DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Gints Klimanis January 28th, 2005 04:31 PM

Slow rewind back through chapters ? How ?

I used DVD Architect to make my first DVD. Each chapter was a separate movie file. While I was able to set up the links so that fast forwarding would advance through the chapters, what actions must be set to allow rewinding through chapters ? Right now, on my Sony DVD player, rewinding seems to stop at the
start of the chapter. Thanks for any help.

Lorinda Norton January 28th, 2005 09:39 PM

burn multiple vcds from timeline

When I try to burn more than one vcd from the Vegas5 timeline I get the message, ".....project.mpg already exists. Do you want to overwrite?"

Is this okay, or am I doing something wrong?

Gary Kleiner January 28th, 2005 10:35 PM

In the middle of the Burn Video CD dialog box, there is a place to check 'use existing file'. Check it and point it to the file you've created.

Gary

Gary Kleiner January 28th, 2005 10:37 PM

This may be up to how your (or all) DVD players work, and is why you should set up your chapters from one file.

Gary

Lorinda Norton January 28th, 2005 11:00 PM

Well, now! There it was--staring right in my face! I'm not embarrassed or anything. I've gotta get some training....

Thank you, Gary; it worked like a charm.

Brian Bechard January 29th, 2005 08:34 AM

Vegas can't find my files

I've run into this a couple of times now. When I open a saved project vegas tells me it cannot find some of the files. It asks if I want to search for them, give their location(s), or leave the files offline and proceed with the project. This is becoming very annoying as I have to find the files, which are where they've always been, and continue. sometimes my clips will be there sometimes not...Also I just opened a small project with pan/zoom on stills and my pans and crops were all messed up (not the way I had saved them).

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 11:10 AM

FX-1/Z1U owners...

As you might have discovered, there is a *slight* shift in color when converting the Cineform avi BACK to a transport stream for printing back to tape on the FX1, Z1, or M10U deck. We've been looking into this for a bit of time, and based on feedback from the guys at Sony and Cineform, Mark Dileo, co-author of the HDV book, came up with a preset. On scopes it's great, on a CRT it's accurate to the eye and to the scope, but would love some feedback.
You can download the preset on the VASST Veg files pages, http://www.vasst.com/login.htm if you'd like to play with it. You'll want to apply it to the Preview window for a final render. I'd recommend just doing a short render to save time, but we'd appreciate your feedback.
Thanks to Mark for taking the time out to work on correcting this.

Edward Troxel January 29th, 2005 11:23 AM

It will also give this message if you have files there were used once, but are no longer on the timeline, but ARE still in the media pool. You might want to try clearing the media pool of any files that may have been deleted.

Brian Kennedy January 29th, 2005 01:06 PM

Also, and I'm stating the obvious, if you've renamed the files. Had that happen to me a few times.

Pans and crops should be fine unless you change the properties of the project (e.g., from 4:3 to 16:9 widescreen).

Kevin Foristal January 29th, 2005 01:07 PM

Is there a quick start guide?

I like the results I have seen from this program but when I tried to use it I got impatient. I am a premiere user. Anyone know of some wuick start tutorials for V5?

Milt Lee January 29th, 2005 04:09 PM

Setting Audio Preferrences in Vegas 5.0

Last night I was watching a video that I completed, and rendered - first as an AVI file - then I took that AVI file and rendered it as a MPEG 2 file - and then I was watching it on a nice big TV.

I noticed that my audio had changed from the track that I had mixed. I generally mix in SAWSTUDIO then move it over to DC6 to clean up any noise issues that might exist.

To my horror I discovered that it sounded like it had been really compressed - beyond what I had heard in the mix.

So as I was driving home today, I rememebered that Vegas has this habit of automatically adding 3 FX's to you audio tracks - a compressor, noise gate and one EQ.

I had rendered it twice sending the track through those plugins without realizing it.

My question is how do I set my preferences to NOT having those plug-ins inserted?

And why does Vegas think I want them?

