DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Allen Nash February 16th, 2005 04:33 PM

Am i missing something (ie. it's hidden in another filter) or is there no other normalize in vegas other than the one in a clip's properties? not even a destructive edit i could make? the normalize i'm looking at doesn't let you specify head room.

Glenn Chan February 16th, 2005 04:41 PM

I don't think the volume envelopes work down to sample-level accuracy.

Usually you don't need to go that far, but if you do, Vegas' integrationg with Sound Forge is excellent. It keeps takes of the edits you make in Sound Forge. So you can undo destructive edits.

Vegas does get into the subframe level, which allows you to make good dialogue edits.

2- Workaround for Normalize: Normalize, and then drop the volume on the clip.

Workaround2: In the Vegas settings, you can set what level to normalize to.

Allen Nash February 16th, 2005 04:50 PM

awesome, thanks glenn.

Richard Alvarez February 16th, 2005 06:01 PM

For the record, Avid XpressProHD cuts sound down to the quarter frame level.

Aaron Koolen February 16th, 2005 08:03 PM

iTunes isn't so much the problem, as the Apple Store. I use iTunes on my PC and don't have any problems. I'd never buy from somewhere with some DRM style thing on it. I just buy the CD's and rip them.

Aaron

Lorraine Boyle February 16th, 2005 09:36 PM

Ed,

The mystery is solved - thanks to you. I was about to describe the effect I was seeing as picture-in-picture when I noticed a thread about .. PIP.

When I read your newsletters I knew I had inadvertantly switched on track motion somewhere along the line; and so it was. I was seeing the sides of a large PIP box. Using your excellent instruction I resized the box in track motion and things are looking up.

Many many thanks. Great newsletter. You are a wonderful human being.

Lorraine

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2005 10:05 PM

Glad to hear you found the answer!

A quick way to tell if Track Motion is in use: There will be a small keyframe track below the video track when Track Motion is active.

Greg Boston February 17th, 2005 02:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by Shannon Rawls : <<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu :
A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in. -->>>

Good idea John. And not that dirty actually. it still maintains a very high bitrate and quality.

Problem solved.

- Shannon W. Rawls -->>>

Yep, I posted this awhile back when I was having issues getting music into a wedding video. That ended up being my solution which worked quite well. Shannon, I wouldn't sweat the iTunes thing much. On a pc, just fire up any wave file recorder and hit play in itunes. To borrow your words...'problem solved'. :)

-gb-

Peter Jefferson February 17th, 2005 06:24 AM

Avid also has a direct connection with Pro tools, think of it in the way Vegas and SoundForge can be coupled together.. Avid and ProTools works in a simialr fashion.

i guess with Vegas 6, theyll be implementing numerous new features most likely already found in the new version of Acid and soundforge 8....

One thing I would like, would be to control CC Data of a hardware/softsynth via an envelope within a "midi send" track within Vegas..
This way i can literally set filter cut offs, resonance, effects etc etc and any other control via midi to my Hardware and have it all synced within vegas.. right now, im using vegas to trigger orion, which in turn is triggering soft synths and other studio sound gear.. and its realy realy twistchy coz they tweaks are supposed to be synced to the footage.. but if i cant see the footage i need to play it by ear and frames.

Now having a midi send would be good.. this'll help with scoring and offer precise control of effects and tweaks for those who use external hardware to create soudn effects and music which needs to go with the footage.. at least this way u can actaully see the footage..

Peter Jefferson February 17th, 2005 06:47 AM

another trick is to overlay a new video track with your new footage.. and only using that new cut OVER your original edit. this way insted of reshuffling teh whole lot, you can literally move all the events across, add your new piece with its paired sound fx etc, then move everything back.
I do this with alot of corporate stuff as i collate material from different sources.. it needs to be added in parts which i have already edited and it saves aot of hassle..

Adi Head February 17th, 2005 12:11 PM

thanks for the replies. next time i have to do this, i'll try taking some of your advice.
if i run into any other problems, i'll let you know.

thanks again,
adi

Ron Guilmette February 17th, 2005 01:10 PM

Ed, Sorry I did'nt get back right away. I re-named the file and everything is back to normal. ????

If it happens again I'll send it to you. Than I'll have myself commited. :)

Yi Fong Yu February 17th, 2005 09:13 PM

are Academic versions of Vegas allowed to create commercial projects (money)?

i know that in terms of Macromedia and Adobe academic/educational licenses always stipulate that you are to use their "academic" license versions for training purposes but you can't create commercial DVDs to sell to prospective clients for money, is taht the case with Vegas as well? is that a sort of rule of thumb for video editing software or content creation softare in general?

but honestly, how many popular short films out there get examined by licensing divisions of software companies? ya know?

Rhett Allen February 17th, 2005 10:02 PM

That's the rule with ANY software. That's why it's called the "Academic" version and not the "Commercial" version. If you are ever in doubt you can always consult the end user license agreement or the purchase agreement you agreed to when you bought it.

Edward Troxel February 17th, 2005 10:42 PM

Technically, the license agreement is the same for either the standard or academic versions. Although, if you're going to be making money from it, you *should* be able to aford the standard version.

To be 100% sure, you can always check with customer service.

Kevin Crockett February 17th, 2005 10:44 PM

Boris Graffiti vs Live Type

Just wondering if Grafittt is able to generate and animate titles as well as Live Type?

If not, which program would you use?

