38 PM

There's a great thing about the recent democratization of filmmaking brought on by the availability of tools and technology. Anyone can make a film now.

The problem is -- ANYONE can make a film now.

I've recently turned down several feature film offers as cinematographer in Austin, Texas after initial discussions with the producer/directors. Their listing always goes something like this:

---------------------------------------
Seeking experienced D.P.
$1000 + deferred pay for three to five weeks of work
Shooting on Pani AG-DVX100
etc.
---------------------------------------

Then I read an uninspired script written by a first-time director with all manner of big plans and no clue about how his project will play in the market.

What are they thinking? I recently volunteered my time on a 4-day short film and scored $1200 in rentals. Why would I waste my time on a feature being shot on the crappiest 3-chip DV camera out there? Who is ever going to see my work then? At least that short film has the potential for some festival play and, at the very least, I get some imagery to add to my on-line portfolio.

Now, if a feature could offer me one or more of the following, I would seriously consider it:

o upfront fee that wasn't insulting
o 16mm or better aquisition
o a sharp script that would sell/rent well even without a distribution deal (perhaps horror/thriller with foreign market possibilities)
o at least one other person above-the-line who has some experience besides myself
o a discerning director who knew how to capitalize on my art and craft and chose me to bring their vision to life

I always find it amusing when a complete newbie tries this. But, generally, I've found that such calls attract talent and crew similar to the producer/director's demonstrated level of talent. If they have never shot a film before, they get the committment of rank amateurs. If a director can demonstrate proficiency in the craft, then he/she may expect the committment of similarly experienced persons.

Having written the above, I recently posted a short film call on local Austin, Texas boards. An excerpt follows:

---------------------------------

Project: "Death & Redemption" - 13 pages
Prod. Comp.: Lensville - http://lensville.com
Director: Michael Morlan - http://michael-morlan.net
Shoot Dates: January 8,9,15,16 of 2005
Format: Mini-DV with possible upgrade to HDV/HD
Exposure: Festival, Internet delivery (Atom Films, etc.),
DVD magazine/distribution

My name is Michael Morlan. I am a local cinematographer and director of animated and live narrative shorts. To learn more about me and my past work, visit http://michael-morlan.net.

I am seeking non-paid personnel for my short film "Death & Redemption".

Experience is required for some positions. Craft services and DVD copy of finished film will be provided. You may expect training before the shoot, thorough pre-production, team-building on the set, and an opportunity to succeed in this very challenging craft. This will be an efficient and tightly run set with a focused and considerate crew.

---------------------------------

Now, the reason I can post such a call and get the committment of thirty dedicated amateur, semi-pro, and professional personnel is because, over the past year, I have volunteered my services as a D.P. to many projects, building my reel and forging relationships in the community. Having seen my past work, these people trust me to produce a good product that they can be proud of and that will enhance their resumes and reels.

Secondly, I expose every aspect of my upcoming project to the scrutiny of would-be volunteers. My script and samples of my past work are readily available for review and consideration.

Ultimately, this cross-fertilization in the Austin indie scene is entirely about building a resume and, hopefully, a career.

I, personally, try to lace my crew with a mix of experienced and newbie personnel. I enjoy the opportunity to capitalize on my barter relationships with fellow enthusiasts and professionals as well as empowering new folk to learn something new and contribute to something larger than themselves. For instance, my 2nd A.C. on the above project was a P.A. on a previous gig that I drew into my camera crew to cart stuff around and set up the video village. She did such a great job -- hard work, attention to detail, and enthusiasm -- that I felt I could take the time to train her up. She gets to excel in an area that she's passionate about and I get a dedicated member of my camera crew.

James Emory November 23rd, 2004 07:22 PM

Most Rediculous Post of the day

Sounds like a p.a., shooter, UPM, G&E and PR officer all rolled into one. But for that kind of money, it might be well worth it.

"Position: Production Assistant

Xxxxxx Xxxxx, a xxxxxx based marketing agency is looking for a local Production Assistant to assist with a promotional event for a daytime television show on a major television network. This event will take place at The Perimeter Mall in Xxxxxxx on Tuesday Nov. 30th.

