Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #586
Regular Crew

Using iTunes Songs

I have bought many songs from the iTunes music store but when I want to use them for little video projects, it does not allow me to use them. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

MITCH
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #587
Regular Crew

Just a cheapy Dell mouse. Two buttons and a wheel. Nothing fancy.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #588
Major Player

My friend had the exact same thing happen in Vegas. Can't recall exactly, but I think it had something to do with his video card settings.
Something about slowing mouse acceleration or lowering to 50% during games or video acceleration? and for some reason his mouse thought Vegas was a game application.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #589
Regular Crew

Jeff, you're the man, didn't even think about looking there (doh!). Under mouse properties in the control panel, there is a box checked for "Disable Acceleration in Games." Unchecking this did the trick. Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #590
Regular Crew

cutting audio by sample

i'm just looking for clarification: there's no way to do this in Vegas right? no workaround, plug-in, script, etc.? I know that video editors don't cut to samples traditionally, but i figured that it might be implemented somehow in a video editor built by a sound company.

I don't really see why this feature hasn't made it into NLE's by now. what do you guys think?
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #591
Sponsor: JET DV

Ah yes... I remember that now too. Because Vegas uses the DirectX components, some apps think it's a game. Glad you found the solution.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #592

Yes, Vegas can work with audio down to the Sample. You'll need to turn off "Quantize to frames" to get to the subframe level.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #593
Regular Crew

that's sweet. AVID doesn't even do that, right?

thanks!!

oh yeah and now that i can do that, what's the point of mixing with a seperate program (I was using adobe audition). actually i can think of a few reasons but am curious what others think.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #594

There ARE a few reasons to use dedicated audio programs. For one example, the Sound Forge Normalize is much more powerful than the Vegas Normalize. However, Vegas can handle a LOT all on it's own.

Step back in time and you'll see that Vegas 1.0 was a Multi-Track audio editing program. Vegas 2.0 added Video components!
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #595
Regular Crew

clip speed higher than 1200% ?

is this possible? I think i remember a thread about this before, but can't find it, sorry.

If a method doesnt exist I guess i could just apply a speed, render the clip (making the speed change permanent), import it and then apply a new speed.. but does a quicker way exist?

.thanks
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #596
Major Player

Not to start a war or anything, but everywhere I turn, I see reasons why I am glad I am a "PC Guy" and not a "MAC Guy".

btw, I own a G3 iMac DV 400 with OSX and FCP3.

But Vegas....nothing can touch it in my opinon.

My wife just bought a 40GB iPod (cause it was cute and her friends have one). I like it too. However, I told her "Don't you dare put that iTunes stuff on your Vaio baby! Figure out a way to sync it with your windows media player that you are used to." Low and behold, she found a plug in to make it work. So sorry, I can't help you with iTunes. Had you been on Windows Media Player, you wouldn't be having this issue. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #597

Two options:

1) Render it out, add it back to the timeline again, and speed it up again.

2) Use Time Bandit - part of the Veggie Toolkit.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #598
Major Player

Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by Mitch Buss : I have bought many songs from the iTunes music store but when I want to use them for little video projects, it does not allow me to use them. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

MITCH -->>>

A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #599
Major Player

Re: Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu :
A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in. -->>>

Good idea John. And not that dirty actually. it still maintains a very high bitrate and quality.

Problem solved.

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #600
Major Player

Re: CF25 in HDV mode

Sorry Chris, if this is in the wrong forum....

Instead of shooting in CF25, wouldn't a better option be to shoot interlaced, and run a 24fps conversion in Vegas?

For HDV, after capturing with the Cineform codec, run either Edward's 24fps script or Ultimate S/Celluloid, and won't the output be of a higher quality that the CF25?

Or is the issue one of interlace artifacts?

In the alternative, why would CF25 be better than Sony's CF24 mode?

Brian
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...