Howdy from Texas! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 26th, 2001, 01:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

From Frisco, Texas

Greetings from Frisco, Texas (North of DFW)

I'm a screenwriter turned writer/director/producer. Tired of beating on agents doors so I figured I'll write, produce and direct as much of my own (and possibly others) work to gain more experience. I've REALLY enjoyed learning my camera (VX2000) the fine art lighing, audio and other elements that make a production work.

Best book(s) I've read:
Rebel without a Crew. Robert Rodriguez - I've amazed myself what is possible with some inexpensive lighting, a cheap tripod turned mini-jib/mono pod/steadicam (really!) and a large roll of duct tape.

Story by Robert McKee - You know what? It IS the story...

Always enjoy conversation with other creative types.

Wayde Gardner
Right Field Films
www.geocities.com/rightfieldfilms/index.html

Last edited by Wayde Gardner; October 27th, 2001 at 10:09 AM.
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 02:32 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, I can't even find Frisco on my Rand-McNally map, Wade! And I thought I lived in a small town -- we have some family in Carrollton -- or are you fruther north?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2001, 08:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Where the heck is Frisco...

I get that a lot.

Frisco is straight up Preston Rd (Hwy 289) and 5 miles north of Hwy 121. Frisco was really a road bump until 5-6 years ago. I moved there in '91 (pop. 3900+) Today, it's the fastest growing city in Texas and I think #2 in the nation.

We've gone from a 2100sq.ft. grocery store to at least five major stores and a 1.5M sq.ft. Mall. Population today... about 45,000. No kidding.

This Spring they (Frisco and developer Tom Hicks) will start construction on a minor league BB facility and the Stars new training facility. Who'd a thunk?
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 03:50 PM   #4
msmithhisler

Hello from Texas

Hello Everyone

I didn't want to title the post "howdy y'all" because that would have been too obvious and besides, I'm originally from New Mexico - Texas is just my adopted state.

First, I'd just like to say "what a great site!" - and very much needed. I've always benefited so much from on-line communities because they're such a great way to share information and do collective trouble-shooting.

I've been in the video biz for about 15 years, mostly in the corporate world. I started editing (professionally) in 1989 the old fasioned way - in a roomfull of equipment and tape machines. It still totally blows me away that I can do more with video now on the desktop than I could 10 years ago with a half million dollars worth of equipment!

After my corporate linear editing experience, I delved into non-linear with the Media 100 when I started my own business. My partners and I had the first Media100 sold in the Dallas Ft. Worth area (Media 100 version 1.1)! Also did a lot of freelancing - a few commercials, a little bit of sports and a lot of corporate work.

After about 5 years of that I came back to the corporate world full-time. I'm a much better editor than salesman and I'd rather worry about doing good video while I'm at work instead of how I'm going to pay the bills. I'm still using the Media100 and a Sony Betacam rig but we decided to purchase an XL1 recently to complement the Betacam. It's nice to have a smaller, lighter camera that can be used on a steadicam rig that we can afford. Also It's good to have longer record times in some situations. I'm still so impressed with the image guality of the XL1 and anxious to delve into some of the more advanced features of the camera like frame movie mode and the intervalometer for time-lapse videography.

Hope to get to know y'all.

Mark Smithhisler
Dallas, TX
Old March 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5
YL_wdlf_guy

Welcome!

Wow... That is a lot of experience. ( I am a resident newbie) The funny thing is that I was in an editing room once and like you said it is amazing how much can be done now. Gotta give credit to the rise of computers, eh?

Welcome and I, and when I say "I" i think that I speak for everyone, will look forward to hearing what insights you have from the world of corprate video!

Dennis
Old March 29th, 2002, 02:17 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I'm a five-hour drive away but there may be enough members from the Big D area now to warrant a BBQ weekend at some point in the near future. Anytime in the summer months (February through November) is good for me. Welcome aboard,

Old March 29th, 2002, 04:10 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Sometimes I wish I lived in the US... Perhaps I can join some of
you guys on a vacation one day. BBQ is always nice!

Welcome aboard Mark! There are a lot of people on this forum
who come from linear editing etc. Also a lot of "newbies" like
myself. Good to hear that you like your new camera!

Again, welcome.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2002, 09:59 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Rob, you are always welcome to come down to "Big D" for vacation sometime... Mark and I will get you a Stetson hat and a pair of Justin Ropers so that you'll look the part from head to toe.

Old March 30th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #9
msmithhisler

Well, I'm certainly up for the barbeque but stetsons and Justin ropers were never my style. I'll just show up in my jeans and tie dye T-shirt.

Mark
Old March 30th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Did Someone Say BBQ in Dallas?!

Gee, I haven't visited Dallas since the early 1980's. Ring the triangle and I'm there!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Mark --

Come on down to Austin then... where shorts, flip-flops and tie-dyed T-shirts are the uniform "du jour."

Old March 30th, 2002, 08:19 PM   #12

Awwww.

Not only do I feel left out, but you're making me homesick for Austin. What I wouldn't give for a plate full of Stubb's BBQ...or better yet, to head out to the Salt Lick or Woody's. Mmm--mmmmmm.

When you guys have your BBQ weekend, can you pack some in dry ice and ship it to Tokyo?
Old October 2nd, 2002, 08:33 PM   #13
Media Design

Just got on board....

Howdy. James Canchola from San Marcos, TX and Austin TX.
Worked broadcast in Austin and Miami, and did 3years commercial editing in Miami. I'm back in Central Texas and available. Just produced, wrote and edited a $5K pilot of 30-minute entertainment news magazine program The open is on the XL-1, the rest on Sony's DSR-500 DVCam. I'm shopping it right now. If y'all have any ideas let me know. I produce great, but shopping is a bitch!
Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:47 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Hey, nice to see you here, James! Thanks for coming aboard and welcome to ya (James is holding down the fort at Media Design, the production studio I helped to start with Dave Newman back in '95).

By the way James we have a Business practices forum you might be interested in at

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=40

which might interest you... how to shop a project would be a good topic there.

See you in town,

Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:28 PM   #15

Welcome James!

Glad to have you with us. One day you'll have to tell us how in the world you managed to make XL1 and DSR500 footage live in peaceful coexistence on the same project. 1/3" ccd's -vs- 2/3" ccd's. Must have been quite a chore!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood