Sachtler DV12SB reviews - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 30th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sachtler DV12SB reviews

I owned the Sachtler CF 75 Speedlock legs, and got rid of them at the earliest opportunity.

Paul - I think you will be very pleased with the Sachtler FSB-8 head and the RRS CF legs. The FSB-8 head should be a good fit for your payload range, and the head is well-rated and smooth. You are already familiar with the "solidness" of the legs. With various FSB heads and Gitzo Series 3 CF legs I have had zero problems with "windup" or "backlash". They are rock solid, and so are the RRS legs. You have to experience it in person to get a full appreciation - just looking at photos will lead to wrong conclusions.

The added benefit is the ability to spead the legs and set up for low angle shots.

The other added benefit is the (relatively) low total weight of the head and the legs.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks Richard,

I agree and have taken the first step. The FSB 8 head will be ordered on Friday, waiting for the next year.

As for the RRS legs they are a step above the Miller's. I have had them fully extended using a 500mm lens shooting stills on a breezy breakwater for surfing shots, and they were excellent. After 18 months of use for stills I really recommend them.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Just thought I would write back in and give a quick overview of what I purchased and kept.

Here are my two tripod systems that fit my business well.

1. My new light weight system that I can now pack in my Think Tank Roller bag with other grip gear. Really Right Stuff carbon legs and 75mm bowl.
TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Tripod

Sachtler FSB-8 head. All fits in my RRS bag for carry on the job. All up weight is 10 lbs. The FSB-8 is very nice and smooth and the legs work well for their weight. Will let me carry a tripod when I would not in the past.
FSB 8 - Sachtler

2. The work horse: My Vinten Vision 100 head and Vinten Fibertec sticks. I have had this for years and put it on the market and realized, "Paul, do not sell this system". It is rock solid no matter what camera setup I put on the head and the sticks are also rock solid. Head supports 44 lbs and stick 99 lbs. But to carry this around, ugh it is heavy. So when I need solid and the client will pay for my PortaBrace tripod bag to come along as extra luggage and when using long glass this is the one.

Vinten | Vision 100 pan and tilt head | Vision 100 pan and tilt headwww.vinten.com

DV Info Net Review: Vinten FiberTec Video Tripod by Chris Soucy, Part 2 of 5
(great review by Chris Soucy that pushed me to buy this setup)

Porta Brace TS-41B Tripod Shell Case (Black) TSB-41B B&H Photo
(just an amazing tripod, booms, light stand case)

So thanks for the input and help to help dial me in.

In classified I have Miller DS20 head with carbon legs, and bag for sale if any one is interested.
Old January 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #19
Trustee

Paul, Richard,
Thanks for the heads up with the RRS tripods. i had no idea they even had a tripod that could be used with a half bowl head.
I am still trying to work out a good system for use with my GH4. Looks like i will go for one of the RRS tripods with a Sachtler FSB-4. This should cover the weight ranges that i have with this setup.
I love the feel of the Sachtler heads, but i'm a little concerned about going to the Ace range. I'm just not sure they will give me the same feeling i'm used to. I think the RRS tripod should be equivalent to my Gitzo but it's made in the U.S. so i don't have to worry about duties.
Again,
Thanks for the info.
Bryce
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Paul: Glad you new lightweight system worked out. Using Sachtler FSB fluid heads on Gitzo or RRS carbon fiber legs is something you have to use to fully appreciate. Just looking at photos will lead you to the wrong conclusions.

