How do you get this type of blue sunlight cinematography? - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 28th, 2020, 03:12 PM   #301
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: How do you get this type of blue sunlight cinematography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Adding new characters doesn't always cover holes in the plot or story, quite a few films have holes if you stop and think about them. It's how you handle them with a slight of hand that covers them, so the audience don;'t notice them. Solving them may need the writer to do some thinking and may involve going back and rethinking their set ups.

An amusing thing about the time of the USSR was that a number of Russians would speak English with a North American accent.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that your film making friends like winding you up.
Yeah most movies I have seen have holes and the movies were still successes, no one seems to care, but for maybe beta readers are more picky about them because the are looking compared to most viewers?

Oh well the submarine script would be set in modern times and not the former USSR I don't think, if that makes any difference.

But for the current script I was wanting to do as well, which I think would still cost less, it was said before on here, that I am trying to emulate movies that are too big budget.

What microbudget movies should I try to be inspired by more, in the crime thriller genre then, if anyone has any ideas on that?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2020, 04:28 PM   #302
Inner Circle

Do the Russians still have an operating submarine fleet?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2020, 05:30 PM   #303
also known as Ryan Wray

The submarine used in the plot is older, but the plot is still set in modern times.
Old November 28th, 2020, 05:41 PM   #304
Inner Circle

Here are some low budget examples: https://screenrant.com/low-budget-th...-blockbusters/

https://www.raindance.org/25-low-bud...nched-careers/

Although, most have a bigger budget than yours, especially if you allow for inflation.

Regarding Russian subs:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutto...h=33e39c807a6e

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/se...submarine-show
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2020, 06:35 PM   #305
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. I've seen two of the movies but I can chek out the rest. Well normally in a crime thriller there is going to be physical altercations between the characters, if you want someone to get killed especially, so would something like these be do-able on a low budget, if it made sense to the plot to have them:

There are also scenes of people being shot though, since cops bring guns to arrests of course, so would something like this be do-able, with today's low bduget effects:

I don't want to go for anything too flashy or over the top but develop the characters through the violence, that drives the plot if that makes sense.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; November 28th, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old November 29th, 2020, 02:28 AM   #306
Inner Circle

You want to drive the story, not the plot.

The needs of the characters will drive the story, to meet their need some characters will use violence.

Physical altercations are doable on a low budget, rolling trucks are less so, unless you've got connections and old trucks.
Old November 29th, 2020, 02:34 AM   #307
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Well I was thinking for the truck, we just shoot it with a green screen behind the truck, and we just flip it in post and have the actors climb out of it, as if it was flipped over, when it's actually right side up during shooting. But this would just be a bonus and I do not have to have this, but still wanted to try and experiment to see if it would work.
Old November 29th, 2020, 02:38 AM   #308
Inner Circle

The truck was discussed earlier, if you're shooting on a tight schedule, you could easily spend a couple of hours getting one shot.
Old November 29th, 2020, 04:01 AM   #309
Inner Circle

Would this just look totally unrealistic. I’m not sure I could make this look real. So many problems. Hair, loose items etc. Sounds like a nightmare and time consuming and equipment heavy
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2020, 07:25 AM   #310
Inner Circle

Reminds me of the SNL Toonces the cat skit. Features stock footage that 70s movies were so fond of the car driving off a cliff into a canyon.

Speaking of doing things you shouldn’t. What ever happened to recording the gun shots? You spent months planning and talking about it. Did you ever do it?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2020, 10:18 AM   #311
also known as Ryan Wray

Well perhaps if I do the effect I can show them start to climb out of the truck, but then cut away quickly, so the audience just got the idea that they got out and escaped. The characters are wearing hood masks though, since they are in the commission of crimes, and do not want to be recognized. So loose hair may not be a problem therefore.

Yes I did record the gunshots.
Old November 29th, 2020, 10:28 AM   #312
Inner Circle

So what were the results? I assume they didn’t sound like what you hear in movies and would have been better off buying professionally recorded sound effects. I think that was the consensus in that thread.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #313
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah they didn't sound the best, but it was still a good sound recording learning experience. Some movies do use the live gun shots, like I read Heat (1995) did, so I guess the live recordings are preferred sometimes then, if that's the case?
Old November 29th, 2020, 05:42 PM   #314
Inner Circle

I don't know why you put in the "if that's the case" question. There is reasoning behind using live audio in "Heat" because of the building's reverberation etc so it was probably recorded in stereo. They were also using assault rifles which are puncher than pistols.

What works in "Heat" may not work in your film because you don't have the resources. However, there lots of times in documentaries and news where live gunshots are recorded. It depends on what you want, bearing in mind that most feature films replace the live shots and that seems to drive you more than anything.
Old November 29th, 2020, 05:52 PM   #315
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. I can use sound effects. As for recording in stereo, why does that make a difference, if the mics are right next to each other? Don't the mics need to be significantly further apart for stereo to be effective?

I was also wondering in my script, it said before that I reveal too many plot points too fast. I was wondering, how long should I wait in between plot points before revealing the next one, if there is a good guideline for that?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; November 29th, 2020 at 10:31 PM.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production