Job Description

The Production Assistant position is vital to the seamless execution of each event and will assist the Tour Manager with all aspects of the production process. The PA will be required to help with the set-up and break down of the event and additional duties will consist of filming, general grip duties, interacting with event spectators, distributing promotional collateral, and assisting with data collection.

This is only a one day job that will last approximately 8-10 hours.

Ideal candidates will meet all the requirements listed below.

Compensation: $125.00

• Prior production assistant experience
• Roll-up your sleeves attitude
• Prior promotional experience preferred but not required
• Team player
• Ability to lift over 25 lbs

Please, only serious candidates need apply. In order to be considered for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter and picture to xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx. Due to the number of resumes submitted we cannot respond to everyone therefore we will only be contacting those applicants who we feel meet the needs of the position."

Dylan Couper November 23rd, 2004 08:28 PM

I wonder why they want a picture???
Beautiful people only need apply?

Josh Bass November 23rd, 2004 09:20 PM

Whoo hoo!

I recognize that ad, it's for a gig in Houston. I even might've applied except for the handing out promotional materials and all that--I hate being a perky monkey for large crowds of people. All the other stuff is okay.

I was reading on Craigslist that there was a guy, in NYC, offering his services, as a DP/operator, with DVX100, and light kit, for a full day, for $300, and he had 12 years experience! I asked him why he was so low, given the gear and the skill level, and he said it was 'cause the market over there is so saturated with DVXs and XL1s's and whatnot, and people offering their services for even lower, that if he doesn't go that low he can't compete.

Dylan Couper November 23rd, 2004 09:42 PM

Yeah... Rent the camera get the operator for free...
The curse of cheap, quality DV cameras hitting the consummer market.

Josh Bass November 23rd, 2004 09:45 PM

I don't know about THAT. . .I don't think $300 is a good day rate for a DVX. . .that's about twice what it rents for from most places, but I was mostly amazed that he threw in himself, the light kit, and 12 years experience for that amount. At least that money would go farther in Houston than in NYC. Poor bastard.

Dylan Couper November 23rd, 2004 09:48 PM

You know what I meant. :)

Actually, my day rate is pretty close to what it would cost to rent all my gear for a day (two cameras, light kit, mics) seperatly.

Josh Bass November 23rd, 2004 09:53 PM

I don't know what my day rate is. Seems to vary with each job. One day. . .you bastards, one day.

James Emory November 23rd, 2004 10:48 PM

Josh. That post is for Atlanta. This must be a multiple city project according to what you saw as well. The cheap ass virus is definitely spreading! We need to call the CAC (Cheap Ass Control) center.

The DVX-100a is going for 250.00-275.00 / day in the Atlanta market.

Josh Bass November 23rd, 2004 11:35 PM

Wow. Interesting. I think everyone's infected with that virus.

George Ellis November 24th, 2004 07:07 AM

Just WOW. I checked out the craiglist for crews in Atlanta. Someone wanted a 16mm cameraman AND a Steadicam op for 16mm for free. But you do get a VHS.

Just WOW.

Dylan Couper November 24th, 2004 07:04 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Ellis : Someone wanted a 16mm cameraman AND a Steadicam op for 16mm for free. But you do get a VHS.

Just WOW. -->>>

Not even a DVD.... :)

Rob Lohman November 25th, 2004 01:49 PM

The offtopic discussion on DV versus uncompressed has been
split off to a new thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35491

Grinner Hester November 26th, 2004 06:31 PM

this is the kind of business wher people glady start out for free.
This makes for lots of sharks in the pond that will exploit talent as long as they can. We all know this before we get in it.
Therefor, we can'r gripe about it. Truth is, we have choices. I can choose to work for this place or that place. here are many crappy jobs out there. It's on us if we decide to take one.
When interviewing a company, just ensure they are who you want to spend more than half of your waking hours with. It's simple enough. Don't look at it as them interviewing you... but you decising weather or not to bless them with your presence.