Bryce: The folks at RRS are helpful. You might want to call them or e-mail them to help you pick the best legs for use with an FSB-4 fluid head and your payload requirements.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #21
Trustee

Hey Richard,
I totally agree with you on the combination of the Sachtler heads on Gitzo sticks. I have a Gitzo series 5 with a Sachtler 10SB head & it is a pure joy to use.
I am looking at the TVC 43 tripod from RRS. I think that should do the job perfectly for what i need. I will however, take your advice & give them a call to see what they would recommend.
Regards,
Bryce
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #22
Inner Circle

After four months and flying to dozens of jobs I have to say this is an excellent setup for my Sony FS7 and PL glass. Fast easy to use and the weight is light enough that I now add other POV poles and defuse stands in the tripod bag and am always under weight. Worth every penny and my Vinten has been in the studio ever since and might just go back on the market.
Old September 26th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #23
Photographer

Hi Guys,

I'm a little late to this party but have a couple of impressions to share. I pre ordered the RRS fluid head and it is a typically high quality RRS product. When I ordered it I didn't know there was going to be an FS/7 in my future. The 7 felt too big for the RRS head and I was botching pans and tilts right and left. I'm relatively new at all of this so I blamed what I was feeling on my inexperience, but began searching out information and reviews. Chris's post on Sachtler demo policy motivated me to try their gear. They sent me a DV10 and a set of ENG 2CF sticks which I have been working with for a couple of weeks. B&H has been closed for a religious holiday, but I have a DV10, ENG 2CF with feet and a mid level spreader in my cart ready to pull the trigger in the morning.

I'm selling my RRS 350, it doesn't compare to the DV10 in functionality with the FS/7 mounted up. If RRS had the demo program that Sachtler does, I'd have saved $1,800 on that item. I like the 100mm ENG 2 CF sticks, but wonder if I should bite the weight bullet and go up to the HD version for another $300. The HD's look a lot beefier, weigh an additional 4 pounds, but add more than double the weight bearing capacity.

You all have so much more experience in this field than I do, if you see a mistake in any of this please let me know. The Sachtler demo went a long way in making me feel comfortable with the equipment choice. I never would have known about the opportunity had it not been for the brain trust here, thank you!
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Well, hello JRW Sr. Glad to see you on DVinfo.

Yours is the eternal question: Go for the (relative) superior rigidity of sheer grunt and weight or put up with the foibles of a lighter rig.

No easy answer.

If every shot has to be a money (making) shot then it's easier, you can't easily make the trade off, too many money shots to screw up. If it's BIG money you get some other poor bastard to carry it.

If this is for sheer personal pleasure why bust your whatsits for perfect shots when the viewing audience wouldn't know a goodun from a badun, except you, of course.

Bottom line it depends on money and the state of your spine:

No money, why bother. Big money, hmm.

Spine: The Sr. in the title tells me you're possibly no spring chicken, those really chunky supports like the FiberTecs and the HD ENG 2 sticks are sodding heavy.

I had an easy out as I blew my L4/ L5 disc a few years ago and that, as they say, was that. No more video for you, chum ( much as humping 150 kilos [300+lbs] of video gear was tearing my spine to shreds on my solo shoots, it was the innocuous fitting of a bed duvet cover which terminated my career in video in very short order. You simply couldn't make this shit up).

Hence why I have reverted to stills with the lightest rig I can contrive.

That said, I still have my FiberTecs (and a shed load of other gear) and my missus reckons I'll be buried with them, tho' I really couldn't be that mean - someones got to make use of them.

Good luck with your eventual decision.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:42 AM   #25
Photographer

Thanks Chris! Sorry about your back, that's no fun at all. You guessed it, I'm 66, but pretty fit from 35 years of commercial shooting and the blessing of good genes. No reason to destroy that with my version of your fitted sheet story though. The 2CF seems stable and I suppose one could really make up the difference with a sandbag if the wind was howling. 5 lbs doesn't seem like much, but over and over it is.

I use a Gitzo carbon fiber for my still work, still have the Gitzo Studex that I used to use for my Sinar 4x5, what a beast! Budget isn't much of a consideration, but I'll be schlepping my own sticks most of the time I imagine, so I'll most likely go with the lighter 2CF sticks.

Thank you again for your insights!
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #26
Photographer

Well in the end I erred on the side of stability, and I'm very glad I did. My Sachtler rig is composed of the 2CF HD ENG and the DV10 head, topped off with rubber feet and the midlevel spreader. The rig is a joy to work with. Thanks again to all here who shared their experience, it made my decision a lot easier and with no buyer's remorse.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads