Camera Mounted LCD Monitors - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM   #46
Major Player

<<The NEB50XL is 960 x 234 with a total of 224,640 pixels.
The Panasonic TC-7WMS1 is 234 vertical x 480 horizontal x 3 with a total of 336,960 pixels.>>

It's pretty bad marketing on Panny's part, because that 3x is both hard to grasp and missing in the specifications at places like B&H. On paper it looks like a 124k resolution. What is the comparable NIT of the 5" and the 7"? Is the Panny a good outdoor screen? I've owned the Nebtek 5" so I'm very familiar with it's daylight performance (which is great).

It was a resolution issue for me, and I'm really not comfortable on critical shoots with anything less than an Hi Res CRT like the 8045Q. That said, a bunch of upcoming travel shoots won't accomodate it, so I'm back looking for the best res LCD I can pack ight for flight.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:45 PM   #47
NEBTEK

I couldn't agree with you more. The first question anyone asks me is "What is the resolution?". If they could only come up with a standard resolution that anyone could recognize it would be a much easier sale for me.

The Panasonic NIT lists at not less than 300 cd/m.
The NEB50XL NIT lists at not less than 350 cd/m.

I actually like the NEB50XL better for outdoors (Sundance, Lake Powell, Moab), but I love the picture on the Panasonic when I'm in the studio. As far as replacing a CRT, I just got my hands on the new Panasonic BT-LH900P HD LCD monitor and it is amazing!
Unfortunately when I saw the price I almost had a coronary, and it is bulky monster (forget about mounting it on your camera).

I hear that they are now making the rental lists at most camera houses. It might be a great opportunity to check one out if it is a short shoot and you can get production to pay for it.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM   #48
Major Player

Rob, is there a # I can reach you at later this week? I'd like to talk about te 7' conversion etc.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #49
NEBTEK

9:30AM - 5:30PM, Mountain Time
801-467-1920
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Anyone know of a UK supplier of these Panasonic LCD monitors?
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #51
NEBTEK

Pro Active UK Ltd.- Neil Hart
18 Brickfields Industrial Estate
Finway Road
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
+44 (0) 1442 253313

Hope this helps...
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #52
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Wakarimasu, Rob. Amazing how many ex-gaijins I bump into now.

For now, I'm going to go with the "under battery" solution by Varizoom. Eventually though, probably this year, I'll be looking at getting a larger monitor.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I bought my Nebtek 5" like about a year, it's a great TFT, I only use it whth Tripods and I also made a custom adapter to atached on the back of the camera insteed of using it with the shoe mount, this way I can use the shoemount for on light . The Neb Tek is the way to go.

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #54
Major Player

Howdy,
I've been putting up with an el cheapo "Starvision" 7 inch LCD monitor that I bought on E Bay (designed for a car but with a shoe mount installed) that is worthless outdoors and the resolution is terrible. After reading this thread I gotta get me one of these 5" Nebteks everyone is talking about. Is there a difference between this:

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/0/1f4288e...5?OpenDocument

and

http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/NEB50Xlpage.html

other than the price?
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #55
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

To my knowledge they are the same. ZGC is reselling the Nebtek monitor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #56
Major Player

Thanks Ken,
I'm sorry to drag this up again everyone, but I have more questions regarding the Nebtek50XL.
As I mentioned above, I already own a (don't laugh) Starvision 7" LCD monitor (that mounts with a cheesy plastic shoe mount) and a 10 pound battery I have to lug around. The resolution claims to be 234 X 1440 (but I never use 16:9). I love the fact that the Nebtek50XL uses the little Canon baterries but I'd like to know that the Nebtek will indeed make a BIG difference from what I already have. I'm trying to compare apples to apples here, I know the Nebtek's resolution is 960 x 234 but I don't know how that compares to a 16:9 display of 234 X 1440 or if resolution is even important in picture quality. The Nebtek has 224,640 pixels but I don't know the pixel count of my "Starvision". I do know that the color is not representing what the camera records but the image is sharp enough if I turn down (way down) the default color setting. I also know it is useless in the sunlight and I need something I can use in the sun (even if I need to buy another Hoodman (is there another option for a hood, the velcro doesn't hold very well after a few uses).

Thanks very much guys,
Randy
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #57
Trustee

Just found this thread, and I was wondering if the Neb50XL would work with the XM2 camera also? I imagine it would with the right video output cable?

Cheers
Aaron
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #58
Major Player

Hey Aaron, I went to the link you posted but couldn't find out where to get the free meat : O
Just kidding...sorry. Actually, if the XM2 has an RCA video output it should work fine, right guys?
Randy
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #59
New Boot

the varizoom doesn't offer a 7" and the nebtek's 7" costs too much

what about adding a TM-7002S (Black) 7" TFT LCD Monitor (Panasonic LCD panel) my guy says he can get me one for $150 - could I just get that?

thanks
Dan Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #60
New Boot

that or the PYLEŽ 7.2 INCH LCD COLOR MONITOR I got a friend that will sell me this for about $75 mint condition
Dan Marker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software