Thanks
Milt Lee

Gary Kleiner January 29th, 2005 04:58 PM

I'm assuming that since you made an Mpeg2, that you made a DVD.

How did you encode the audio? Did you create the DVD with PCM or AC-3?

If it was AC-3, what settings were used? Try setting your Preprocessing>Dynamic range compression> line mode profile to None.

The three audio FX assigned to each audio track are set to null settings, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you do want the default to be without FX, delete them, than right-click and choose 'Set Default Track Properties'.

Gary

John Gaspain January 29th, 2005 05:33 PM

is there anywhere to download color corrector profiles for 5.0d?

Im just wondering if anyone has any profiles/settings that might mimic some Magic Bullet type settings for the nice color corrector in Vegas 5.0d.

Or we can share them here and I can post them for download on my website for everyone.

Steve Crisdale January 29th, 2005 07:23 PM

I didn't notice colour shift on LCD HDTV..

So..... is this only a CRT specific situation?
Despite not having the LCD HDTV next to any of my editing PCs, I'm certain there's no colour shift - slight or otherwise - that I noticed going back to tape from my CFHD timeline FX-1 stuff.

I did notice (on my old Pana CRT HDTV which I sold to a friend) that there was a 'bleaching' , but that was from DVD and I've always worried about how my friend adjusts his video equipment.... Hmm, perhaps it is a CRT specific issue, and not my friend's crappy eyesight!!

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 07:25 PM

I'm quite certain there IS a color shift. Sony have acknowledged the issue, and they're on it already. You might not be seeing the shift, but it's there. Use your scopes on both files, and see what you get.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 07:27 PM

That's more or less what the ReelPak for Ultimate S and Celluloid is, clones of the Magic Bullet looks without the render times.
http://www.vasst.com/ultimate.htm There are a total of 21 looks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 07:31 PM

There are the VASST Introductory DVD's, http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts.htm

Gary Kleiner has a set of DVDs out, and our own Edward Troxel has a DVD with Timothy Duncan that isn't so much a quickstart, but gets you up to speed on Vegas 5.

Plus, there is the Instant Vegas 5 book from Jeffrey P. Fisher and myself, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...452542-1269624
And the Vegas 5 Editing Workshop.
The VASST site also has over 100 tutorials, with more than 1000 Vegas resources.
Edward's newsletters are great, and his Beginner's Corner articles are fabulous for getting up to speed. http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/vie...87e87d24bb8c6a

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 07:32 PM

For those still wondering about the HVR-Z1

An interview shot by the BBC at Sundance. I ended up being asked to repair the audio and color correct (can you imagine being a run n' gun without lighting?) and so I cut what they gave me into a stream for the Sony folks.
Jody Eldred is a very well known DP with credits longer than a football field. He used the Z1 on J.A.G. and is using it on other episodics as well. He owns an F900 among several other cams and rigs, plus a production company that just won an international Emmy. He was also recently named Best Cameraman by the DGA.
Anyway, you can hear/see what he has to say about the Z1.
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/media/Jody.wmv

John Gaspain January 29th, 2005 07:37 PM

thanks Douglas, unfortunately thats an extra $120 I dont need to spend.

Glen Elliott January 29th, 2005 07:50 PM

Pretty cool Spot. Now all I have to do is wait till there's a demand from clientel and a way to distribute it digitally (BlueRay/HD-DVD).

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 29th, 2005 08:01 PM

There are several ways to distribute digitally....
DVHS
AVC
WMV-HD
with some cool NAB announcements coming too.
But I also understand your dilemma, in that you're dealing with a wedding clientele that may not be up to speed with things yet.

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2005 04:41 AM

Hello Vovka, welcome aboard DVInfo.net!

ADS was nice, although a bit too long for me. Homework looked
good (although the cheesy effects when she opened the book
weren't for me), but the movie stopped playing just after she
opened the book (and I saw the first "effects"). Is the movie
corrupt on your webserver (I'm pretty sure I downloaded it okay)??

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2005 07:57 AM

It should also tell you which files are missing, take a note of these.

To clean the media pool (to remove all references to files not used):

- go to the media pool
- hit the little (lightning like) icon in the upper left corner of the media pool (Remove All Unused Media From Project)

*OR*

- Tools -> Clean Media Pool

Then save the project and it should not reference any files that
it is not using anymore. I had this happen once when I was
exporting still pictures from the preview window (little disk icon).
After you save those files they get ADDED TO THE PROJECT!!!

However, if you then rename, move or delete those files (as I did)
you may get that message. Just run the media pool cleaner before
saving and you should be fine.

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2005 08:30 AM

There is a sticky thread on top of this forum called Quick reference: Vegas shortcuts and mouse gestures 1.0b:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=20830

It has the basic interface overview and links to all sort of beginners info

Milt Lee January 30th, 2005 12:04 PM

Thanks for the information! I didn't realize that there were two different types of audio possiblities. (PCM or AC-3)

I think I need to read about that. I actually have no idea if I did one or the other.

I just assumed that when I rendered it to MPEG 2 that there was only one way for the the audio track to be encoded. Is there an advantage to one over the other, and where do you make that choice?

Thanks for the help. I've been reading Spot's book, but I think I need to go deeper into the study of making DVDs. I did discover that the reason my Sager wasn't burning DVDs using DVD Arch 2 was that I needed to get the most recent update. I was using build 94 and the software folks had already gotten up to build 120. Such is life.

Milt

Keith Paisley January 30th, 2005 12:05 PM

Vegas license terms allow installation on laptop too?

I looked around for this but didn't see any specific mention of it anywhere. Adobe's standard license allows an install on your main machine as well as your laptop, provided only one copy is in use at any given time.

I've been using Premiere for years (starting with 4.2, progressing to 5.0 and finally 6.0) but Vegas seems like a pretty good package. I downloaded the trial version of both Vegas and Premiere Pro, but I'm leaning towards purchasing Vegas even though it will cost me several hundred more dollars (i can get P Pro for $199 with the upgrade).

One of the big things that's keeping me from pulling the trigger, so to speak, is that it's not clear whether I am allowed by Sony's license to install Vegas both on my "main" editing machine and my laptop. I need to be able to load it on my laptop as I am forced to shoot and edit on location about 50% of the time.

if anybody knows the answer to this, I thank you in advance.

Peter Sieben January 30th, 2005 02:52 PM

I managed to install it on my laptop, after that I installed it on my desktop computer. It all went well. I think you are allowed to do this, as long as you just use 1 installation at a time. To be sure contact the Sony Mediapictures sales dept. and ask them.

Peter

Brian Kennedy January 30th, 2005 07:31 PM

Please keep us posted, because I've been wondering about this, too (as the owner of a new laptop).

Edward Troxel January 30th, 2005 08:32 PM

AC3 is smaller. The longer your event, the more the need to use AC3. By default, DVDA will attempt to convert any audio to AC3.

Edward Troxel January 30th, 2005 08:36 PM

The EULA is posted on Sony's site. The correct answer to this question is that you may install it on both a desktop and laptop AS LONG AS only one is in use at one time. However, with network rendering you may legally install it on THREE computers and use the second two for rendering purposes.

Milt Lee January 30th, 2005 10:25 PM

Smaller....but is there any qualitative difference?

I am working with 1/2 shows so I figure smaller is probably good.

So I think that must be what's going on when DVDA says that it's optimizing the file. Yes?

Keith Paisley January 31st, 2005 10:03 AM

Thanks, I knew about the network rendering part but I didn't see the EULA listed anywhere on Sony's Vegas page at sonypictures.com.

I was also under the impression you could install a "network rendering agent" or something like that all by itself rather than a full install of the main software.

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : The EULA is posted on Sony's site. The correct answer to this question is that you may install it on both a desktop and laptop AS LONG AS only one is in use at one time. However, with network rendering you may legally install it on THREE computers and use the second two for rendering purposes. -->>>

Vovka Chopine January 31st, 2005 10:19 AM

Thank you for reply.
I agree that ads was to long, need about half shorter.
On homework propobly bad download, that short was downloaded over 300 times in last 3 days and you first who tell me about this problem. Intresting info in past 4 days total download trafic over 10Gbt.

