DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/6105-vegas-video-discussions-2003-a.html)

Tor Salomonsen June 23rd, 2003 07:29 AM

About deleting time, please read up on Ripple Edit. I'm not sure I fully understand it myself. But I know the answer is there.

Alex Knappenberger June 23rd, 2003 08:26 AM

You can also right click the audio track and "apply non-realtime effects events" (or something like that) and you can do a whole bunch of stuff to the audio.

Edward Troxel June 23rd, 2003 08:40 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Wont that change the "lenght" that the audio plays. Can't you change the pitch without altering the length of the clip's audio? -->>>

Yes, CTRL-Drag changes the length of the event. The original post mentioned wanting it to play faster.

And, yes, you can also change the pitch without changing the length. There are many options related to this when right-clicking the audio clip and choosing Properties.

Peter Jefferson June 23rd, 2003 10:48 AM

this is where sonic foundry shine...

audio...

the best thing about it is that u can open the audio in soundforge for refined audio work in total sync to the video...

Dany Nativel June 23rd, 2003 11:08 AM

Are you using Type 1 or Type 2 for the AVI file ?

I'm not sure if there is any limitation for one of it.

Dany

Peter Moore June 23rd, 2003 12:06 PM

I don't think Premier can specify Type 1 or Type 2.

The odd thing, again, is that the files are fine when viewed by Premier or Media Player, but Vegas won't read anything beyond 4 GB, and the reason that I know this is that the file is about 5 GB and the part that cuts off is about 4/5 of the way through.

I guess I'll just have to split the files up.

Dany Nativel June 23rd, 2003 12:37 PM

If you use ScenAnalyzer you can capture (and also export) but also specify Type 1 or Type 2 file (+ a lot of additionnal features).

But in your case it looks like the problem is elsewhere.

Dany

Joe Carney June 23rd, 2003 01:26 PM

The academic version is the same as the commercial version.

There is no academic version, only academic pricing.

There are no restrictions on what you can do with it.

When you register, you are entitled to the same support from what I've heard.

Journeyed.com has Vegas 4 with DVD Architec for
269.00. Vegas without DVD architect for 149.

With DVD Architec you get AC3 5.1 encoding capabilities.

check around for the best prices.

Vince Denali June 23rd, 2003 02:30 PM

which MPEG encoder in Vegas

Hi,

Which MPEG encoder is in Vegas 4.0 ? Did Sonic Foundry make their own?

Brian M. Dickman June 23rd, 2003 03:01 PM

Vegas 3 and 4 use the Main Concept mpeg encoder.

Robert Poulton June 23rd, 2003 03:12 PM

I have to say that that encoder rocks. I took my friends short and by the time I was done with the dvd the short was in its 5th generation. I was thinking OH Crap it will look horrible. But WOW was all I could say. I did however render out the whole film into stills. That did take sometime but I think it saved it in the long run. Also DVD creation couldn't be more fun and challenging with architect. Rock ON VEGAS+DVD!

gota love it.

Rob:D

Peter Koller June 23rd, 2003 03:41 PM

Yep, I agree. I am currently doing a project with lots of 13gb files, no troubles at all.

Joe Carney June 23rd, 2003 04:06 PM

Also uncheck use the MS Codec option. that way you only use the SoFo codec, which is what you want for best quality.

Robert Poulton June 23rd, 2003 04:15 PM

Still frame render in Vegas 4

You know it is funny. I cannot for the life of me find the damn option to render out one single frame into a targa. Any help or workaround will be great.

Edward Troxel June 23rd, 2003 05:03 PM

That's because there isn't one. However, you CAN capture a single frame to PNG or JPG.

Look at the newsletters at http://www.jetdv.com/tts. One of the issues deals specifically with capturing snapshots from video frames. If you want to use the help file, search for "snapshot".

Andrew Petrie June 23rd, 2003 05:15 PM

Alex, I think by default it lists microsoft DV in the capture pull-down. Because even with 'ignore 3rd party codecs' checked and the MS codec unchecked, it's still there for me.

If someone can prove me wrong, please let me know asap.

Robert Poulton June 23rd, 2003 06:10 PM

thx for the info. To bad it's not as easy as Premiere. Also is there a way to export to image sequence?

Dennis Adams June 23rd, 2003 08:40 PM

Bruce:

Actually, the other way around. Use a widescreen project and use "match output aspect" instead of using the 16:9 pan/crop preset. Why? Because anamorphic widescreen DV and anamorphic widescreen DVD are the same 720x480 pixels, and very slightly wider than 16:9 (704x480 would be true 16:9). The 16:9 preset is exact 16:9, which is why you got the black bars.

///d@
Sonic Foundry, Inc.

Dan Measel June 23rd, 2003 08:43 PM

Thanks again everyone. This is a great help. Sorry to belabor the point but just so I am completely sure I understand about the prerendering. Even with a complex sequence of clips with track motion, multiple layers and transitions if I prerender to avi and then import that back into a new vegas project I can expect little to no loss in quality?

Dennis Adams June 23rd, 2003 08:49 PM

This has been confirmed as a bug reading >4G AVI format files created from Adobe products (and possibly elsewhere). It will be fixed in the forthcoming 4.0d update.
///d@
Sonic Foundry, Inc.

Dennis Adams June 23rd, 2003 08:55 PM

Alex:

1) DV capture doesn't use a codec, it's a data transfer. "Microsoft VCR or Camera" (or whatever) is the generic name for "DV device".

2) The default Vegas settings are to use the SF Vegas DV codec. As the others pointed out, make sure "Ignore 3rd party codecs" is ON and "Use Microsoft DV codec" is OFF. These are the defaults.

