Which tripod for THIS camera, why why why - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Boudewijn, you are so right............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post

I do tend to answer such questions coloured by the prism of my personal experience and requirements, which is quite possibly excessive for many "cheapers" here.
Sorry, but I beat you to it. Doesn't lessen the strength of your argument, or mine either.

Point taken and thanks for joining.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Major Player

Well I as many others have tried the too cheap of tripods over the years. The funny thing, is I should KNOW better. One of my useless degrees is Astronomy. Here is a similar analogy. Everyone would always buy the best glass and eye pieces, and skimp on the tripod. The REAL rule of Astronomy was 50% for the telescope/eyepiece etc, and 50% for the tripod.

I've used Sachtler's SB6's before I realized how much better they where than the other cheaper tripods, and most of my experiences was honestly larger 35mm rigs with wooden tripods and huge heavy expensive heads. I honestly didn't even remember what they where, except that they where heavy and large and silky smooth balanced pieces of 40 year old machines with 80 lb to 100 lb cameras on them.

So I should have known better when i picked up a cheap $300-$400 tripod, but I did it anyway. I can live with a cheap smooth tripod for a while, but the lack enough counterbalance and drag is well.. a drag... So I'm looking at maybe a Libec 55 to split the difference, but I know even if it HAPPENS to counter balance about as much as I need right now, I doubt it would handle my myriad of different Nikkor lenses and adapters....

so even know I know all of this I still debate the $900 Libec 55 vs a $1,800 Sachtler SB-8 that probably would handle my next 3 camera sytesms that haven't been invented yet.

but back to my earlier point about Astronomy.. rule of thumb 50% telescope and optics, 50% tripod. So if you shouldn't feel soo bad about HD video being 75% camera & 25% tripod as a minimum.. Hey, a least you are not a backyard astronomer... :)
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudewijn de Kemp View Post
Then I would advice a Satchler or Vinten system.
My experience with Vinten is not nearly as much as with Sachtler. When I worked for the Canadian national public broadcaster, most ENG/EFP trucks were kitted with Sachtler 3 stage aluminum or CF tripod systems while the satellite truck had a Vinten (as it was cheaper and NORMALLY an ENG van provided the shooter and the gear - the sat truck was "supposed" to be for uplink only). My experience with the Vinten (sorry, I can't supply a part number) was that the head was smooth but the legs were INCREDIBLY lightweight and didn't do an admirable job of supporting the head.

I would hope/trust that Vinten has some sturdier leg selections than the ones I had the (dis)pleasure of using.
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Picking up on the used tripod....

Hi all

Just picking up on something Kevin Duffey asked back on the 18th, from our experience, there are a lot of people out there selling second hand kit and passing it off as "nearly new". On a few occasions, we have had "nearly new" kit returned to us for service and we have had to inform the customer that infact, his "nearly new" kit was obsolete and unserviceable. We have a very good support policy, so you can imagine that some of this kit, although it looks good, can be quite ancient.

If you are considering buying second hand Vinten kit, before you part with your hard earned cash, email me the model number and serial number and i will check its age for you.

Peter Harman
Peter Harman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads