Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #226
RED Code Chef

What resolution is your screen at?

Both WMP and Quicktime play DV AVI files at lower resolution per
default. See the following thread for full information:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=31220

You did use DV for the compression, right?

Full screen playback is a simple as double-clicking the movie that is
playing inside Windows Media Player.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #227
RED Code Chef

I can't see how low light causes pixelation, it should cause
(excessive) video noise, not pixelation. Are you describing this
good enough? Perhaps you can put up a picture somewhere?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #228
Trustee

Linking menus

I am doing a project that calls for three menus on a DVD. My question is this, how can I set it up to automatically go to the next menu when the last one stops. I want to be able to go from 1 to 2 to 3 without having to click on the individual icons. Thanks. Bob
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #229
Sponsor: JET DV

What do you mean by "when the last one stops"?
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #230
Regular Crew

I think you are right Rob , I used the wrong term here. So , any effect that could reduce it besides quick blur which I used heavily so far.

Thanks

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #231
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 & DVDA 2- Best way to keep the novice customer from copying with ease?

I know anything can be copied but is there a way to keep it difficult for the novice computer user. OTHER than scratching it. I will only be producing one to ten dvds. Nothing spectacular just something to keep anyone from using a disk copy utility to replicate my work easily.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #232
Trustee

are you saying that you want the menus to become visible as part of the playback? if you want it to look like they are automatically clicked or something, you could just encode 'em as graphics inside the source dv avi, so that they would be encoded during the mpeg2 step... the dvd would be one long mpeg2 file.

if you have 3 seperate mpeg2 files, you can make the end of each file go to a menu, which is set up to autoplay after a pre-determined amount of time... that's how it works in dvdlab, anyway.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #233
Sponsor: JET DV

Nope. Even the hollywood DVDs WITH protection are easily copied. Best, instead, is to give them added value. Make the package so attractive they'd rather buy than copy.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #234
Regular Crew

To copy the hollywood DVD's you would have to research a little. I am only trying to stop someone puting the disk in a computer and just copying to another disk without any other changes.
A basic protection.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #235
Major Player

How do I buy stock footage?

I am looking to buy a small stock footage library to assist me in building my promo materials, leaders for training videos, etc. But I have a few questions for people that have used stock libraries before.

1. Which format is best? Should I buy mini-DV or DVD ? If DVD, is one format better going into Vegas than another? The library I am looking at comes in NTSC 480x720 (DV) or Quicktime 480x720 (DVD). Obviously DVD is easier to access and manage since I do not have to capture clips. But will quality be acceptable?

2. Having never used this type of material, I see that a lot of clips are only a few seconds each. Are these useful, or should I be watching running times of each clip when evaluating a library? My thought is with 10 seconds or more, it would be easy to use two different pieces of the same shot without it looking repetitive.

3. Does anyone have any partcular favorite libraries that are cheap? Or does anyone have an opinion (good or bad) about the Fuzion Films library that I am considering?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3866850898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #236
Regular Crew

DV format would be more Vegas-friendly.

Gary
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #237
Major Player

Rats. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Its a lot harder to search, manage and capture than on DVD. :(
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #238
Inner Circle

If it's only one to ten DVDs couldn't you just easily keep tabs on those people? Just a thought.

2- If not, you could:
A- Burn dual layer. Very expensive right now. People are slightly limited by this as the media is very expensive and they may never have burned dual layer before. However, this is still fairly easy to bypass.
B- Macrovision or other commercial copy protection. If you do a search you will bring up threads on this. I'm not sure it's economical for just 10 DVDs. It does make your DVD harder to copy.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #239
Major Player

I am not clear what you mean by 1-10 DVDs. If this is one project you want to protect, just custom burn each DVD with their name on it. Unless someone de-authors it, the original name will appear on any copies, thus making it easy to prove who allowed the copy to get out. If you are doing a bunch of projects at 1-10 DVDs each (like weddings or biographies) just let it go. All you will do is piss off your clients.

I charge $25 for each copy. If someone wants to go to Kinkos for $18 and get an inferior product (in many ways), they are welcome to do so.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #240
Old Boot

Advance Capture - Dimmed Delete Option?

I've been using AdvCap very heavily over the past week.

Once clips are captured I get the final confirmation screen showing thumbnails of the "captured" clips. Why when I select/highlight a thumbnail and right click is the option to now DELETE greyed out? I have several reasons why I wanted to delete one or two clips after capture and thinking further about a clip, having this as an option is great, but why is it greyed out? Obviously this Screen is providing me with this option to do exactly that - "Which ones do you now not want?" - to have a last option to review and delete if I so wish. Then why is it dimmed/greyed out?

Thoughts? Correct for you too? Am I doing something wrong .. very possible!

Best regards,

Grazie
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...