DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Glen Elliott January 22nd, 2005 10:25 AM

We are referring to PCM and AC-3 file rendered in Vegas specifically for DVDA. They are always legal that way.

Bob Cantrell January 22nd, 2005 10:39 AM

External Monitor Problem

Can anyone help with this? At first, whenever there was a transition, the image on the external would freeze, the transition would then appear in the Vegas preview until the transition ends. Then it would switch back to the external monitor until the next transition where the whole process was repeated. That was yesterday. Today the image on the monitor freezes at the first transition and just stays frozen. I am using 5.0. I tried using 4.0 and had no problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Gary Kleiner January 22nd, 2005 11:19 AM

Go to Preferences>Video Device and make sure you you have 'Recompress edited frames' checked.

Gary

Jack Smith January 22nd, 2005 02:22 PM

True they would be legal however some dvd players may have a problem with auto switching.Just out of curiosity what would the advantage be to having some pcm and some ac3?

Bob Cantrell January 22nd, 2005 02:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Go to Preferences>Video Device and make sure you you have 'Recompress edited frames' checked.

Gary -->>>

Bingo! Thank you Gary.

Bob

Philippe Gosselin January 22nd, 2005 02:37 PM

Easy hardware related question

Hi all,

Just went from Athlon XP to Athlon 64 , new mobo and ram.

In this case would you recommand reinstalling Vegas or not

Thanks

Glenn Chan January 22nd, 2005 05:59 PM

If you switched your motherboard, windows will likely BSOD on startup.

To avoid this, see http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4/m/1400925745
Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall (243kB of images)

2- You probably don't need to re-install Vegas in my opinion.

John C. Thompson January 22nd, 2005 06:41 PM

Rendering in Vegas - MPG2 or AVI ??

Hi guys, just quick question. I use a Canon GL2 and I have been using Vegas 5.0 on a PC for a while now. Im wondering if I should be rendering into MPG2 or AVI before making my DVD's? I have been rendering into AVI and have not had a problem but should I be using MPG2 instead? And what is the difference if any? Thanks !!

Glen Elliott January 22nd, 2005 06:52 PM

None I just accidently rendered a few as PCM.

Michael Wisniewski January 22nd, 2005 07:08 PM

You should render directly to MPEG2, that way you only have to render once. You'll also have to render the audio to an AC3 file. Make sure that the MPEG2 file and the matching AC3 file have the same name, except for their extensions.

There are settings in Vegas for rendering to DVDA MPEG2/AC3 . If you need to render multiple files try a multirender script

Edward Troxel January 22nd, 2005 07:40 PM

I would either re-render those to AC3 in Vegas or just allow DVDA to convert them.

Leo Anderson January 22nd, 2005 11:50 PM

I use an Albatron FX 5200 to run two monitors off of one AGP slot.

It's works great with Vegas 5 and it's powerfull enough for a quick game of Call of Duty every now and then.

As an added bonus, it includes the DVI to VGA adapter for the second monitor in the box.

It's pretty cheap too, newegg has it for about $57.00 right now with shipping.

Philippe Gosselin January 23rd, 2005 12:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up Glenn.

My switch went as smooth as it could get , the fact that the new mobo and a Via chipset as old one had probably explains a lot.

There is a couple of games that i had to reinstall , that's why I was wondering about Vegas as well , knowing some software went hayware i just thought that maybe Vegas would too.

All looks clear then

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 23rd, 2005 02:24 PM

Pre-NAB Announcement

http://www.vasst.com/mailers/NABBlasst.htm
I'm not sure what a pre-announcement is, but it's the language I was given to use. :-)
This party is sponsored by a number of companies including our own DVInfo.net/HDVInfo.net, so I'll leave it to you to view the mailer to find out who, rather than listing them all here. Thousands of $$ in door prizes, top-notch professional presenters, and some screenings will take place at this event in honor of our favorite software suite.

If you're even just considering attending Vegas this year for NAB, check out the Post Production Conference as well. We're working with the Post Production conference folks to make this the most Sony software-centric NAB ever. For the first time in the NAB conferences, we'll have sessions featuring Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge, and Noise Reduction in addition to the other sessions. This is your chance to get in on the first year of the Vegas and ACID bootcamps, as well as the HDV classes at NAB. There are more than 250 conference sessions to choose from at NAB this year, and there are more than 20 sessions that will show, teach, or demonstrate Vegas, ACID, or Sound Forge in those sessions.

