DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/99377-ridiculous-job-offers-demands.html)

Craig Seeman May 31st, 2005 06:41 PM

Do you have experience shooting with Panasonic Varicam? You can make $12.50/hr ($100 a day but they don't say if the "day" is only 8 hours). Flipping burgers, shooting with Varicam, heck it's all the same isn't it?

Present Focus, Inc is producing a documentary style DVD and is looking for an HD Videographer ASAP!

You...
Must have experience using Panasonic HD Varicam.
Must be willing to accept payment of 100/day.
Will extend your Varicam knowledge by three weeks of work.
Will have access to your footage.
Will be able to cut your reel together at our state-of-the art editorial facility for free.

This work could lead to a year worth of employment shooting with the HD varicam for the next 10 months.

Visit our website: www.presentfocus.com.

We do not want to get bambarded by inquiries. So, please, If you do not have Varicam experience, and dont fit the requirments listed above - DON'T reply to this ad!!

Josh Bass May 31st, 2005 08:02 PM

How 'bout this? The station blanked out is a local affiliate of a major network.

"______ is shooting a brand new kids show at the Houston Zoo and looking
for
volunteers to assist on production days. Duties for volunteers may
include
monitoring parents/guardians during taping, assisting with handling
crowds
and answering questions from the general public with regards to the
show as
the zoo will remain open during the production schedule.

The volunteer schedule includes:

Tuesday June 7

Wednesday June 8

Thursday June 9

Friday June 10

Tuesday June 14

Wednesday June 15

Friday June 17

You may select one or more full days. Volunteers will arrive at the zoo
at
8:30 AM and remain on site until the day’s taping is complete at or
around 5
PM. A midday break for lunch will be provided."

Wow these duties sound very much like what at a. . .PA does! Pay me!

James Emory June 2nd, 2005 12:41 PM

13 weeks of work, deferred, no entry level applicants...what?

Shooting a single pilot on deferred is one thing, but 13 weeks/episodes, a whole season!? Now that is truly ridiculous!!

Lighting
"Broadcast Lighting technician needed broadcast credit and deferred compensation/payment. An Xxxxxxx based independent film company is seeking an experienced lighting technician for its network series airing this fall and to join their dynamic production family who has a proven track record of providing camera and set location lighting for motion pictures and/or television shows. Two (2) plus years of lighting experience is required. 13 episodes are scheduled to air. This is a deferred payment position. For consideration forward your resume to xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. Light travel to Baltimore, Maryland and Savannah, Georgia is required. This is a deferred payment position. We cover all travel expenses and provide equipment. No entry levels please."

Sound
"Broadcast Quality Sound Technician needed broadcast credit and deferred compensation/Payment. An Xxxxxxx based independent film company is seeking an experienced broadcast sound guru for its network series airing this fall. 13 episodes are scheduled to air. The Sound Technician must have a proven track record of providing skillful digital sound for motion pictures and/or television shows. Join our dynamic production family. Two (2) plus years of broadcast sound experience is required. Forward your resume to xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. This is a deferred payment position. No entry levels please."

Editor
"Broadcast Editor needed broadcast opening credit and deferred compensation/Payment. An Xxxxxxx based independent film company is seeking an experienced editor for its network series airing this fall. 13 episodes are scheduled to air. The Editor must have a proven track record of providing skillful digital editing of motion pictures and/or television shows. Join our dynamic production family. One (1) plus years of editing experience is required using Video Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Avid Xpress DV v2 or v3 or any other window’s based editing software tool. Forward your resume to xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. This is a deferred payment position. No entry levels please."

Josh Bass June 2nd, 2005 06:07 PM

By the way. . why are we protecting these people by blanking/x'ing out the names/cities etc.?

Dylan Couper June 2nd, 2005 06:34 PM

Blanking them out?
You mean I spent 10 minutes polishing my resume to send it to Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com for nothing????

James Emory June 4th, 2005 12:14 AM

I am not really trying to personally attack anyone but instead just listing the ridiculousness as comic relief. That's why I don't disclose their identities. These kinds of individuals or companies will eventually just go away.

Josh Bass June 4th, 2005 09:11 AM

Well, I don't think CBS is just going to go away. Oops.

Dylan Couper June 6th, 2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Well, I don't think CBS is just going to go away. Oops.

Ok, that had me laughing out loud... :)

Josh Bass June 6th, 2005 06:54 PM

For real, yo.

That's who wanted the volunteers for the shoot at the Zoo.

Craig Seeman June 17th, 2005 05:46 PM

Now the ad below looks innocent enough although "experienced" and $12/hr don't go together, neither do "similar projects" unless he has many "daughters." If you know Manhattan (New York City), you know those numbers don't jive with "Upper West Side" either (Co-Op Apartments can go for $2 Million). If you hop on over to his website (insight-media.com) you can see what he's doing. He's expanding his business on your back!

