Howdy from Texas! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM   #76
Regular Crew

I'm in for Guero's

Hey! Add me to the list of gathering DVINFO Austinites... It'd be great to meet y'all. Let me know when and where this shindig ends up...
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #77
New Boot

I'm in Houston
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Hello from Victoria, Texas

Hello,

Victoria is about 2 hours south of Austin, Texas (between Austin & Corpus Christi) I started my own videography business at 17 and have been running with it ever since. Started with football games for local high schools and my recent addition is weddings (whew!). I am beginning an Independent feature in Victoria in the fall of this year to raise money for local charities.

Equip.
I use a GL2, Davis & Sanford Steady Stick, Davis & Sanford F-12 tripod. Impact lighting kit, a few pars & gels, Canon wide-angle lens, VS 100W on camera light w/ 1hr battery pack. 9hr GL2 battery. A couple of 5-in-1 reflectors, green screen, about 100 DVD tapes (most are archival, better than storing on Hard drive)

Editing
Sony Vaio Desktop-2GB Ram, 2-250GB Hard drives, 3.2GHz Processor.
OLD Sonic Foundry Vegas 3.0 :p
Ulead DVD workshop 2

About to get.
BeachTek DXA-8
2 countryman B3 mikes
Mac G5 w/20" display
1 to 5 DVD duplicator
More Sony DV tapes

Anyone else in Victoria, Texas?
Matt Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #79
Chris Dixon

Another Austinite

I'm in Austin / Pflugerville actually. No real camera yet, working up to that one. Currently using my DV Sony w/ FCP HD Suite.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #80
RED Code Chef

Hello Matt, thanks for your introduction and welcome aboard!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM   #81
Regular Crew

southeast texas?

hello everyone, im jared thomas. i live in southeast texas and i think im the only person here that enjoys the art of film/video. Well it atleast seems that way. If anyone knows where beaumont is, im moving there in a few weeks...but its not a very big move, about 30 minutes from where i am now. I work as a p.a. for a local a.b.c station in beaumont, thats why im moving there. i also have a very small video production company that is just getting started called Rhythmic Productions. you can learn more about that at www.rhythmicproductions.com . like i said i dont know anyone around here into dv, so thats why im posting this...in hopes of possibly meeting some people and seeing what others around here are doing with dv. im not very advanced in the ways of dv so i was hoping of learning some tips and tricks of the trade and maybe collaberating on some projects or something. im only 18 so im still young and have alot of learning to do. i would like to work with video for a living somehow...possibly documentaries: music/special intrest kinda stuff. im not sure. i would love to work on a feature film one of these days. yeah thats sorda a quick rundown on me....anyone in the area that would like to meet up and exchange a conversation, holler at me via email or post on here.....thanks.

p.s. even if you live remotely close, im willing to travel for a decent conversation....i know what your thinking, and yes i am that lonley.

p.p.s. im not really that lonley, i have plenty of awsome friends...but none of them know anything about dv filmmaking....................so i dont even consider them friends.

p.p.p.s disregard previous p.p.s....that is all. thank you.
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #82
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Jared. There are all sorts of folk here from Texas! See the
following thread for example:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39148

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #83
Regular Crew

im in southeast texas, about 1 hours drive north east of houston....in beaumont to be exact. i would love to meet some of DVi people, holler back.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #84
Regular Crew

thanks rob.
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #85
Tourist

Hello from West Texas

First off, I am throughly impressed by the wealth of knowledge that can be obtained from this site. It's great to see so many people so eager to share their knowledge and experience so quick and freely. Thanks to the gurus that help the greenhorns like myself break into the adventurous videography/film game. Through a series of conversations with a friend of mine we aired out our desire to immerse ourselves in the world of film. Both of us are writers and I am an artist of sorts. So, naturally we wanted to develop and hone a craft from our talents. Of course, with that was born big dreams of big cameras followed by big paychecks, but soon we realized the reality of it all and we came down from our initial high. I am a World Geography and World History teacher and John is a teacher as well, so we can gain some experience on the weekends and during the summer months. We would eventually like to break into filming documentaries and even write/ shoot independent films later, but we are at an impasse mainly because we do not know where to start and we do not have too many resources here in good ol' West Texas. If you any of you gurus out there have any advice for a lowly "grasshopper" like myself, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Keith McAnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Howdy from Dallas!

I suggest either going to your local community cable television station, and working for free to learn how to shoot and edit. Or, getting some books.

websites work as well:
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/a...e.jsp?id=32317

http://www.b-roll.net/ (click on the "tips" tab)

Also, watch films and pay attention to the lighting. TV commercials as well, you'll have no idea how many times i've copied other DP's when I shoot commercials.

Well, good luck!
Jacques Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #87
Tourist

Thanks Jacques,

I will be checking into that. Can you suggest any particular films?

Thanks for all of your helpful advice,

Keith
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly. . . who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt
Keith McAnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #88
Regular Crew

MSProductions
Matt Sawyers
Victoria, Texas Videography
www.mattsfilms.com
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #89
RED Code Chef

Hello Keith, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! It's good to have you with us!

Old July 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #90
Tourist

I taught video production for Victoria I.S.D. and Region 3 Education Service Center for 10 years before moving to Orlando 2 years ago. I also did videos for several school organizations including the cheerleaders, swimteam, and D.A.R.E. Possibly we have met.
Pat Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood