Bringing equipment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 8th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Bringing equipment

Hi Pete

Thanks why I built my custom trolley ..it holds everything so I load it at the car and just do one trip into the ceremony and reception...I always take it but if I happen to be lucky enough to park within 5 metres of either entrance then I leave it in the car. I was seriously getting tired of doing two and sometimes three trips and this does it in one! It's a super light square frame with a floor panel and garage "U" shaped hooks on the side for stands/tripod cases and then the camera trays clip on top ..all in aluminium of course.
The frame used to have castors on the bottom but I got fed up with the silly little wheels getting stuck on grass/bitumen etc etc so I found a neat garden cart with big pneumatic wheels and ripped off the tray on it that used to hold the garden waste and the frame clips on top and it goes anywhere ... (I call it my 4 x4 trolley) Definitely a godsend when doing gigs!!

I have some pics on this thread but before I had the 4 x 4 wheels ..gives you an idea of the frame http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...era-bag-2.html

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #17
Major Player

And then they ask if we can be as unobtrusive as possible even though the photogs are buzzing around like flies with assistants and 2nd shooters.
I can say that after all these years I shoot better without too much to lug around, kind of a tourist with a camera approach. 2 or 3 cases to carry around ? what, are you going on a safari ? sandbags also ??
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Arthur only last week I was filming a wedding highlights as a 'present' for some friends so packed lighter than nprmal - the tog knocked over my light stand with Sony VG-20 on it during the first dance - I only noticed it when I watched the footage back - the DJ caught it before it hit the deck and righted it (in the wrong position and rendering the rest of the shot useless) saving my camera at least. Normally my sandbag would have stopped that happening.

Check it out here - password: camerafall

I'm about to retire my VG20 but hopefully not in this way!

I once had an old dear trip over the legs of one of my light stands at an evening reception - the camera wobbled a little but stayed put.

I've also had cameras knocked out of position in church by guests pushing buggies so sandbags are great for anchoring down - not only for your gear but the safety of the guests, especially weddings with lots of kids belting around!

Am I the only one using sandbags?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #19
Trustee

One rule I have for myself is: "If you can't take it all in one trip, you're taking too much." I'm always pushing against the clock before ceremony and reception start, and I've been in plenty of scenarios where it's just not possible to go back for a second trip.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #20
Inner Circle

At the church I leave slider and steadicam in the car - If there's time I'll get some slider shots and dump it back in the car - I also have my DSLR and lights for the evening reception that live in the boot of the car until then.

God I do seem to have a lot of gear!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #21
Major Player

It is also for that exact reason I don't carry extra stuff or have an extra camera mounted on anything, especially a light stand. The less stuff the less the possibility that anything can go wrong. Weddings are UNCONTROLLABLE, especially when there are kids and togs running around the floor. Even a light stand or tripod taped down or bag sanded down introduces the possibility that someone can trip on the legs.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques