Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #331
Sponsor: JET DV

Scenalyzer Live has a rough meter while capturing but I'm not sure how far I'd trust it. You can download it and test as a demo (I think you might get a beep every now and then because it's a demo)

You really need to make sure you're feeding it the proper signal strength to begin with by using your camera audio controls.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #332
Inner Circle

Hi Kim,

Have you tried the Debugmode (makers of WinMorph) forums?

http://www.debugmode.com/userforums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=d269e86411757e08efb3ee7c52e0cba8

There's a good deal of material there that may (or may not) get you started and Satish (the developer) does seem to get back to people on tech problems.

Worth a try? Good luck.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM   #333
Inner Circle

Actually, this quote from Satish last year may just sum it up :

Winmorph does not work with Vegas 5. Sony is thinking of reviewing the plugin SDK for Vegas so i am waiting for that to happen.. Meanwhile please try with Vegas 4. Or if you got Wax plugin for Vegas 5 to work, you can use WinMorph from inside Wax as a plugin.
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #334
Major Player

Magic Bullet, Vegas, and CPU brand

Excuse me if this is in the wrong forum, but when using Magic Bullet Looks with Vegas, does it make a difference, in terms of rendering time, as to whether or not one uses a P4 or an AMD chip? I've read that MB is optimized for P4s, but does this mean that AMD chips will render MB slower then P4s? Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #335
Sponsor: JET DV

Magic Bullet is slow no matter what chip you put it on.
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #336
New Boot

Edward is being kind,, painfully slow is more like it.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #337
Inner Circle

It might actually be faster on AMD64 CPUs as they are generally faster at floating point calculations. Magic Bullet does its processing with 16-bit floating point calculations. This is just theoretical however, and the difference should maybe be around 50% which means Magic Bullet is still really slow. I also don't have an AMD64 CPU to play with so I have no way of verifying what I said was true.

For everything else video-related, it seems Pentium processors are generally faster than AMD64.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #338
Regular Crew

Hi Emre,

Well I finally got something out of it.

Ended up rendering it raw and converting it to mpg via tmpge.

27meg for a 2:46 file in 352x240.... not bad.

One question though , you suggested a bitrate of 500 and this is how I set tmpge to but it turns out to be 240 ??? I look back at my settings and it is indeed 500.

would it be 240 by pass (because I put 2) , doesn't add up but this is the only logical answer that comes to mind.

thanks for your help

Phil

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #339
Regular Crew

The fruit of my labor

Hi all,

Well here it is , thanks to hours of effort , invaluable help from numerous people here who so generously helped me the final version of my latest project is here.

Hopefully I am not posting in the wrong spot.

just click on the following link to download :

http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3R...I3KNOHE850R0K1

Of course if I post that here I am expecting some reviews and/or criticism. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT BE COMPLAICENT !!!! ( hope I wrote that right)

Bash into my wall as much as you like , I want to improve and learn and if I get hit by a feather I will not go far.

Keep in mind though that this is probably my 5th project , by far the most complex. I learn everything on my own , shooting , editing (that's with some help from you guys ;) etc...

Thanks a million

Phil

PS: the project is in french so ...

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #340
Regular Crew

It looks llike you have a lot of the main concepts well in hand.

The footage is a bit distracting because of the (evidently) poor low-light capabilities of the camera. It can probably be made to look better with tweaks such as using color curves and the median filter.

Overal, my main comment is.....Man, I have to get out more! :-)
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #341
Inner Circle

divX and windows media should both be able to produce a better compressed file than MPEG1/MPEG2 from TMPGENC. Windows Media is probably the best choice as it won't put spyware on your computer like divX does (you can google for removing GAIN, which is bundled with divX I think), is free, and provides arguably better encodes (depending on input material). You can download Windows Media Encoder for free.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #342
Inner Circle

assuming yoru betaSP deck has component output, u can get urself a decklink box and connec tit that way. another option is to go for a DAC2 component to firewire adapter.

I use this all the time for broadcast work..

If only vegas supported DVCPro 25 and 50... :(
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #343
Regular Crew

hello Peter, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The DAC 2 component to firewire adaptor sounds very interesting!

Can I attach my Beta sp player (or any other source) to it, and inport it into my pc via my firewire lead. And can you output the same way, through the firewire - into the DAC 2 component- to beta sp?

If you could perhaps give me some more details of your DAC2 component, model and make etc I'll see where I may be able to get one in the UK.

thank again

best wishes
Mark
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #344
Major Player

One thing I agree with Gary on is that you seem to have a grasp on the main concepts pretty good.

However, I'm wondering if the 'apparent low light' capabilities seems to be more operator error; next time try exposing for the highlights. It appears you opened up the iris to a level where you could 'see'; as if forcing the exposure. Also consider looking into seeing if your monitor is calibrated properly.

Enetertaining video!
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #345
New Boot

Couple projects i done in vegas

Here is couple projects idone in Vegas 5.
First is more-less playing in Vegas with filters, second was pure fun.
If you have any quetions, I will be happy to answer.

http://www.amkafilms.com/homework.mov
http://www.amkafilms.com/ads.mov
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...