V1 25p issues (combined threads) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 25p issues (combined threads)

The "oil paint" effect noticed by Simon Wyndam is STILL present.

As it stands 25p is utterly useless it just doesn't look like video that you've ever seen before. I cannot imagine any circumstance that this video quality would be deemed acceptable. It certainly isn't HD by any reasonable measure.

I hope it is just a defective unit. I have been through the menus turned on/off picture profiles, made changes to sharpening, gain (to see if noise filter was kicking in) and just about everything else. Its almost as though skin detail smoothing is being applied to the whole image in 25Pscan mode.

I don't think a camera should leave the factory performing like this...it's a joke.

*GUTTED*

TT
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Tony,

Could you please post some .m2t samples on rapidshare for instance to illustrate your opinion ?

Thanks,

Kristin
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Trustee

Uh, oh! I saw the 24P images and figured that 30P would be even better (since I don't like 24P very much). I ordered the V1 specifically for 30P. I wonder if it is an issue for the european version? I can't imagine they would advertise 24P, 25P, 30P, 50i, and 60i (25/50 for european models and 30/60 for U.S.) so specifically without them all working. I mean, have you seen the V1 site? "Progressive" is one of the main tab sections!
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

contradictory reports on 25p

Strange, really... I can see quite opposite opinion on the 25p sharpness from the first V1E owners in the UK. Where is the truth? Or, can it be THAT subjective?
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't think that is necessary. Just look at Simon Wyndham's post for pictures of the problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77101

It's exactly the same as he found. Sony were supposed to be aware of this problem and have fixed it. But no.

Right now I'd take CF25 from a Z1 over 25P from the V1e.

I'll be calling the dealer first thing Monday. Watch this space.

TT
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes Marcus, I think so... Simon's pictures are made with a pre-production model. Opinions are very subjective... I think it's safer to watch some real raw samples taken by the camera, at least to see if the cameraman knows how to operate a camera... For instance I've seen a lot of low-light samples taken with other cameras where it was obvious the guy behind wasn't a pro. Just some point and shoot stuf... All these handheld things... So, wait and see...
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Strange, really... I can see quite oposite opinion on the 25p sharpness from the first V1E owners in the UK. Where is the truth? Or, can it be THAT subjective?
No Piotr, it really isn't THAT subjective. Its horrid and not fit for purpose.

The TRUTH is what as I've described it. If you have a problem with my truth just skip my posts in the future.

BTW, I am one of the first UK owners many since the units only shipped Friday many won't receive their units until Monday.

I am hoping this is a rogue unit or needs an updated firmware.

TT hacked off.
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
can you post a grab?
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart
Yes Marcus, I think so... Simon's pictures are made with a pre-production model. Opinions are very subjective... I think it's safer to watch some real raw samples taken by the camera, at least to see if the cameraman knows how to operate a camera... For instance I've seen a lot of low-light samples taken with other cameras where it was obvious the guy behind wasn't a pro. Just some point and shoot stuf... All these handheld things... So, wait and see...
Douglas, Simon.

I see what you mean!

Kristin, I am feeling particularly hacked off right now but was going to post a couple of screen captures to show the problem. Your post has just destroyed any enthusiasm I had left for that task. I know how to operate a camera thank you. I know how to analyse an image, it's my job.
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:

The TRUTH is what as I've described it. If you have a problem with my truth just skip my posts in the future.

BTW, I am one of the first UK owners many since the units only shipped Friday many won't receive their units until Monday.

I am hoping this is a rogue unit or needs an updated firmware.

TT hacked off.
Tony, I realize you're one of the first V1E owners in the UK, as I've also ordered mine with one of the retailers there and am aware the first stock arrived last Friday. Is it possible that you e-mail me with the information where exactly your unit was purchased. Because you see, if the problem is still present in SOME units and gone (fixed) with others, this information could save me hair-pulling should I happen to receive a machine like yours.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Trustee

Tony, I feel your pain and share your concern. Try not to get too mad as that stress is bad for your brain. I remember now the shots from the pre-production model and I will agree that would be completely unacceptable. I now also seem to remember that it was only an issue on the pre-production European version. I just can't imagine what could cause such a thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a still. Can you take stills from the V1 and put them on a memory stick? That might make the task easier so you don't have to cable up the camera and run a capture utility. I know how hard it is to put effort into something that seems hopeless, but I would appreciate knowing what to look for when my camera gets in.
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I am feeling particularly hacked off right now but was going to post a couple of screen captures to show the problem. Your post has just destroyed any enthusiasm I had left for that task. I know how to operate a camera thank you. I know how to analyse an image, it's my job.
Let's please try to maintain the spirit of the proceedings here and keep our emotions in check when posting. Are you willing to post some images or not. I have plenty of server space and bandwidth available for for anyone who is interested in sharing their experiences for the benefit of their fellows. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #13
Trustee

I have been assured that the unit I had was defective, and that the production models do not have the problem I saw.

I have been offered the chance to try out one of these new 'fixed' cameras, so I shall see.

Tony, please post some shots if you can. It would go a long way to helping the situation. Particularly take some shots of objects that have lots of fine detail, and take the shots in both the interlaced, and progressive modes for comparison.
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Chris

The reason I am not going to post clips or grabs because I am mindful of the treatment meted out to Simon Wyndham when he did so. As I said earlier the problem is "exactly" the same as shown in his grabs. I am also mindful of the "autofocus" thread from the XH-A1 forum where you correctly pointed out that a technical problem is best sorted by dealer or service centre. You will get a definitive answer when I have spoken to my dealer tomorrow and determined whether any more units are affected failing that when I have spoken to Sony.

Everything else about the camera is excellent. So, I will repeat what I said in my first post, I hope this is just a defective unit.

Cheers
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
I have been assured that the unit I had was defective, and that the production models do not have the problem I saw.

I have been offered the chance to try out one of these new 'fixed' cameras, so I shall see.

Tony, please post some shots if you can. It would go a long way to helping the situation. Particularly take some shots of objects that have lots of fine detail, and take the shots in both the interlaced, and progressive modes for comparison.
Okay, okay I submit.

Exported from FCP as 1440x1080 BMP resized in GIMPshop to 1920x1080.

I have done nothing else to the files.

Detail is washed from the grass and destroyed around the aerials. Is that or is that not the "oil paint" effect you saw Simon???

Sorry it is such a mundane image but it absolutely shows the problem.

TT

Cut out a section from each picture.
Attached Thumbnails
V1 25p issues (combined threads)-section_int.jpg   V1 25p issues (combined threads)-section_prog.jpg  

Last edited by Tony Tremble; December 10th, 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7