Howdy from Texas! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 21st, 2003, 10:49 PM   #31
Tourist

Do you have Yahoo messenger?
We should talk.
If not, my email is rainman748@yahoo.com
Tom West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 10:54 PM   #32
Major Player

NO, i tried it several times and didn't like it too much. I only use AIM. Sure, email me if you want: nickm AT rgv.rr.com
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Howdy from a new member in Texas.

What a great site this is. Just wanted to let everyone know how excited I am to be a new memeber here.

I'm a chiropractor by trade in my 7th year of practice. I'm about 40 mi east of Dallas since I'm sure most will not know where Greenville is.

I got into DV about 2 years ago when a couple that I know wanted me to shoot their wedding as their "present" from me, since their budget was tight. I had dabbled in editing a little. I was using the old "EditDV" at the time to put together more interesting vacation videos for myself and friends.

Not knowing anything about wedding videography I ended up doing a pretty respectable job. I'm embarrassed to say that I used a 1st gen. 1-chip Canon Elura backed up with my parents old 8mm for my second angle (the humanity, I know).

Well two, years and four unsolicited weddings later my friends and family have convinced me that in addition to seeing 200-250 patients a week in my "real" job I need to try out the wedding video business "for real" as well.

I've graduated from EditDV to Final Cut 4, from iDVD to, DVD Studio Pro and from my old, but trusty, Elura to THREE GL2s.

So from now until January I'll be doing research, creating demos, acquiring all the necessary pro equipment, promo materials, website, getting the legal part of the business set up and generally getting my name out there for a 2004 startup.

I've already found a wealth of knowledge on this site and I'm confident it will be an invaluable tool on my road to success in this business.

Again, glad to be a part of the site and hopefully I can get a chance to talk to many of you on a variety of subjects!

Sincerely,

Dr. Brad Carrier

http://carrierchiro.chiroweb.com/
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #34
High School Student

Welcome!

3 GL2's, wowzers!

What I can recommend to add to that list is some good audio gear, ecspecially wireless.

Practice is good, and you've already done 4 weddings, so you got some experience doing it, but doing it as a professional, with this nicer gear, i'd recommend to keep your prices cheaper then most around the area, while starting out, and possibly do your first one or two for free or really cheap, to get the hang of it.

Oh yeah, you'll also need 2 other good camera operators, of course. :D

Good luck.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Alex -

Yes, after the first couple weddings I figured out pretty quick I needed some wireless lav mics. Experience has also led me to invest in other critical equipment such as a good tripod & head, video light etc. I do plan on offering more and charging significantly less than others in the area just to gain experience and build a more impressive demo reel for the future.
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #36
Major Player

Hello from San Marcos, TX

Hello from San Marcos, the home of the incredible Chris Hurd, whom I had no idea was so famous in this circle until reaching DVinfo.net!

My name is Clay Stansberry and I am just getting into the DV world, and just realizing how awesome and fun it can be! I have been overwhelmed at the enormity of information there is and the incredible displays of creativity in shorts, commercials, and off-the-wall whacky stuff and am eager to be a part of it.

By day, I am am a High School and Junior High Band Director, and by night a DV junkie! Have been on here lurking about for a while and decided it was time to jump in head first and see how much more information I can fill my head with. I shoot with an XL-1S everytime I can get my hands on one and will be editing with FCP as soon as my G5 arrives. I bring to DV a background in Photography (the last 8 years)...have been doing it on the side, but this is just way more fun.

I am happy to be here and I hope I will learn from each and everyone of you, and who knows? Maybe I can teach as well...let me know if you need help controling 150 students in a shoot! I look forward to talking with as many of you as possible and making some new friends in the process. Thanks to one and all in advance.

Sincerely,

Clay Stansberry
San Marcos, Texas
J. Clayton Stansberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #37
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome, Clay!

I'm also an ex-resident of San Marcos during my years at "the university formerly known as SWT." San Marcos is a beautiful place to shoot...hope you'll share some footage with us someday.

Happy shooting.
Old October 5th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Clay,

I'm actually a little bit outside San Marcos now, but it's still home as far as I'm concerned. Nice to see someone else from the Heart of the central Texas Hill Country! There are a few other San Marcosian members lurking around here somewhere, not including the transplated John Locke. Feel free to drop in on my old stomping grounds at Media Design downtown on the Square at the corner of Hopkins & Guadalupe, right across the street from the old "Beacon City Bank" building from that 1972 movie The Getaway with Steve McQueen. As you know a lot of movies have been shot in our town! Anyway those guys can give you a hand if you ever need VHS or DVD duplication done locally. I know they've done some work for the ISD before, so you might have met 'em already. Welcome aboard, we're all learning around here -- see you at Palmers,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #39
Outer Circle

Welcome, J! A DV junkie at night, eh? I spend most of my evenings duplicating VHS tapes, but I managed to take a few pics this afternoon. I got back from downtown, buying some film and a filter, and I saw this women pushing a baby carriage. There was no baby in it, though, but a small cute dog all stretched out enjoing the ride! Luckily I had my camera with me. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #40
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard brad and good luck with your projects!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Howdy from Texas

Just giving a loud and rowdy howdy from D/FW. I live in Aubrey, work in Denton, and I've seen people on these boards from many surrounding cities (Carrollton, Lewisville, even Greenville (my birthplace!), etc...) I just bought a GL2 and am trying to get established in small audio/video production with my buddy, who also has a GL2. We have a few weddings under our belts and a few other A/V gigs. This site has been an invaluable resource for all of my learnings.

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

Anywho, just saying hello. Thanks for this great community.
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #42
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Bobby and good luck with your "company"!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Hey Clay,

A belated welcome to the group. I got my degree at SWT back in 88 and loved San Marcos. I guess its got a new name now that sounds like a made-up school in a movie. DOA with Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan was filmed there my last summer.

Welcome aboard.

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #44
New Boot

To Joe Carney...

Easy does it on ole' Abilene town. Some of us ex-San Marcosites now live out here in West Texas! Abilene might not be much to look at, but the people out here are awesome! Kind, good-hearted, honest... it's a slower pace out here and after parking lot traffic jams on the I-35 corridor, having a 10 minute maximum traffic stoppage is o.k. by me.

By the way, James, welcome. I'm brand new here myself. My wife and I moved up here to Abilene a couple of years ago from San Marcos where I had worked at SMBA. We sure do miss our friends and the scenery, but not the traffic! You've got some big shoes to fill, following in Chris Hurd's footsteps... but I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks for letting me defend my dusty West Texas town a little bit.

Jeff
Jeff Baergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #45
Tourist

Howdy from Texas!

Hey all!

Just popped in here to check out the stuff and found tons of info! What a terrific place!

I'm in the McKinney area which is just north of Plano (made famous by Shane Carruth, maker of Primer

My current project is a short film/demo reel titled escape which I'll be shooting with a GL2.

If there are anyother Texans around be sure to post a note!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood