Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM   #271
Regular Crew

my problem is getting the letters or word to follow the exact path i want. Is there a way to set a path for them to follow?
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM   #272
Regular Crew

video cards

I'm picking out components for my new editing PC which will be running Vegas 5. The only component that I haven't decided on is the video card. A friend of mine is encouraging me to get the XFX geforce 6600. I can get a 5700 for a bout half the price. I am not a gamer. this PC will be dedicated to video editing and DVD burning. How important is the graphics card. I don't mind paying more if it will help me, otherwise I would rather spend the money elsewhere.
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM   #273
Wrangler

Say I'm creating a DVD out of several various MPG2 files however some of them have AC-3 audio and other PCM. From the sounds of it- it shouldn't have a problem.

Will it automatically try to re-compress whatever audio format which is NOT chosen as the default? How do you get around that- through the optimize screen?
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM   #274
Major Player

Vegas (or any other NLE) doesn't require a fancy video board. Those are for games that do heavy 3D rendering. NLEs won't make use of all that processing power. Many folks work with stock video cards or even on-board graphics in their PCs.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #275
Sponsor: JET DV

Assuming your are still on mainly default settings, it will attempt to compress everything to AC3. If you go to the optimize screen you can manually tell it which clips to use AC3 and which clips to use PCM.
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM   #276
Sponsor: JET DV

No easy way - just lots of keyframes
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM   #277
Tourist

Vegas (5.0)/DVD Architect & Rendering

After I render out my Vegas project to an MPEG2 file and proceed to buring it to a DVD with DVD Architect, DVD Architect goes through another "Rendering" and "Preparing" process before it actually starts the burn. Is my Vegas-generated MPEG2 file getting recompressed? Is there something I should be doing to avoid additional "rendering" etc in DVD Architect?
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM   #278
Regular Crew

A green check in the Optomize window indicates that there will be no recomression on a particular disc asset.

Menus and other incidentals will always have to be rendered.
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM   #279
Wrangler

Thanks Edward.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:32 AM   #280
Trustee

just for drill, be aware that there are various versions of pcm audio, such as signed vs. unsigned(?), if my terminology is right.

the issue is that not all pcm audio is legal for dvd use, because some pcm audio does not contain any identifying information that tells the dvd player what the specs of the pcm file are.

dvdlab pro warns about this in the help file, and it actually checks the pcm audio file when it's imported... if the pcm file does not have the identifying data as part of it's bitstream, dvdlab pro will change it to a dvd-legal pcm bitstream.

i think that you should go ahead and let dvda do the conversion to ac3, because it should de-mux/re-mux your mpg2 files anyway.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #281
Wrangler

We are referring to PCM and AC-3 file rendered in Vegas specifically for DVDA. They are always legal that way.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #282
New Boot

External Monitor Problem

Can anyone help with this? At first, whenever there was a transition, the image on the external would freeze, the transition would then appear in the Vegas preview until the transition ends. Then it would switch back to the external monitor until the next transition where the whole process was repeated. That was yesterday. Today the image on the monitor freezes at the first transition and just stays frozen. I am using 5.0. I tried using 4.0 and had no problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM   #283
Regular Crew

Go to Preferences>Video Device and make sure you you have 'Recompress edited frames' checked.

Gary
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:22 PM   #284
Major Player

True they would be legal however some dvd players may have a problem with auto switching.Just out of curiosity what would the advantage be to having some pcm and some ac3?
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM   #285
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Go to Preferences>Video Device and make sure you you have 'Recompress edited frames' checked.

Gary -->>>

Bingo! Thank you Gary.

Bob
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...