James Emory December 23rd, 2004 04:42 PM

Most Rediculous to date - Kick a guy in the crotch!

Found this post on a popular production board

"Catchy title, huh? :) Looking for girls/women who would be interested in kicking a guy in thet nuts. :) It's mainly for a comedy website that features "jackass" type stunts. So if you think it's funny. Sense of humor I think is key :) You can reach me at xjsmith78x on my yahoo account ,and a reply on why you would like to do it might be a good start. Also a pic of yourself would be most appreciated, if at all possible. :)

$50 per half hour
$75 per hour

So, if you think kicking a guy in the nuts is funny or if it's something you'd like to try or if it's something you might enjoy then please feel free to respond :)
It'll most likely be done in public places so safety of the girls comes first. And yes we're trying to target a group of girls and not just one girl. Preferably college girls but anyone is welcomed :)"

Dylan Couper December 23rd, 2004 06:50 PM

Kick a guy in the nuts *AND* get paid?????
No way, it must be fake. ;)

James Emory December 29th, 2004 02:31 PM

Lesbian seeks platonic Sugar Daddy

I know this has nothing to do with production but it was one of the best pitches I have seen in while.

"Hi there. I've noticed something lately. There are a lot of women out there without jobs galavanting around in new cars wearing nice clothes and eating at expensive resturaunts. I work my butt off and I barely scrape by. This really got me to thinking, and I've made a decision. Yes, I am a lesbian, but I want a sugar daddy. So I'm making an offer.

First, a little bit about me:
I am a 24 year old Lesbian. I have great features, but I've kind of taken the boyish route as far as hair style and clothes go. I can show you high school pictures that prove I have knock out potential. I'm 5'8" and about 145. Blah, blah, blah...I'm cute. I have a great sense of humor. I work at a bar. I'm a singer/songwriter and I play guitar. I like sports, movies, and Thai food.

Here is what I can do for you:
I will clean your house. I will do your laundry. I will run your dishwasher (you must have a dishwasher). I will cook your dinner (or make dinner reservations). I will throw lavish parties for your friends and/or business partners. I will run errands, do the grocery shopping, take the dog to the vet, get the oil changed in the Beamer and the Escalade, and buy you new socks and underwear. I will answer the phone when it's someone you don't want to talk to and tell them that you are very busy and can't talk (when you are really just watching the Falcon's game in your leather recliner, kicked back with a bottle of Newcastle and some cashews). (With some help from my gay friends) I will revamp your wardrobe (and most likely your hair style and grooming habits) and make you irresistible to straight women. I will not sleep with you, but I will GET YOU LAID. A LOT.

In short, I will be a cross section of the most important people in any man's life. I'll be your best bud, your maid, your personal assistant, your gay friend, your lesbian friend, your confidant, your lackie, your "yes" man, and of course - your gay wife who doesn't sleep with you or fight with you and actually encourages you to bring home other women - hot women. And, if you're lucky, and I get really drunk, I might have amorous relations with one of those hot women you bring home and let you watch.

And all I ask in return is:
I get my own room in your very nice house and you buy me anything and everything I want.

If this is an offer you just can't refuse, drop me a line and we'll do lunch - on you."

Peace,
B

Rhett Allen December 29th, 2004 02:40 PM

gee, aside from the lesbian part, it sounds just like pretty much every woman I've met in the last 10 years! Hahahaha!

Dylan Couper December 29th, 2004 05:26 PM

Shit, that sounds like a pretty good deal...

James Emory January 10th, 2005 09:38 PM

Modest Deferred payment?....what?

Name talent, must this, must that......

Need great camera person - who is both people of color friendly and gay friendly - to shoot behind the scenes footage & interveiws on the set of a feature length movie shooting in xxxxxxx during the month of Feb. You'll have access to sets during shoots, h&mu, wardrobe, etc. - all the stuff that goes into the making of a movie. Plus you'll be responsible for principle actor interviews - that means standard doc/interview framing, lighting, and quality audio capture (lavs). You MUST be professional and able to handle yourself around name talent, both personally and technically - we cannot stress this enough.