Chris Trainor January 23rd, 2005 07:23 PM

working and moving markers.

i film biographies on ppl, then chop it up and render it out on dvd, blah blah.

so, i import the footage in vegas, and as i review the footage, i delete out the interviewer's voice, and set a marker as to the title of the topic.

by the end of the footage, i generally have 30+ markers, with gaps in between the blank footage where i deleted the narrator's voice. still with me?

it ends up looking like this:

http://www.labproductions.com/temp/markers.jpg

so my question is, when i am moving all the split footage back towards the begining of the video, how do i group the markers in so i dont loose them as a point of reference? if i try and move the audio and video, or even group it together, the markers stay put on the timeline. i need them to move with the corresponding footage.

am i going about this all wrong? is there a better way?

thanks!

Edward Troxel January 23rd, 2005 08:37 PM

If you use ripple editing and have it set to affect everything, it will move those markers automatically. Just double-clidk the blank area (to select it), make sure ripple edit is turned on and set to affect all tracks/marker/regions and press the delete key.

Chris Trainor January 23rd, 2005 08:42 PM

thanks, will give that a whirl.

yet to use ripple editing. thanks for the advice.

Gary Kleiner January 23rd, 2005 08:56 PM

>is there a better way?<

I wouldn't do this with markers, but by naming the events in the timeline.

First go to preferences and turn on 'Show Active take information in events'.

Then for each event, right-click>Properties and enter a take name. That way, each event is labled for you and stays with the event no matter where/how you move it.

Gary

Chris Trainor January 23rd, 2005 09:03 PM

another fine suggestion.

been using vegas forever, and seems like i have been doing it the hard way.

what a great resource this forum is.

thanks guys.

*edit* that is exactly what i needed. thanks.

Edward Troxel January 23rd, 2005 09:20 PM

Just to give you another option, there's always the "Extract Good Clips" tool in Tsunami. It allows you to mark the good sections with regions and then pulls them out separately to a new track.

Kyle Ringin January 23rd, 2005 11:11 PM

Wow, sorry for the late reply! I didn't see your reply.
I guess you've figured it out by now, but in case someone else is wondering:

Short answer - yes you are right. If you play the anamorphic 16:9 through any device that is not '16:9 aware', it will look squashed horizontally. Some newer 4:3 TVs have a 16:9 squeeze mode that will letterbox it correctly.

Doing it the other way around isn't usually such a problem. If you play the 4:3 LB video on a widescreen TV in 4:3 mode the screen will letterbox on all 4 sides (not a good look), but pretty much all widescreen TVs have a zoom mode that will play the video fullscreen (albeit not with the resolution the anamorphic would have been.

I believe the best output medium (for me) is DVD. I can shoot anamorphic, make an anamorphic DVD, then play it on my widescreen at full resolution, but if someone plays it on a 4:3 TV, the DVD player will letterbox it correctly (provided they have their DVD player setup correctly).

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2005 03:37 AM

See the sticky thread in this forum for links to all sort of Vegas
extensions etc.

At this point in time there are no plans for a new season of Lady X,
mainly due to time restrictions on our parts. But who knows what
will happen this year, we haven't abandoned it or anything.

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2005 03:49 AM

You can also look at this in the positive light: the more exposure
of your work the more change you'll get seen and people might
purchase your services, wether for wedding work or fictional work,
that's what I think. However, you shouldn't encourage it or let it
slide if you find out someone is making large amount of copies
(especially if they are being sold).

If you are offering a product I can imagine you are offering copies
as well? So there is a base price for the manufacturing of the
product and then a price for additional copies (which should cover
the disc costs, nice case and your time etc.) that seems reasonable
(I would try to make my profit with the product in general, not
the copies) so they are not too easily thinking about doing the
copying on their own.

Perhaps a value added service (if you are doing a wedding) is to
send these discs out to everyone as well? (ofcourse you should
be compensated for this and only after the couple has seen the
footage and OK-ed the distribution) In this way they don't have
to bother with this themselves and have more time to enjoy
eachother <g>

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2005 04:22 AM

I'll see if I can run some tests, time is very short at the moment
though. Please post in the following thread for your notification
problem:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=36726

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2005 04:59 AM

I think some people are using it (with WAX as well). Why do you
want to know?

