Difficult Bride + Discs Not Working - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 12th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Difficult Bride + Discs Not Working

Hi Pete

I have always done it that way too ..from day 1 and it really isn't a hassle ..blank DVD's are 30c each so for a set of three you are 90c out of pocket and a bit of ink to do the extra covers and around 3 extra minutes of time to actually write the disks (per disk) ..it's a small price to pay for peace of mind and dual or single DVD cases also cost the same.

For me the perceived value of a "double DVD set" is plenty enough to secure a booking ... I actually tried a few marketing tactics a couple of years back like supplying a media player pre-loaded with the wedding and brides simply were not interested. Supply DVD's that work and your job is done ..brides funnily don't seem to mind that they are SD .. I supply 3 x double DVD sets plus a USB with the video in 1920x1080 and the only feedback I get is "We watched the DVD's last night and loved them" ..never a mention about the HD quality USB files ever so I really wonder if they even watch them???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Chris I couldn't agree more. That has been my experience too. I put a hd copy of the highlights on the disc with the label "includes hd movie for playback on a computer" but never hear feedback about it.

They only care if the Dvd works. Never heard a complaint if it was broken up into multiple disc. They probably feel they are getting more for their money.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #48
New Boot

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful advice on this one. I've given her a single-layer DVD x 2, and also the files on a USB (which I have actually frequently been giving clients).

As a side, to all those who have been doing this for a long time and have been delivering the product on DVD, are you worried about the day when previous clients from many years ago start emailing with the dreaded "DVDs no longer working" complaint? This has yet to happen to me, but with DVDs easily scratched, and having a shelf life, it's an inevitability. Do you simply charge them for new copies if you have retained the original ISO file?

I'm gradually moving to USB delivery.

Chris
Christopher Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #49
Inner Circle

You might want to look if your burner firmware is up to date. A few weeks ago I burned a few discs for a client and though they played fine in all my players they would not play at all in his Samsung Bluray. If he copied the disc on his computer it played fine. If I copied the disc in another PC the copy played fine. I could not figure out why the discs would play in some players and not others but the copies worked. I updated the firmware in my LG burners and they now all work. I thought the firmware was up to date but it wasn't !!! Discs were all quality JVC/Taiyo Yuden hardcoat or Watershield.

Ron Evans

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Nicholson View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful advice on this one. I've given her a single-layer DVD x 2, and also the files on a USB (which I have actually frequently been giving clients).

As a side, to all those who have been doing this for a long time and have been delivering the product on DVD, are you worried about the day when previous clients from many years ago start emailing with the dreaded "DVDs no longer working" complaint? This has yet to happen to me, but with DVDs easily scratched, and having a shelf life, it's an inevitability. Do you simply charge them for new copies if you have retained the original ISO file?

I'm gradually moving to USB delivery.

Chris
As far as I am concerned, once the finished product is delivered and accepted, it becomes the client's responsibility. If they scratch it, break it of the dog chews it, it is their problem not mine, although I have a backup copy of every DVD I have produced. I would charge them for a replacement though.

If a DVD simply stops working because of degradation over the years, then surely that is down to the manufacturer of the DVD not me as I have no control over manufacturing processes any more than I have over how a client uses or stores their DVD. For the last few years, DVD has the the delivery media of choice for most people, but it is a consumable item and clients need to take responsibility for looking after it.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
As far as I am concerned, once the finished product is delivered and accepted, it becomes the client's responsibility. If they scratch it, break it of the dog chews it, it is their problem not mine, although I have a backup copy of every DVD I have produced. I would charge them for a replacement though.

If a DVD simply stops working because of degradation over the years, then surely that is down to the manufacturer of the DVD not me as I have no control over manufacturing processes any more than I have over how a client uses or stores their DVD. For the last few years, DVD has the the delivery media of choice for most people, but it is a consumable item and clients need to take responsibility for looking after it.

Roger
100% agree with Roger, once they have the DVD and are happy with the finished product, its up to them to look after their DVD, not me.
I also keep a backup copy of the DVD and nothing else.
If by any chance the DVD RW might be to blame bin it and get another. Dirt cheap now compared to what they used to be.

They are advised to make backup copies but that's up to them.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Nicholson View Post
are you worried about the day when previous clients from many years ago start emailing with the dreaded "DVDs no longer working" complaint?
I give my clients a copy of the iso file as well including the dvdprints, before I did this I never got a request for extra dvd's so didn't see any reason to hold on to it myself.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I fourth it, buy a DVD player, test the disks and send her the DVD player.
Old December 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #54
Inner Circle

I really did have a bride who's dog ate the DVD set.. it ripped the case as well as both disks. so I do keep a copy of the client's DVD on by backup drives. In fact I supplied a bride from a 2014 wedding a DVD set just a few weeks ago but she never said why she wanted it!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques