V1 25p issues (combined threads) - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #91
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
I think we can safely conclude it's more than a individual unit problem - the review unit posted by Simon had it, this unit and Tony's dealer's other units. To me that makes a "batch" problem as this point. Other V1e's may be trouble free and hopefully more reports and Sony will chime in (and 30p on US units can be tested).

I tend to think these issues are educational in learning how imagers/DSP etc. work despite the short term pain for those affected.
I thought it was only 2-3 units. Besides, I thought Simon's was a prototype.

heath
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #92
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I thought it was only 2-3 units. Besides, I thought Simon's was a prototype.

heath
Perhaps I misunderstood Tony - I thought his dealer confirmed all units the dealer had were affected.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #93
MPS Digital Studios

Tony, can you confirm?

heath
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing
Glad to see Sony's taking you guys seriously.
I called the UK retailer today who was about sending my order. I told them about the issue - they were not aware yet. After checking this thread they offered me not to proceed with the order and refund my money.
Moreover they immediately called Sony UK who were aware and said they were working on the solution and they will fix all the cameras with this problem either with a firmware update on Memory Sick (?) or by replacing it with no further cost to the costomer. Well, this is what the retailer guy said. I have not spoken with Sony UK myself.
Hope this is in line with what Tony has got from Sony.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #95
Major Player

Memory Stick of course...
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
I called the UK retailer today who was about sending my order. I told them about the issue - they were not aware yet. After checking this thread they offered me not to proceed with the order and refund my money.
Moreover they immediately called Sony UK who were aware and said they were working on the solution and they will fix all the cameras with this problem either with a firmware update on Memory Sick (?) or by replacing it with no further cost to the costomer. Well, this is what the retailer guy said. I have not spoken with Sony UK myself.
Hope this is in line with what Tony has got from Sony.
Zsolt, that is _exactly_ what I was told. It appears the issue is wider than a few units. No one other than Sony know the full extent of the problem. But at least now they are aware of the problem and are working hard on a fix.

I am soooo much happier now. 'cause this camera kicks a$$.

Anyway, just going to update the radipshare thread with another link to some 50i v 25p comparison shots. Full res shots of foliage and red brick houses and slate roofs.

Keep smiling

TT
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #97
Rocket Rentals

The first time I tried to capture in FCP from the V1 I had what I thought were regular "drop outs," or breaks running right through the footage...until I opened up the LCD and saw it playing back fine in camera. It sounds like the same MPEG "lost in translation" happening on the mac.

Rewinding didn't help, but turning the camera off and on again did. The footage I recorded was just after some other test material on the tape (also HDV, but I didn't record it) - I hit capture now whilst still on this previous material - which FCP understood fine - there was then a break on the tape which then crossed over into my test material which went all to poo. After I tended to the issue it never came back.

Can't do any more tests as we only had the camera in our hands for a short period of time.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Redmond
The first time I tried to capture in FCP from the V1 I had what I thought were regular "drop outs," or breaks running right through the footage...until I opened up the LCD and saw it playing back fine in camera. It sounds like the same MPEG "lost in translation" happening on the mac.

Rewinding didn't help, but turning the camera off and on again did. The footage I recorded was just after some other test material on the tape (also HDV, but I didn't record it) - I hit capture now whilst still on this previous material - which FCP understood fine - there was then a break on the tape which then crossed over into my test material which went all to poo. After I tended to the issue it never came back.

Can't do any more tests as we only had the camera in our hands for a short period of time.
It's an issue that is known about. Try using a different firewire driver in the Audio/Video Setting menu. I had the same problem and gave up trying to get it to work again and use AIC as a workaround.

Capture using AIC and everything will be fine. The drop-out occurs at the start of a new GOP. We'll require Apple to update FCP before we can batch capture.

TT
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #99
Rocket Rentals

Also just to double check with you Tony -
When feeding straight from camera into a monitor you say it looks fine.
When capturing into final cut looks not so fine

But what about playing back off tape straight to a monitor?
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #100
MPS Digital Studios

I've had no problems capturing 24p (packaged in a 60i stream) footage from the V1u with Final Cut Pro v. 5.1.2, so I wonder what's happening.

heath
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Redmond
Also just to double check with you Tony -
When feeding straight from camera into a monitor you say it looks fine.
When capturing into final cut looks not so fine

But what about playing back off tape straight to a monitor?
As things have got clearer it appears I missed the 25p issues during the demo I had. I fed my V1's component input into my Dell monitor and can confirm live output and tape are affected equally badly. As soon as you select 25PScan the damage is done.

If you want 25P at the moment the only was is to use the time honoured method of using a high quality de-interlacer on 50i captures. :)

TT
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I've had no problems capturing 24p (packaged in a 60i stream) footage from the V1u with Final Cut Pro v. 5.1.2, so I wonder what's happening.

heath
Answers on a postcard, please!
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #103
Rocket Rentals

Try this Tony - something I found odd on live monitoring with the V1

About an arms length away from the lens I held out one of my fingers horizontally. Very slowly I waggled my finger up and down in the vertical.

Do the same and watch the edges of your finger.
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #104
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
Answers on a postcard, please!
I'm a little confused with your reply here.

heath
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #105
Regular Crew

We no longer have access to a camera. Zane leaves tomorrow for Takuu Island and you can keep up to date with the shoot via www.takuufilm.blogspot.com

Good luck Tony with Sony UK and we'll be interested on what results are found in the US.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7