Rokta Bija February 17th, 2005 11:07 PM

I had the same problem viewing homework, stopped after only a few seconds.

I went to your website and downloaded the AVI version and got a good chuckle. I thought the effects were well done!

Rob Lohman February 18th, 2005 04:32 AM

Now that is a VERY interesting thing to know! Funny how these
things sometimes work eh.

Rob Lohman February 18th, 2005 04:53 AM

Brian: I would advice you to look around the board for answers
of those questions. There are numerous threads (especially in
the HDV specific camera forums!) on your subjects. How to get
progressive from the interlaced camera's etc. This thread talks
about progressive PAL to progressive NTSC 24 fps.

Ahmet Ilhan February 18th, 2005 07:42 AM

same problem here. 3000 half downloads u got there

Edward Troxel February 18th, 2005 08:52 AM

Yes it will animate text.

Vovka Chopine February 18th, 2005 11:55 AM

Thank you guys for information, I will recode again, and see what's goin on with it.

Brent Kovar February 18th, 2005 03:23 PM

Audio Effects in Vegas on single clip

Total newbie here. I know this is probably an easy question to this, but I can't figure it out. I am trying to add audio effects to only a certain audio clip in the time line, but whenever I do, the effects come out on the entire track, all the clips even though I have split the audio clips on the timeline. For example, I want to change the pitch only on a certain section of video, but the whole video ends up being changed. There has to be an easy solution to this.....

Thanks,
BK

Don Bloom February 18th, 2005 03:33 PM

split the audio track at both the front and back ends of the area you wish to appy the audio effect and that should solve your problem

Don B

Edward Troxel February 18th, 2005 04:22 PM

You have two options:

1) Apply the effect to that one segment as a "Apply Non real-time Event FX"

2) Move that one segment to a new track and apply the effect to the new track (remember, you can have as many as needed)

I vote for #2.

Rokta Bija February 18th, 2005 07:47 PM

What did you use for the fireworks and smoke in her hands?

Brent Kovar February 18th, 2005 08:21 PM

duh! I feel like an idiot. I guess #2 should have been pretty obvious to me.

Thanks a bunch!
BK

Glenn Chan February 18th, 2005 08:24 PM

Color correction in Vegas demos

I had a copy of music video footage that I cut and played around with. I did the editing and color correction in Vegas. I did a presentation on the color correction part of it to a Toronto Final Cut Pro User's Group meeting, and you can see my notes at
http://www.glennchan.info/fcpugto/

You can download Quicktimes of the final music video, plus a side-by-side comparison of the uncorrected footage versus the final footage. As well, there are lots of roll-over images showing the steps I took.

A lot of it is aimed towards Final Cut Pro users but I believe it should have enough detail that Vegas users can figure out how to do it. I am very open to questions so if anyone wants instructions on how I did (blah) then I'd be glad to answer it. Just add a reply to this thread.

Vovka Chopine February 18th, 2005 09:19 PM

particleIllusion
http://www.wondertouch.com/default.asp
very easy to use.

Barry Rivadue February 19th, 2005 11:37 AM

DVD Menu Backgrounds

Vegas DVD comes with menu background presets of course, but how can I expand and/or download new menu background designs?

Gary Kleiner February 19th, 2005 02:34 PM

A valid question, but you are aware that you can use any still or video as the menu background, yes?

Gary

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 19th, 2005 02:46 PM

See you there, Ray!

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 19th, 2005 02:49 PM

NAB Vegas Event Announcement

http://www.vasst.com/NABParty.htm is where you can find information and register for the Vegas Users Group event being held at NAB.

DVInfo.net and HDVInfo.net are sponsors of this event. If you are a registered attendee to the party, you'll get free drinks, food, and a special gift from sponsors. Walk-ins won't get nada.

Geez, I gotta get back round to this forum more often. The HDV and Audio forums keep me away from here too much. Been busy!

Hope to see a bunch of you at the NAB event!

Edward Troxel February 19th, 2005 04:55 PM

I plan to be there! Who else is coming???

Edward Troxel February 19th, 2005 05:01 PM

Plus, there are a few extra themes on the Sony site.

Emre Safak February 19th, 2005 05:07 PM

Is DebugMode FrameServer slow?

A two-pass VBR encode using Procode 2 of a fifteen minute video took two hours (i.e., ran at 1/4-real time.) Is this normal? I have a 1.9GHz P4. I used 2-3 layers with no filters, and cuts or cross-fades for transitions.

Is there a quality hit in encoding a DV render rather than frameserving?

Edward Troxel February 19th, 2005 05:36 PM

Out of curiosity, how long did a 2-pass VBR encode straight in Vegas take? And if you look at the two, can you see any difference?

My understanding is that you would take a slight quality hit but, considering the end result is MPEG2, you probably wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Barry Rivadue February 19th, 2005 05:41 PM

Thank you both for alleviating my ignorance. :D

Shannon Rawls February 19th, 2005 07:26 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : I plan to be there! Who else is coming??? -->>>

Me!

Jeff Toogood February 19th, 2005 07:52 PM

Displaying Datacode in Vegas?

Not sure if this can be done in vegas or not, or maybe another app somewhere.

I have a bunch of dv clips that I got handed to me and they are not indentified very well. Is there a way for Vegas to display the date information, so I know when the video was shot? Or is there a way to view the avi file in windows and be able to tell when the video was shot?

Thanks