Portable DVD Player as Monitor? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Dont laugh at this but i use this all the time. i use a black and white battery powered Portable tv that cam free with my mums new credit card. (one of those free gifts)
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #77
Inner Circle

i'm looking for a monitor solution too. but aren't those dvd players small? 6" screens or something? I've found 9" sony monitors barely big enough to compose a shot and check for make up smudges etc.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #78
Regular Crew

DVD Monitor

I have read many threads about using a cheap portable DVD player as a monitor for the GL2. Can someone recommend a cheap out-of-the-box solution? If you can tell me specific models that would be great.

Also, if someone knows of a cheap remote dvd monitoring solution that would be even better. I guess i could run long cables but that would suck! LOL
Michael Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #79
Wrangler

Sony offered a cordless IR video links (transmitter & receiver) at one time. WouLd be line of sight. Model numbers began with something line IFT and IFR.I do nto know if they are still on the market,

Use of a DVD player as a monitor adds weight and bulk, but can work if more portability is not needed. Some people use small screen (e.g., 3"-5") dedicate LED monitors. A search may pull up some threads on the subject.

As to sources, in the USA, I see COSTCO an amny of the big consumer electronics stores often have portable DVD players in stock.
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Recommend a model at costco

Can you recommend a model at costco? I assume i'll be using Svideo right?
Michael Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #81
Old Boot

I use one of these:-

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-a.../586182/prices

Velcro-ed to one of these:-

http://www.avsupplystore.com/delv-bpca.html

Which is powered by the biggest one of these:-
http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?actio...ygroup&mbid=17

Supported by a system I designed from parts utilizing this system:-
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ram-b-149z-c1.htm

Connected by the right-angled multi and chopping of the unnecessary:-
http://www.flatbatt.co.uk/Leads-cabl.../video-35.html

. . and soldering the YELLOW to this right-angle 3.5mm mono mini jack:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...mini&doy=25m10

Result?

A bigger screen that provides me with a more "natural" view of the World than my piddly 2.4" LCD; in a 16:9 version which aint elongated; for a price that I could afford; with parts that are completely interchangeable and when I get bored with the shoot I can turn on the TV! Is it a MARSHALL or a NEBTEC or a TELETEST? Nope - it sure aint! However, for the prince and time I spent it was ALMOST worth it. Least ways if any of these "cheap" items go pphut, then I can easily and cheaply replace.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:23 PM   #82
Tourist

Final result

Graham

Could we see a picture or two of the final result?

John
John B. Stambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #83
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B. Stambaugh
Graham

Could we see a picture or two of the final result?

John
Sure. I''m just in the throes of cannabilizing the parts to fit my newly acquired SpiderBrace. As Soon as I'm done I'll reassemble it for the above. I got wires, Velcro, in-line plugs, water pipe retaining clamps ( just DON'T ask!) and this evening's meal strewn over our large dining table!

Tomorrow it's "Out with the soldering iron and meter" and by ooooh 4:00pm on with the Matt Black paint.

G

Last edited by Graham Bernard; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #84
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Where do you want to mount it ??

I've made a couple of setups to mount small monitors to the TriPod, or to a second TriPod. Or even next to the Cam.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #85
Inner Circle

7 in lcd

I was looking on e bay last night at xl2 accessories and there are 7 in lcd kits for 159 dollars.
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Graham,

Please send a photo when you can. I would love to see your rig set up like this! What is your total added wieght? Great engineering!

Until the pics!

Bradley
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #87
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley D Barber
Graham,

Please send a photo when you can. I would love to see your rig set up like this! What is your total added wieght? Great engineering!

Until the pics!

Bradley
Aw, shucks, sorry Guys!!

I did some real dodgy photography of it, with my other XM2, saw how good others do theirs, felt ashamed . . however . . I'll have it up in the next 24 hours . .promise! ( Now where DID I leave Jacks Bowers cell-number?)
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM   #88
Old Boot

NOT my most serious piece of work to date - oh no! . ..

But BE happy for me!!

Grazie
Attached Files
File Type: wmv DVInfo Spider+XM2 1a.wmv (3.72 MB, 387 views)
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM   #89
Inner Circle

spider brace

Grazie,

I loved your little clip!! I had a couple good chuckles. How do you like the spider brace?? I have a shoulder brace from varizoom and its ok but it is a little long to toe around loose in the truck.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM   #90
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
Grazie,

I loved your little clip!! I had a couple good chuckles. How do you like the spider brace?? I have a shoulder brace from varizoom and its ok but it is a little long to toe around loose in the truck.
Thanks Dale! - It was meant as a chuckle too. The photography stinks and it is ALL over the place in terms of sequencing, but I hope it does demonstrate the use of the screens and the ease when used in conjunction with a shoulder support - here the SpiderBrace.

Now the SpiderBrace! What can I say.

I LOVE it!

I have one of my cameras semi-permanently screwed to it it now. I have now done videoing capturing the antics of our MAD ducks - and they are fairly bonkers. I have used it for up to 2 hour sessions at a time, and with short periods of rest, have found it a pleasure. The secret is the LARGE 7" monitor that I use for solely framing and push focusing.

And yes, the length is a bit restrictive, but here again you CAN unscrew this later model's rear extension. That DOES add to its convenience - but I don't bother. The thing to recognise it that made from some kind of high impact, plastic piping it is VERY light to start with.

Thanks for watching!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software