Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1036
Major Player

HELP...rendering to mpeg 24p

I just tried to render an m2t file in Vegas5 to the preset 24p NTSC widescreen...

The video came out great... but there was no Audio!

WHAT GIVES?

HELP!
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #1037
Sponsor: JET DV

Was the include audio option turned on?

You can also render the audio to a separate WAV file.
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #1038
Major Player

bump up...

If anyone could even answer one or the other, I'd very much appreciate it...

Thanks again --
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #1039
Major Player

I believe the DVD standard is 48k.Some things may play I don't know,I guessing most won't play with 44.1k. but to follow the DVD standard use 48k.I would suggest rerendering to a 48k audio however if you don't change the video it should render pretty fast.
Mixing audio of different properties(ie 48k and 44.1k) has been tabu in years past so I automatically convert all my audio to the same as the project settings.I don't know if you HAVE to I just do it.
I'm not sure I get the hum problem.Are you saying you have a project with 48k audio and when rendered as mpg2 at 48k you get hum?
Is that once burned to DVD?are you using AC3?
or played on computer ?
Do you have mixed audio in the timeline(44.1 & 48k)?
With a little more info maybe someone her can figure out your problem
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #1040
Major Player

duh, yeah, that was it... my bad... sorry i posted so quick
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1041
Regular Crew

Joven:

You could do a lot worse than load down all 23 of Edward's newletters, print them out, and read them!

They are one the the quickest ways to get a head's up, they were invaluable to me when I was getting started.

Andy
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #1042
Major Player

Yeah, seriously. All you do is drop in this one file (I use a PNG I made myself, but it's the exact same thing), then stretch out the thing in the timeline to cover the whole project. It's extremely simple and takes like 30 seconds.
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1043
Regular Crew

Letterbox Distortion

Ok Ive been editing some xl2 and dvx footage together. Heres the facts.

-The XL2 was captured as 16:9.

-The DVXs were captured as 4:3 and shot letterboxed.

-Vegas is set up as a 4:3 project.

Ok so when I butt the DVX letterboxed with the XL2, I first discovered that the black bars didnt match up and looked like they were jumping around. No problum, I pan/croped the dvx stuff in slightly to match the xl2 letterbox that was automatically produced when I draged the xl2 footage into the 4:3 timeline.

The problum is, when I burnt it out to DVD there is occasioanlly a white line of distortion along the top of the black bars on both the top and bottom. Its slight but noticable. It also seems random. Any ideas what this is?

I figure I can put in a mat on another track to correct but Id rather know what the problum is. Thanks. Oh yeah, is there a downloadable letterbox mat anywhere?

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1044
Slash Rules!

What I've found to be what seems to be the "correct way" to do it (assuming you're wanting 16:9) is this: you take something easy, like a solid color, apply the letterbox in pan/crop, then render out that to an AVI File (for some reason, I've had issues using stills, I get a white line at the top of the letterbox, between the black and the video). Take this AVI, put in a track over the video, stretch it to whatever length you need (if it loops, who cares? It's all the same), and use the chroma key to get rid of the solid color.

This may be too elaborate, but it always works for me.
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #1045
Regular Crew

thank you

Thank you.....
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #1046
Major Player

I use to get a line between the letterbox and the video as well. That was when I was using a gif though. That or something created with the media generator. After I created the same thing as a PNG (which has an alpha channel and all that jazz) it works fine. I just crop it out in Cleaner anyway, but it looks fine.
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #1047
Inner Circle

The PNG method sounds better.

If you use the pan/crop tool, check that effects are applied BEFORE the pan/crop. If you have gaussian blur, then the letterbox (black bars) will get blurred too. Also, you may accidentally copy over some clip attributes you may not want to (like reduce interlace flicker).
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #1048
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : Here's an honest articel about 64bit computing.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...s/index.x?pg=1 -->>>

Very well written - best so far... this section i enjoyed...

"By moving to a 64-bit addressing scheme, the possible address space grows exponentially from 232 to 264, so that the x86-64 ISA allows for what seems like a practically unlimited amount of memory. The theoretical peak size of a 64-bit address space is 16 exabytes, an extremely large number. Current AMD64 processors allow up to 40 bits of physical address space, or one terabyte, and up to 48 bits of virtual address space, or 256TB. Initial versions of WinXP x64 will support as much as 128GB of physical RAM and up to 16 terabytes of virtual memory. The upper limits of the Windows system cache size grow from 1GB in 32 bits to 1TB in 64 bits, a thousand-fold increase. WinXP x64 even takes advantage of the additional headroom for 32-bit apps, giving each one up to 4GB of its own space."

"Special offer: Oder your Dell workstation before August 20 2006 and get two Exabyte of RAM FREE!"
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #1049
Major Player

Quicktime movies

Having trouble saving a file as a quicktime movie. It renders the entire file, but then gives an error message. Any suggestions?
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1050
Sponsor: JET DV

First of all (just to make sure), when you installed Quicktime, you did choose "Custom" and then picked everything (especially the Authoring Components)?

If yes, what error message are you getting?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...