Camera Mounted LCD Monitors - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Hi Folks,

I thought I would add that there are a couple of other LCD monitors worth looking at.

Marshall Electronics makes a 7" 16:9 /4:3 switchable LCD and a 6.5" 16:9 HiDef LCD.
They also have 4:3's as small as 4" and larger too.
http://LCDRacks.com

Boland Communications is an American company (builds & Q.C.s them in CA.). Very high quality, reasonably priced. As small as 6.8".
This is the only company I know of that offers a blue only mode for calibration (on some displays) like a pro CRT does. Those that don't have it are calibrated at the factory to a preset.
http://Bolandcom.com

There are Hoodman shades available for all these as well.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #62
New Boot

Don't mean to be pushy but... anyone have any comments on attching stand alone monitors

like:

TM-7002S (Black) 7" TFT LCD Monitor (Panasonic LCD panel)
or
PYLEŽ 7.2 INCH LCD COLOR MONITOR

I can get both real cheap, and would save a lot of money vs. getting one of the kits.
Dan Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #63
Regular Crew

ATS Communications (ATSComms.com) and other dealers can provide you with a "hot shoe" adapter to mount it on the camera.

I have also adapted monitors to a short tripod based mic stand with boom arm. This allows someone seated (producer, interviewer) to have a convenient low viewing angle and can also be raised high for the camera person.

Mounting a battery on the back may require custom work. You could have the battery on the ground with a long cable.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #64
NEBTEK

Hi Dan,

You could contact NEBTEK and see if they can mount a CANON Lithium-ion Battery Adapter on the back of your monitor. Then you can use your CANON XL1S batteries to power it.

Hey Marty... I saw you with the "Boom Guys" at NAB.
Ever think about becoming a NEBTEK Dealer?
We may be small but we have a great word of mouth reputation in the industry and our monitors speak for themselves.

Rob DuBree
NEBTEK
rob@nebtek.com

"I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #65
Major Player

Quote from a Ken Tanaka post

"I recently saw a BP power conversion kit, comparably priced to the Nebtek, that basically attaches to the back of the monitor and plugs into the monitor's existing power connection. I believe it works with the Panny 7". Its advantage would be that it does not require hard-wiring. I -think- I saw it in the Markertek catalog, but am not sure. It may be worth a search there if you're in the market."

Markertek product DELV-BPCA, $84.95. Could someone confirm this will work and be appropriate for this setup > Canon XL1S,
Magiqcam, and 7" Panasonic LCD. Thanks
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #66
Major Player

<<Markertek product DELV-BPCA, $84.95. Could someone confirm this will work and be appropriate for this setup > Canon XL1S,
Magiqcam, and 7" Panasonic LCD. Thanks>>

Ya know Michael, I'd give my business to Nebtek..good guys and really responsive.

I attempted 3 phone calls, one with the "head" of sales because the other two sales guys were totally uninterested in finding the same answer that your asking...two emails at their request to their tech guy to answer the same simple question (they sell both products) and nothing, nada. It's like I was trying to sell them something not buy some of their gear.

Bad company in my experience.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #67
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jim, Are you referring to correspondence with Markertek or to Delvcam?

If Markertek, I've had similar experiences with them and tend to go to them only as a last resort. I get the impression that they are only interested in selling Freightliners full of gear to large production operations. Retail seems to be an annoyance to them.

The Nebtek folks are excellent and I've met some (including the owner). They're small enough so that every person seems to have an important role and they treat their customers with great care.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #68
Major Player

Markertek Ken...my experience was very similar.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #69
Major Player

I'd be happy to use Nebtek it was just that some of the threads indicated the price was much more. I'm taking it that this will work. Are there similar products (meaning the battery bracket) that will work? I don't want to 'rewire' anything. Just something that will work on the Magiqcam and possibly on the top or side of the camera itself, and a crane.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #70
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It looks like the Nebtek converter will cost $135. It also looks like they're now selling just a stand-alone converter rather than the hard-wired conversion that they performed on my monitor. Perhaps they're no longer offering the h-w conversion service.

See: http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:03 PM   #71
NEBTEK

Hi Ken,

We still offer the conversion and the price is the same as the stand-alone battery adapter... $135.

As far as Delvcam's solution goes, I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it. As an XL1 user I actually prefer the adapter to be "hard mounted" onto the back of my monitor. For me it provides better balance and a stronger sense of security.

NEBTEK pioneered the Li-battery adapter technology in the US (2001), and Panasonic fully authorizes the modifications we do to the TC7-WMS1 (as a Panasonic Value Added Reseller). They know that we have the reputation for building a quality product and offer full support to all of our customers. In the end it's our customer satisfaction that speaks volumes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software