Graham Bernard January 24th, 2005 05:46 AM

I've got it, but can't make it work - most likley me.

I'm listenning to this thread .. oh yes .. .

Grazie

Mark McCarthy January 24th, 2005 07:02 AM

Attaching a beta sp player for Vegas..

Hello all.
Does anyone know how I can attach a Beta SP player to my PC, so I bring footage straight into Vegas.

At the moment I am attachnig my camera to the Beta deck and transferring it to DV, and then firewiring it in from the camera.

This takes extra time and probably a loss of quality.

thanks
Mark

Edward Troxel January 24th, 2005 08:30 AM

Assuming the camera allows pass-thru, you can skip the recording to tape step. Just hook up the unit to the camera, hook the camera up to the computer, and capture straight to the hard drive through the camera skipping the tape. You need to turn OFF device control for this to work.

Mark McCarthy January 24th, 2005 08:47 AM

Hi Edward
I'll try that thanks. I haven't tried turning off the device control option.
Thanks for the swift reply!
regards
Mark

Hugh DiMauro January 24th, 2005 08:48 AM

Slow Timeline Play

I am running a dual monitor, 3 ghz P4 with 2056 meg of ram (PC) with every conceivable background program turned off, two 250 gig hard drives for data only and one 160 gig hard drive for programs. So, when I apply a Magic Bullet Movie Look filter on a clip, the playback slows down so much that it looks like it moves one frame per second. With all my memory and space, why is the application of one filter slowing my timeline play so drastically? Did I shut off too many background programs? Did I not shut off enough?

HALP!

Kim Kinser January 24th, 2005 08:58 AM

I could not get the video morph to work. It seems to be an issue that Sony needs to address.

Using standalone winmorph I can morph a still image, but to morph video it seems you need to use winmorph as a plugin.

I guess that is what wax is for?

Hugh DiMauro January 24th, 2005 09:06 AM

In Camera 16 X 9 Better than 4 X 3?

Does anybody agree or disagree with this:

http://members.macconnect.com/users/b/ben/widescreen/index.html

Edward Troxel January 24th, 2005 09:46 AM

It's Magic Bullet. It's a terribly slow plugin - effective but SLOW. You can achieve the same looks manually but it will take some work on your part. You might want to look at the Zenote plugins. They are MUCH faster.

Graham Bernard January 24th, 2005 10:10 AM

Magic Bullet? yeah right . .. Tried it once, not again until they speed up the process .. nice effects, get busy with creating your own home grown presets and name them and sue them .. lots to experiment with. Apart from anything else you will be in the fortunate business of having created your own!

Go on, get experimenting . .Vegas WONT let you down ..

G

Albert Rodgers January 24th, 2005 11:21 AM

Deinterlace/Progressive Scan/Reduce Flicker?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have recently captured interlaced video of a young lady doing a sign language presentation with white gloves and a black dress. When she moves her hands quickly I see a terrible blur and sometimes horizontal lines. I have experimented Interlace/Progressive Scan modes under Project and clip properties. I have also checked reduce interlace flicker. Can some one please tell me the setting that might result in the smoothiest video.
1. Should I leave the Project property set for interlacing? Should I use blend or interpolate?

2. If checking reducing interlace flicker has to be set, is there anyway to do this projectiwide?

Please help. Thank you!

Edward Troxel January 24th, 2005 12:14 PM

First question: WHERE are you seeing this?

Second question: WHAT is your final output destination?

Philippe Gosselin January 24th, 2005 12:34 PM

I can't believe I missed it

Thanks for the heads up Rob

Phil

PS: As soon as you make a decision for the LadyX let me know cuz am in :)

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2005 03:57 PM

Why would Sony need to make this work? They didn't make the
program/plugin. Isn't Winmorph supposed to work as a plugin
for Wax instead of Vegas (directly)?

Albert Rodgers January 24th, 2005 04:02 PM

1. I see this (horizontal lines through hands during fast movement) when I do a selective prerender in avi format and playback at Best on preview monitor.

2. The final destination is onto a DVD.

Michael Wisniewski January 24th, 2005 04:31 PM

Check to see if you're mixing aspect ratios.

I've gotten severe shearing/blurring when I've shot 16:9 video and output using a 4:3 template.