We prefer DVX100a / 24AP shooters. Your footage will be bundled into promotional screeners and may well be used in a master DVD released for home distribution. A modest day rate will be deferred, but you should know that this movie and your footage will see the light of day. Therefore, this job is perfect for an accomplished student who is looking to improve their reel and make connections for the longterm. Can't go into all the irons in the fire at this point. Suffice it to say, we're really busy and we're all about bringing talented people along.

Josh Bass January 11th, 2005 02:22 AM

Beep! Beep! Beep!

That's my BS radar. Deferred = me not working on it.

By the way, looks like we can cuss in this forum?

Dylan Couper January 11th, 2005 06:46 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Beep! Beep! Beep!

That's my BS radar. Deferred = me not working on it.

By the way, looks like we can cuss in this forum? -->>>

---- yes! I don't give a ----.

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE BY MODERATOR.

James Emory January 22nd, 2005 04:24 PM

"No amateurs to edit my show for $25-$60 per show"

It is interesting how most of the demanders out there can't spel very wel

"Looking for aspiring Film Editors, students, producers, etc. I am in need a an editor for a new hip hop entertainment television show airing on a local XXX network. The show airs independent and national artists footage from behind the scene. The show has a good lineup of artist for the first season and is looking to sydicate in 2 other markets as early as the summer.

The job doesn't pay well at first but has the potential to pay more as the show grows. Currently the pay is just $25-60 per episode editted + school credit if needed. This will be a weekly thing. We are also in need of a hot editor to make the intro and commercial as well. We are leaning more towards someone that will serve as an intern and possible get credit from their school. EXPIERIENCE A MUST. No AMETEURS ACCEPTED YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A DEMO OF YOUR WORK. If this is you please contact me immediately. I will not train anyone. You must have the capabilities to edit the video yourself and just mail it to me, or I can pick it up. You will be given full credit on the show as editor"

Josh Bass January 28th, 2005 02:31 PM

Here you go, children:

"We are shooting a 35mm music video for a major label Hip Hop Artist
on Monday the 31st of January. What we need are production assisstants to
aid in the 1 day film shoot.

Not much in the realm of compensation, however, if your a film/ communication
student you may recieve a copy to use for your reel. This will definitely look
good on your resume."

I like it 'cause it tells you they have a substantial budget AND they're screwing you.

James Emory January 28th, 2005 08:07 PM

Now don't get mad at me Josh because I like your wise crack comments and contributions to this and all threads. But, they aren't really demanding too much in that post. Yes, they can afford 35mm and can't pay for labor but they are up front about the job and the pay and not very demanding. The problem with posts in general is you never know what is going to happen until you get to the set even if the post was positive and promised alot. But that's another thread. What frustrates me the most is when people demand specific skills and gear for a project but have no budget. You must have this, you must have that....but I can't pay you kind of thing. I've had to force myself not to post a couple of borderline posts that were just not demanding or rediculous enough.

James Emory February 1st, 2005 12:32 PM

This is great!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38696

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2005 12:57 PM

Speaking of bad spelling...

"ridiculous"

...that's with an i

...is the fact that this thread is the one most likely to get shut down. Teetering on the brink, you clowns!

James Emory February 1st, 2005 01:13 PM

Oooh, you got me! Hee haw, hee haw! Ha, ha, ha!! Please don't shut this thread down. We need this kind of comic relief as ridiculous as it is. It's sort of like The O'Reilly Factor's most ridiculous item of the day.

Joe Carney February 4th, 2005 12:15 PM

Hmmm, funny, I offered to go to Germany and work just for beer. Not a single German answered back. I mean that is pretty cheap isn't it? I'll even learn the language if needed. But now I want a signed autograph from Franke Potente in addition to the beer. And if I can get her phone number, I'll buy my own beer.

any takers? Ich sprecken eine kliene deutsch, I think. With a southern German drawl of course.