Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #691
Regular Crew

You can use any graphic file by browsing or dragging to Button Properties>Graphics>Thumbnail

If you are talking about a frame from the video that the button represents, just change the Start Time.

Gary
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #692
Regular Crew

Thanks. But I'm not looking at changing the start time so much as I am looking to change the graphic that is represented (but still starting at frame 1)
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #693
Inner Circle

you shoudl also check your temp storage capacity, preview ram settings too (i used to have mine on full and i got stack dump errors bascailly runnign out of memory... )

the longest render ive had though, was for black barred 4:3 footage, runnign colour corrections and colour curves and ive had the longest render be 27 hours.. for 2 hours worth of material..

im only runnign a P4 non HT 2.4, with 1gb ram..
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #694
Major Player

HDV in Vegas 5.0 Trial Program

Hi all,

I've got the trial version of Vegas 5.0 (which is very nice I might add, i think i'll buy a copy) in which I want to do some really basic HDV editing with a FX1 which i'm borrowing this weekend for a test to see if i'll like the camera before i buy it.

Can I edit HDV with the Vegas 5 trial program & what plug ins do i need? Can you download the plug ins as a trial?
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #695
Major Player

Pick some cool music first, and the editing ideas will come.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #696
Major Player

Why doesn't Vegas just capture it on its own??

thanks
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #697
Sponsor: JET DV

If you change the timecode where Gary indicated, it WILL change the graphic to what is at that timecode but WILL NOT change where the chapter points to.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #698
Major Player

I think Cineform.com has one for Vegas (Connect HD), but I do not know if it will work for the demo version of Vegas. U can ask David and the folks at Cineform to answer that question. Also, if my memory serves me right Vegas will not natively capture, but it will natively edit HDV content once imported into its media pool(though it is probably slow without the plug-in).
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #699
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : Vegas will not natively capture, but it will natively edit HDV content once imported into its media pool(though it is probably slow without the plug-in). -->>>

i'm a bit confused... how do you capture the DV from the FX1 then?
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #700
Major Player

I thought the issue was the capture (and edit) of HDV, which I am be wrong about, but I believe Vegas does not capture (but can import if already on the hard drive). Now I know it works this way for the JVC HDV cam, though I am not certain about the FX1, but it may be the same.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #701
Regular Crew

Using Cineform's HDLink, you can digitize, then import into Vegas.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #702
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Brent Marks : Why doesn't Vegas just capture it on its own??

thanks -->>>

An excellent question that I've been asking for a while... without any truly valid response.

It's a shame, because such a glaring oversight - considering the perception that Vegas IS also a Sony product, will not help the Vegas cause against any competing NLE that gives FX-1/Z1 users direct capture capabilities.

You can capture directly to Vegas if you set the cam to DV downconvert.... but why when HDV is what people bought the camera for?!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #703
Regular Crew

I bet more is available after NAB...be patient grasshopper. : )
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #704
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Sean M Lee : I bet more is available after NAB...be patient grasshopper. : ) -->>>

Oh I can wait.... that's what I've had to do up until now, so a little more isn't going to destroy me :)

It's just a shame that as a Vegas user, I feel compelled to be honest enough when the question is asked "what NLE would you advise for use with the FX-1?", that I have to say "I use Vegas, but you will need to consider a 3rd party codec to capture from the cam".

You know a potential user of what could be the most elegant HDV solution available, may be lost to this one 'Achilles Heel'... And that isn't my loss, if they don't end up using Vegas, but it doesn't make me feel any better either...
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #705
Inner Circle

Steve,

Being the first is nice, being accurate is better. Avid won't have their HDV capture active untill after NAB either. I use Avid, and I can wait. Don't worry about it.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...