Video editing

Reply to: jsm@insight-media.com
Date: 2005-06-17, 4:21PM EDT

Looking for an experienced Mac video editor to transform home video footage into finished 10 minute video piece for daughter's upcoming birthday party.

Please send description of your experience with video editing and hours of availability for this project.

Other similar projects upcoming.
Job location is upper west side
Compensation: $12-15/hour

James Emory June 21st, 2005 01:32 PM

This one is not as demanding as it is just RIDICULOUS!!

"I am doing a non-profit TV show like "The Electric Company" to teach kids how to read and understand music notation, and this weekend I need to shoot some 15-second clips of kids and scenery on silent 16mm. Can anyone help? I need:

Someone who has a dolly and maybe 10-20 ft of track
Someone who has a couple of standard lights, maybe HMI Fresnels
w/accessories
Friends who can hold bouncers (reflectors)
Someone with a generator to power the lights

That's all. This will be shot on and around Xxxxxxxxx Road probably, or near Xxxxx. If you can help me, PLEASE let me know ASAP!

Compensation: A warm glow - also complete credits and a copy of your work on DVD or VHS"

James Emory June 23rd, 2005 11:39 AM

Aren't most commission jobs full time? If you don't work, you don't eat!

I visited their listed website and it doesn't even exist. Why do people do this?

"Come work for the next BET. America's newest urban television network is starting ground floor and seeks Account Executives for the Atlanta area. As an Account Executive you will be selling TV Advertising both on the phone and face to face. Therefore your own transportation is a must. You will primarily work from home except when meeting with clients at their office. This is a professional opportunity to get on board and move up quickly. The position is commission based and pays according to your performance. First year earnings could potentially fall between $30k-$50k plus a full benefits package. Major Perks include trips, vacations, celebrity networking and a fun upbeat environment. For immediate consideration, email (only) your resume to xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com."

Craig Seeman June 27th, 2005 09:57 PM

$100 a day in NYC for an EXPERIENCED camera person using Panasonic DVC Pro 900. So if they were shooting DV25 would it be $50 a day for an experienced camera person. The only thing that allows these nutcrackers to do this is that there are probably camera people who accept this.

I'm still waiting for the 30˘/hr experienced Discreet Flame operator ads.

!!! Camera Person Wanted !!!

Reply to: shootwithus@yahoo.com
Date: 2005-06-27, 10:08PM EDT

Production company is looking for an experienced camera person for occasionally shoots in NYC area. We are shooting variety of projects from reality shows to documentary films.
Must be reliable , knowledgeable and have previous experience with working on Panasonic DVC Pro 900 ( we are using P2 DVC Pro 50) . Ability of traveling a + (food and accommodation provided)
Please e-mail your resume to shootwithus@yahoo.com and we will get back to those who qualify.
Compensation: $100 per day

Matt Champagne June 28th, 2005 01:35 AM

Quote:

Must have experience using Panasonic HD Varicam.
Must be willing to accept payment of 100/day.
Will extend your Varicam knowledge by three weeks of work.
Quote:

$100 a day in NYC for an EXPERIENCED camera person using Panasonic DVC Pro 900. .
I think the sad part about alot of these ads is not so much the compensation, but the experience to compensation ratio that they are demanding. Personally, I would go out and do something totally for free if I got to play with a varicam, a DVC Pro 900, and some professional dollys and stuff. Obviously, my results would be terrible...but hey you'd get *something* shot on varicam.

Hell, I worked about 3 months on a guys student project (both as an actor...then as the DP reshooting the entire thing after he realized he had no idea how to do it - he's an art major doing a rotoscope just to clarify) and its looking very likely that I may even have to edit it...all for free...just to play with a DVX100a for a little while.

But to ask experienced people to do that is ludicrous.

Quote:

"I am doing a non-profit TV show like "The Electric Company" to teach kids how to read and understand music notation, and this weekend I need to shoot some 15-second clips of kids and scenery on silent 16mm. Can anyone help? I need:
Is it just me or does 15 second clips of kids take a really creepy turn when instead of using DV (the 'why would you even consider anything else' choice for this type of thing) and instead uses SILENT 16mm? Especially considering this is to help read and understand musical notation!?!?!?!?!

James Emory June 28th, 2005 11:47 PM

I think we have all worked for free a few times just to get experience. I remember that I did whatever I had to do to get my hands on gear and learn how to operate it and at the same time tried not to get taken advantage of. However, I didn't rely on that to make a living so it wasn't so bad. I only worked on things that could benefit my advancement and knowlege. These employers that want people that make a living doing this to work for nothing or next to nothing is just absolutely ridiculous and is the main reason that I started this thread, exposing exploitation and to provide a little humor to see just what these knuckleheads will ask for. As for the ones that do work for such low rates. They are probably learning so the employer will get what they pay for. The reality is that these people can't make a steady living working for such low rates so they will eventually move on. The bad news is that there is a steady stream of new dreamers to fill their place and they're just going to have to find their way like we all did.