You should be good to go.

///d@

Dennis Adams June 23rd, 2003 09:03 PM

There is a script to export still image sequences, to JPG or PNG. This script is called RenderImageSequence.js and is available for download from here.
///d@

Robert Poulton June 23rd, 2003 09:36 PM

thx. Do you know why they don't deal with any other format other than .png or .jpg?

Edward Troxel June 23rd, 2003 10:17 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Measel : Even with a complex sequence of clips with track motion, multiple layers and transitions if I prerender to avi and then import that back into a new vegas project I can expect little to no loss in quality? -->>>

Correct.

jonniesiri June 24th, 2003 08:52 AM

Vegas 4 VCD Burning questions!

I'm trying to burn a complete project to VCD in Vegas 4, but after the first tried, the VCD has no audio. I've 4 video tracks and 5 audio tracks on the timeline, but why it didn't render the audio. I don't understand it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tor Salomonsen June 24th, 2003 10:23 AM

Vegas will read most still image formats you can throw at it. And you can easily change format once you've captured your frame (in an image editor).
I've seen a perfectly reasonable explaination from (I think) one of SoFo's Vegas team, but it's been several months, and I can't remember what it was, nor in what context it came up.

Tor Salomonsen June 24th, 2003 10:45 AM

I've checked a little: .png is the best. In the words of SonicEPM: .png will result in a high quality still, with alpha channel.

Jpg is good for some things because it has a trade-off between size and quality. Tiff may be good for archiving, but Vegas will have to use Quicktime to decode it. And it does not have alpha channel in any way practical. Targa wasn't metioned in the little search I did.

Robert Poulton June 24th, 2003 03:02 PM

thx for the info. Yah I just don't understand why they wouldn't make it easy to export still frames and save to all the formats out there. It is my only complaint with vegas. Since most of my other apps will allow for me to do everything I want.

Nancy Hussey June 24th, 2003 03:16 PM

captured .jpg size in V V 3

Can anyone please tell me where to change the size? 320x240 seems to be the default, and i can't find my way around to change it to 640x480. Thanks!

Hey Tom, sorry i lost touch.. hope y'all are doing well.. hi to Kelly:)

Nancy

Edward Troxel June 24th, 2003 04:56 PM

Right-click the preview screen and pick "Display at project size"

Now take the snapshot.

Dan Measel June 24th, 2003 07:50 PM

Cool. I'll give it a try.

Nancy Hussey June 25th, 2003 07:10 AM

Thank you so much, Edward..

I'm still having trouble getting clear frame grabs
(surfing pics.. like this one, for example)

http://www.follysurfcam.com/june03rc/redlb.jpg

even tho i use the movie mode.... I finally got a nice tripod, am using GL-2 & both Studio 7 & V V 3... must be ME!
thx
nancy

Eric Richmond June 25th, 2003 08:14 AM

explain what you want in more detail, and I'll try and write a script to do it for you

Edward Troxel June 25th, 2003 10:28 AM

Yes, getting GOOD snapshots is really a multi step process. It's MUCH easier in Vegas 4 as there are scripts available to do it all for you.

Here are the basics:

1. Right-click the preview to choose "Display at Project Size" will get you the full size.
2. Change "Preview" to "Best" on the preview screen.
3. Under File-Properties, change the project type to "Progressive" (or non-interlaced)

In Vegas 3, I usually simply did the first two and then de-interlaced in PhotoShop.

Look at the newsletters at http://www.jetdv.com/tts to find more information about snapshots (issue #5 to be precise).

Robert Poulton June 25th, 2003 11:37 AM

oh. All I was questioning is why they didn't allow us to export into still frames with the option of using any format. I mainly use targa and tiff for the 3d and other video work. So I just thought it was akward for them not to offer these and other formats as options. No biggie. png should do fine. Anything is better than jpg.

Nancy Hussey June 25th, 2003 03:28 PM

hey thanks for the info, edward.. am reading that now..
my nephew works for sonic foundry & gave me vv3, think its time to beg for 4! it looks easy on 4...
nancy

ps. its just a good thing that surfers aren't too picky about their shots!

Adam Lawrence June 26th, 2003 07:43 PM

vegas video 4

this question was originally intended for bill ravens in another post, yet if anyone else know then horay!

im working in vegas video 4 to take NTSC down to PAL...I
rendered as a PAL DV template and got very interpolated
results....Is there another method in doing this? or is there a certain method i shoudl take before output?

Don Donatello June 27th, 2003 02:45 PM

you might try -
in your project properties ( vegas - file - properties) change the deinterlace method to BLEND .. then render out to PAL - should be little smoother

Josh Bass June 27th, 2003 02:56 PM

Yarrrrgh! Stupid Vegas 4 pan and crop tool!

Okay, let's say I want to size the video to make a box that fills half the screen. I want to keep it the entire 4:3 frame. When I use the Vegas 4 pan and crop tool to do this, for some reason, if I try to move the box around, it starts to get cut off, and disappear. I can only keep it on one side of the screen, instead of being able to move it where I want. When I try to go to the other side, it starts to crop until it disappears. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to move it anywhere. I've tried playing with the "lock aspect ratio", "move freely", and "size about center" buttons, and still it does this. I can't use the 3d plugin pac because I recently found out that it acts on both fields of video and once, creating a "frame mode" look, and this footage is 60i and needs to remain so.

Don Donatello June 27th, 2003 03:29 PM

you might try setting your shutter speed to 1/500 or faster for good still photo's but it might be too much for video use ?? perhaps you can find a happy medium ( shuttter speed) somwhere that works good for video and stills