Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #976
RED Code Chef

Personally I would use a dedicated burning program like Nero.
Just export to WAV/PCM and load, start nero and create an audio
CD and point it to the WAV/PCM files.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #977
RED Code Chef

Usually you edit first, and then work on effects etc. So you can do
the edit in Vegas, output to whatever format you want to work
with and load that into AE etc.

Old March 19th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #978
Sponsor: JET DV

If you're going to use a dedicated program - how about CD Architect. Exactly what it was designed to do (and now comes FREE with the Sound Forge 8 purchase).
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #979
RED Code Chef

I didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the heads up Edward!
I'll do some reading on the product.

Old March 19th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #980

The version included with SF8 is version number 5.2. It's been around for many years. Full details can be found at http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=963
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #981
Regular Crew

Help on adding a hard drive -- what do you recommend

OK -- so I am trying to outfit my system appropriately so that I can edit video.

The system that I have now is this:
Dell dimension 4700
p4 3.0 gigahertz
512 MB
40 GB Seagate barracuda sata drive (came with computer)

anyhow, I want to add a hard drive. But I have no idea which drive to get -- what is compatible, what is not, etc. A lot of the cheaper drive seem to be ATA -- rather than SATA.

Is there a reason for that?

Anyhow, I do know that there is a spare slot for an extra hard drive inside the case of the Dell 4700.

I installed the the DVD burner on my own, and could probably figure out how to put the hard drive in -- as long as it is going to work !

What do you recommend?

Should I just pay more money and get an external drive? I am also going to want to upgrade memory at some point -- although I am trying to get by without doing so for as long as I can.

Thanks, everyone!
Los Angeles, California
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #982
Major Player

Splicing two seperate tracks together?

Is there a way to take two seperate video tracks (tracks that weren't simply split apart) and splice them together into one track? Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #983
Inner Circle

It's not a big deal whether you get ("traditional"/old-style) ATA or SATA drives, although they install differently.

How to install the drive:
Have you checked Dell's website for instructions? Apple for example has really good documentation on how to add upgrades. Hopefully Dell is like that.

Otherwise, if you buy a retail (and not OEM) version of a drive it will have good instructions. Or, there are instructions on the internet.

You shouldn't experience much difficulty installing the drive. Dell cases are well-designed so the physical part ain't that hard (opening the case may be the hardest part). On the drives, you have to check the jumper settings. Take a look at the jumper setting on the seagate before you install the other drive.

There's a ~127GB size limitation if you are running winXP or earlier without service pack 1. Your computer likely has XP service pack 2 so you're covered.

Make sure to format the drive NTFS after you install it.

Since you installed your DVD burner yourself already, get an ATA hard drive and it should be very similar.

2- Buy a drive off a vendor like newegg.com, or check hot deals sites as deals on hard drives are very common. In the US there are some really good deals on hard drives, although they can be a real hassle with rebates.

I would not get an external drive as they are slower, more prone to issues/not workingness, and more expensive.
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #984
New Boot

you could render them to a new track, they will then be one clip, or you could group them, they will move together but fx will be seperate
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #985
Major Player

Yea, so far I took a scene, edited it together, then went into AE and then put it back into Vegas for final output along with letterboxing it. Seems to be working out pretty well actually.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #986
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion on checking the Dell web site. That was exactly what I needed. :-)

By the way, from reading that web site, I learned that the dimension 4700 has room for only 2 IDE drives (which are both being taken up by my DVD burner and my CD-Rom) and so I will need to get a SATA Drive -- believe it or not. That was a close call -- so thank you for your help!

All the best,
Albert
Los Angeles, California
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #987

Just drag them back to back on the one track. You really don't need them to be "one" event. If you want them to move together, just group them (select them both and press "G"). However, if you INSIST on them being a single event, just render to a new single event and put that on the timeline instead.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #988
Regular Crew

Replacing Media in DVDA

I have three questions:

1. I complete a 1 1/2 hour concert and began developing the DVD interface in DVDA. After extensive work on the DVD interface, I notice a mistake in the middle of the video and I need to make changes to the credits. Is there anyway I could have revised these mistakes without render the entire project over in Vegas?

2. After I revised the project and save the Mpeg clip under a different name, how can I replace the original video footage with the revised?

3. If I didn't set=up the project for surround sound, is there any other advantages of render the audio file as an AC3? (Instead of just rendering them together)

BTW When I created the original MPEG clip I saved the markers, so When I went to revise the video I placed this as the top track and lined it up with the original markers in Vegas. Also, I created region so that I remember exactly where I started/stopped.

Please help> The original and revised are the same length and use the same markers (at the same position). I want to be able to keep the same interface (including set thumbnails) but replace the original Mpeg with the Revised.

Thank you!
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #989

Rename the original file. When you open the project, it will ask where it is. Point it to the new file. That should be all you need to do.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #990
Inner Circle

I think your computer does take another ATA drive.

It almost certainly has 2 IDE controllers/channels (that goes hand in hand with 2 IDE ribbons). On each ribbon, you can have 2 devices. Your system should have room for a total of 4 devices- *2* hard drives, a CD-ROM, burner.

It should also physically have room for those four devices.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...