DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/99377-ridiculous-job-offers-demands.html)

James Emory October 18th, 2005 09:12 AM

Now that one is even more ridiculous! Or can I say, ridiculouser? Walking away from that one is the best thing you could have done. Working for free to get experience is one thing but noone should ever have to spend their own money or use their own stuff for a project, especially for people you don't even know.

Bob Zimmerman October 18th, 2005 09:48 AM

There is a local movie theater, a real old one. They have plays and people voluteer. All the money is going to restore the building. That is a good reason to work for free.

I won't even do wedding photography for relatives or friends for free. I might give them a lower price, but I've got to much invested in equipment. and my time is worth something.

If they want free I'd show up with my wifes pocket size coolpix!!

Bill Porter October 18th, 2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I've got a great idea. I start my production company with nothing. Run a ad for people to work for next to nothing or free if they have less than 5 years exprience,who have all the equipment and I make all the money. I could even hire some illegal aliens to work around the office. I don't even need to buy a camera. That really takes the pressure of me and my wallet!!

Ha ha ha! Yes, that one is great.

Bill Porter October 18th, 2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
If they want free I'd show up with my wifes pocket size coolpix!!

Yes but do you charge to convert to sepia?

Bob Zimmerman October 18th, 2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Porter
Yes but do you charge to convert to sepia?

Of course!!

James Emory October 28th, 2005 02:48 PM

Looking for someone to take pride in their work!

They want someone to edit for hours and then author a DVD for that pay. Aaand, by the way, that person must take pride in their work!

Experienced Video Editors Needed for editing weddings. Must be capable of completing with chapters, menus, and titling. We are looking for people who take pride in their work. Please email any sample or your work if available.

Xxxxxxxx Films

Compensation: $150 per wedding

Craig Seeman October 28th, 2005 10:54 PM

Now how's this for the ultimate audacity! 2 camera people with XL1, you bring stock, lights and wireless mics. Two 11 hour days and only $250 total! The stock alone can cost $150 or so. He posted this ad a few days ago at $300 no less and DROPPED the price with this post! So you come in with $10G plus of gear and get under $5.70/hr per person BEFORE tape expense! I'd say this guy's a real slime BUT he's been posting these ads for months and HE GETS FOOLS TO DO THIS! I can't even imagine a newbie doing that much work with that much gear for so little money.

I sent him an email for $1600 for two days. That would be under $37/hr per person before expenses. Even that's on the low side for corporate work IMHO.

Two Cameraman Needed $250.00This Sat/Sun Only
2 videographers/camera men needed to videotape 2 day event This Sat and Sunday October 29, 30. Must have XL 1, bring stock, dv camera with broadcast quality and bring lighting. We are shooting in dark room, Must have experience shooting seminars. Needed immediately! Last Minute changes..Call James at 718-341-2327. Event address is: 144-02 135th street, Jamaica in JFK Holiday Inn. Event is from 8am-7:00pm. Must have your own transportation. You need to bring 1 lav mic and one wire less mic.
FREE Breakfast and Lunch
this is in or around Jamaica, Queens
no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $250.00

James Emory October 29th, 2005 12:07 AM

Surely these kinds of employers couldn't care much about the product because I can't imagine someone that knows what they are doing working under those terms. I bet that free breakfast is a boiled egg and a little paper cup of immitation orange juice. I can't imagine what the lunch is.

George Ellis October 31st, 2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
They want someone to edit for hours and then author a DVD for that pay. Aaand, by the way, that person must take pride in their work!

Experienced Video Editors Needed for editing weddings. Must be capable of completing with chapters, menus, and titling. We are looking for people who take pride in their work. Please email any sample or your work if available.

Xxxxxxxx Films

Compensation: $150 per wedding

I saw this one on that board too and laughed. Showed it to my wife and she laughed too. :D

Bill Porter October 31st, 2005 01:29 PM

I emailed them some samples and wrote, "I assume it was a typo and you meant $1500"

Josh Bass November 4th, 2005 12:09 PM

The mother of them all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: job-108764624@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-11-04, 11:25AM CST

Looking for cameraman in adult films. we pay $15 dollars and hour.if you have a video resume and your own camera and think this might be for you please call me. 7832.721.6926
Job location is alief

Compensation: $12 an hour

This is a contract job.

no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.

no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!

no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

yes -- Reposting this message elsewhere is OK.

Don't all jump on this at once

James Emory November 5th, 2005 11:05 AM

I wonder why the rate went from $15 to $12? I wouldn't do it for any less than $20!

James Emory November 5th, 2005 11:07 AM

Talk about waiting until the last minute!!

DVX 100 or GL-2 for wedding today 3:30pm to 5:00pm

Compensation: $50.00

James Emory November 7th, 2005 09:03 PM

Anyone who falls for this deserves to get screwed!

"Do you think you can edit music videos? Wanna try? XX Productions is looking for editors to edit projects to aire on BET?MTV. To be considered all applicants have to use Final Cut/AVID or any other proffesional level programs. We don't want just someone to cut things together but to use special effects and other things to showcase our work. If you would like to apply, email me and i will mail you a CD with all the files for our recent project. You edit it and send it back. Your project will not be showcased on TV but we will look it over to hire you for upcoming projects. We have a shoot scheduled for the end of the month in which we need an editor for. This is the prefect way to get your foot in the door, and get experience with working with a production company. Please email phone,address, name, and a breif list of experience (do not attach an entire resume), and School/College you attended"

George Ellis November 8th, 2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
Anyone who falls for this deserves to get screwed!

"Do you think you can edit music videos? Wanna try? XX Productions is looking for editors to edit projects to aire on BET?MTV. To be considered all applicants have to use Final Cut/AVID or any other proffesional level programs. We don't want just someone to cut things together but to use special effects and other things to showcase our work. If you would like to apply, email me and i will mail you a CD with all the files for our recent project. You edit it and send it back. Your project will not be showcased on TV but we will look it over to hire you for upcoming projects. We have a shoot scheduled for the end of the month in which we need an editor for. This is the prefect way to get your foot in the door, and get experience with working with a production company. Please email phone,address, name, and a breif list of experience (do not attach an entire resume), and School/College you attended"

Saw that. A Track Matte with your name or company name through the middle (scrolling) would fix any alternate use without compensation :D