Portable DVD Player as Monitor? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #61
New Boot

here's a short explanation of the difference:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/15434

I dont think there are LCD screens in the $100-$300 price range with a component input, so I would go for s-video.
Jelle Poupaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #62
Major Player

For those in Canada, CanadianTire has a 7 inch monitor for sale for $100.00. I bought one today and going to test it out, it has 16:9 and 4:3, brightness adjust. I am going to keep it anyways for my steadicam, but it might double. I don't think it has 180 degree, but I can just turn it upside down I believe.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #63
Major Player

Is there a S-video to 1/8 inch stereo converter cable? I am trying out this monitor, but it doesn't like the AV out to the video in, so I need to try another route.
Actually I found a 1/8 to 1/8 that seems to work :
Here is a grab/. Bad lighting, I know. Just did it quick :

http://dvstuff.250free.com/bag.htm

I shot the little monitor and hence the mirror to infinity effect. I think the monitor looks pretty good, althought there are no instructions to tell me the specs ie; probably 640X480. But I did a focus test with the monitor and it was sharp enough to use for focusing, so I think this one is a cheap keeper for me.
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Mandy
For those in Canada, CanadianTire has a 7 inch monitor for sale for $100.00. I bought one today and going to test it out, it has 16:9 and 4:3, brightness adjust. I am going to keep it anyways for my steadicam, but it might double. I don't think it has 180 degree, but I can just turn it upside down I believe.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

im going down to crappy tire after work!! good find .. thats a great deal.. probably not the best qualtiy but good enough to frame with..

what part of canada do you live in leo?
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #65
Major Player

Ontario. I little far from N.B!
The monitor is a 90 day warranty, so you really can't go wrong. Test it out and see.
Most importantly, it is light as a feather, can be turned upside down and has no pieces for mounting that cannot be easily removed.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:24 PM   #66
Regular Crew

XL1s and DVD Player

Hey there everybody,

I currently only use the viewfinder on my XL1s, however, it would be much simpler if I could get a seperate monitor. Of course, I could get a camera-mounted LCD monitor, but it woudl be much cheaper if I use a portable DVD player instead. Can this be done? (Obviously need either Composite plug-ins, or S-video cable.). If this can be done, are there any portable DVD players you would reccomend? Sorry if this question is a little bit vague, (or simply a silly question.....), but I figured it's worth a try! Thanks,

~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #67
New Boot

Portable DVD player as monitor for GL2

Would it be possible to use a portable DVD player as a monitor while recording or using as playback using the RCA or s-video port? The price of these things are quite cheap now compared to a "real monitor". I'm sure it could be afixed to a tripod via velcro or some straping assembly.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #68
Tourist

In theory yes. The problem you're going to run into is power in the field. Most of these devices run off wall worts or DC adapters for use in a vehicle. Those that use batteries typically have a short lifespan (2-3 hours generally).

Also the picture quality can really be iffy, I don't think it would be good for anything but composition or just having another monitor so you and the cameraman aren't fighting for the EVF. Using it as a reference monitor for color or luminance is probably not going to work out too well.
Brent Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I would just try it with a portable battery, like they have for your on camera light. If it works then practice so that you can quickly set it up in the field without being a clutz. If you practice with it in the studio have your correctly balance studio monitor as a reference and then GLUE the settings down so they don't move. At the worst it could only be used as a second compositional monitor for your client/director at best it would show the correct color balnce and so forth. Have fun.
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #70
Major Player

I currently use a Toshiba portable DVD player with my GL1, works fine as a composition monitor, but focusing isn't too hot. I don't know if newer DVD players will do a better job than mine, which I got back in 2002, but I wouldn't have high hopes. Ikan makes some decent production LCD's for about the same price as a portable DVD player, but don't expect too much from them either, the review I read was that they were good entry-level monitors, but they weren't great.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #71
New Boot

What wiring connection do you use to attach the DVD to the GL? RCA or S-video or what? I was talking to a sales associate at a Circuit City about this and he showed me that the RCA plugs seemed a bit loose to get a proper connection??? It still seems to be an economical approach and you can still use it for a DVD viewer
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Dear Terry Arnold,
I really do not know what kind of hook up to make it work properly as a low cost monitor.
If you lived next door to me, I would invite you over for lunch, a swim in the pool and then have you take your time going through my "goodie box" of a gizzilion sizes and kinds of wires to make it work
However I bit the bullet and when I got my GL2 I also sent away for a Marshall location monitor with suedo leather case, sun shield, recharable battery, recharger and an extension arm to have it attached to my tripod so I can be a gentleman, remain seated and compose the shots through the monitor. It was not cheap and thank goodness, video taped depositions pay well.
Yours,
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #73
Major Player

Terry, my particular DVD player has both AV-In, AV-Out, Compenent Out, and S-Video Out. For the GL1, I use a Sony AV Connection cable which you should be able to find at a videogame store somewhere (ie. EBGames, Electronics Boutique, Best Buy, ect.), it's even listed on the Sonystyle.com store website under the Playstation 2 accessories list. It's very easy, I just plug one end of the AV cable into the GL1 and the other goes into the AV-In on the DVD player and voila, it works like a charm, but my DVD player, as I've said before, isn't exceptionally good for focusing, still very useful though.
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #74
Major Player

Hi Terry,

I don't have the NICE Cams you folks have, a Sony TRV-950 is the best of my 4 Cams.

But, I have been using a seperate Monitor for the last 8 yrs or so. In fact I almost always use one. You've been able to use those Portable DVD players since they came out with "inputs".

Like the others have said, the issue is "in the Field" and the Pic Quality. I've got 5" & 8" LCD TV units from Radio Shack ( both AC/DC ) ( $150 ?), a 15" LCD Samsung AC unit, and 9" and 13" CRT TV AC unit's. The two smaller monitors can be attached to my TriPod, to a second TriPod, to my extendable ( 2' to 4' ) control handle, to whatever. I can send you Pics of these if interested.

If no electricity is available, then I go on battery power. For the Horse Shows I do, I use a Cam, a Monitor, and 2 VCRs. I can power all these for up to 13 hrs. "in the Field" if I need too.

For the day light, I have made Sun Shields for each Monitor and even one for each Cams' little side monitor.

I recently went to Best Buy looking for a DVD Player unit, and only found one that would give a decent Pic. The 10" Insignia unit was the best one (currently $189). The 2 Sonys had good Pics, but were dimer and their screens were way to reflective to be usefull.

If you really need acuracy, then you'll have to put out the $$$ for the best units.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #75
New Boot

Thanks all! Seems the concensus is it's doable, Guess I'll go find me a unit and see what comes out. Very nice work on your web site Tom. Many many years ago I lived down in Miami, last on Coral Way. Anyway this all is just a serious hobby for me, and really I'm more in to photography, just getting into Video. Supporting two hobbies like this is getting to be EXPENSIVE and difficult lugging all of the equipment around. Again THANKS ALL.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software