Brian Bechard January 31st, 2005 10:45 AM

Rendering Problem

This has happened to me twice now. I render a project out to an AVI file...the project starts teh render process...and at 85% completion it stops for some reason. I end up getting about 5 min of rendered video in AVI form. Both of these were over 30 minutes of video with 2-3 simple filters and minimal text. I set the render quality to good on one and best on the other. What am I doing wrong? I've rendered several smaller projects to AVI files successfully. Am I trying to render too large of a project all at once? Should I "chop it up" into 2or3 segments? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian Bechard January 31st, 2005 10:48 AM

Also I'm getting ridiculously long render times for some of my projects...like 9+ hours for 60min of video w/color curves, sharpen and a little glow here and there. My CPU is a P4 1.8ghz, memory 512. Is this normal??

Edward Troxel January 31st, 2005 11:23 AM

Here's Sony's official answer to that question:

http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/so...cHV0ZXJz&p_li=

I was also under the impression you could install a "network rendering agent" or something like that all by itself rather than a full install of the main software.

Vegas 5.0 and 5.0a were like that. Vegas 5.0b and newer just install the full product on the rendering machines.

Jeff Toogood January 31st, 2005 01:29 PM

Thinking about upgrading my computer, is it worth it?

I have a P4 2.4 GHZ w/533 FSB with 1 GB Ram.

Thinking about upgrading to a P4 3.2 with hyperthreading with 1 GB Ram.

How much of a performance increase will I see with Vegas rendering times?

Will it be noticeable?

Mark Kubat January 31st, 2005 04:02 PM

DSE: suggestions for "filmic" look in Sony Vegas?

DSE, am hoping you can share your thoughts here (- or do we have to buy the HDV book??? :)

We'd like to shoot HDV on FX1/Z1 and produce a downconverted SD DVD for NTSC so that the resulting product looks as "filmic" as possible in terms of cadence...

We've tried various things like intermediary progressive 24p/1080 converts and then out to progressive mpeg-2 SD DVD files... sure, we get some interesting results but am wondering if you could suggest a workflow using FX1/Z1 and Vegas 5.0d...

Objective - to shoot HDV and end up with SD DVD that has filmic cadence (we're using Magic Bullet for editors for Vegas to colour etc. so we've got that part down - just that some of our "motion" seems a little too "dream-like" - or "strobey" when we do our progressive intermediary file trick...

J.A.G guy shot cf25 - but DVfilm guys recommend 50i/60i... it's kinda trickier to figure out now in Vegas because cf modes are not progressive files so I don't think Vegas will really allow 2-3 pulldown removal option since it's not DVX-type 24p file...? Moreover, the way Vegas deinterlaces seems to be a bit of a mystery...

As you can see, we've racking our brains on this - hope you can shed some light for us... You really know Vegas (I know others do here too) and you really seem to know Sony HDV, so am really hoping you can help shed some light on this...

any "recipes?"

50i?60i?cf30?24?25?

convert to progressive 1080 25p? 24p? 30p?

resulting progressive out to progressive SD DVD-compliant mpeg-2 or since we've already "deinterlaced" can it stay with a field order...???

Thanks in advance!

Glenn Chan January 31st, 2005 06:36 PM

You can use a rule of thumb and divide the CPU's clock speed. This only works when comparing the same family CPU (i.e. it'll never work for Intel vs AMD, or Pentium versus Pentium-M)

Your new system would be roughly a third faster. It should be noticeable, although it's not some huge leap in performance.

Robert Mann Z. January 31st, 2005 07:34 PM

jeff, encoding should speed up some as the bus can be as high as 1066 MHz, which is about double your current bus...

this will surely make your haddrives the bottle neck, although your new mother board should have sata ports and not ide that means more money and a faster data path...