Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #856
Regular Crew

This would make the whole point of the matrox card usless then, so is the advantage of faster rendering/capturing given by the card, worth sacrificing for vegas?
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #857
Sponsor: JET DV

To me, no. To some, yes. The increased workflow and greater stability means more to me than worrying about any rendering that must be done.

Hey Mark, you're only a couple hours away from me! We were in St. Louis last Sunday.
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #858
Major Player

I also had bought the RTX10 with Premiere 6.5, a couple years ago. A nice deal, but when Vegas 4 came out I switched. The RTX10 was very hardware demanding, and I felt limited to the Matrox effects for Premiere regarding the realtime usage.
Vegas also offers realtime previewing which works very fine with. And the RTX10 doesn't have the fast MPEG2 rendering the RTX100 offers, so for rendering there was no reason the prefer the RTX10/Premiere combo. I have had both systems on my pc for more than a year. But after buying Vegas I never touched Premiere again. At the moment, Premiere and the Matrox card are removed from my system.
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #859
Regular Crew

If i switched to vegas should I remove the card, orlet it be to use it for anolog stuff?
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #860
Inner Circle

i have a couple of render files which are a perfect example, but i think that the next time i see this, ill do a camtasia capture and get it straight off the timeline..
might be the best way to get this out to sony..

if we cant reproduce it, we can at least show it..
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #861
Slash Rules!

Vegas 4 doesn't like Aiff files, help me convert pwease.

So I got some music tracks from a friend, and I find out they're Aiff files, which apparently Vegas 4 can't read (when I try to import them into a project from the hard drive, I get a message about "problem importing blah blah, files are corrupt or of an unrecognized format". Now, I played one of these files, via the QT player, so I know they're okay.

I found some trial software to convert Aif to a variety of formats, so I tried to convert these files to MP3 using it, and when I played the converted, files, it was just noise, like static, all the way through. Apparently I don't know what I'm doing. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #862
Major Player

You can keep the card inside for analog capturing. I remember a capture utility from Matrox you can use for that, that I think will work without having to start up Premiere. Check it out for yourself.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #863
Inner Circle

Quicktime Pro can easily convert, but it would cost a small amount of money. RAD Video Tools (shareware; Bink and Smacker) might also be able to do it.

I don't know if they fixed Vegas working with variable bit-rate mp3... personally I'd stick with wav. Constant bitrate mp3 should also work.

Vegas should also be able to import and convert... don't know what's happening there.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #864
Regular Crew

The free Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - can do this.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #865

According to Sony's website, Vegas DOES support .AIF files.

It is possible that it uses Quicktime to open those files. Have you installed ALL of QT? (Including the authoring components - requires a "custom" install).
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #866

Personally, for analog captures I still prefer to capture via firewire and use a camera/convertor/deck to do the analog to digital conversion.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #867
Regular Crew

DV50 setting?

Can anyone tell me if Vegas has a setting for DV50 or 1:1 rendering? - Thanks, Jeff
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #868
Inner Circle

You could render uncompressed (which is 1:1 compression?).

I don't think Vegas has a DVCPRO50 codec or 50mbps codec, but I could be wrong.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #869
Slash Rules!

Yeah, I would think it would support that format, but every time I tried to import the files, it gave me the weird message.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #870

If the files are truly NOT corrupt, I would check with tech support about it, then. They may want to see one of the files.

You could also e-mail one to me and I'd try it on my system.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...