Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #331
New Boot

Different btw Mpeg Decoder in Premiere setting?

Hello,

I am a newbie in the editing field...
I use the Premiere 6.5 with the 1.3 beta MPEG decoder which i download from adobe website.

and the end-result of the export timeline using Adobe MPEG Encoder is not as good as i think.
First, the video is not smooth... i see a lot of artifacts or jagging from the text when it move quickly... and the color of the video seem to be wash-out compare with the original clips.
What is the best setting for the premiere to export the timeline, i found out that you can set the MPEG stream in Advanced mode and modify the setting...

At the basic setting - what is different between:-
DVD NTSC 4x3 High Bitrate and
DVD NTSC 4x3 Medium Bitrate

I understand the average bitrate is higher... highrate is set average in 6000kbps and max at 8000kbps... while the medium is set at 4200 kbps and max at 6000kbps... but does this solve my problem on the smooth picture and color accurate?

Also i see both highrate and mediumrate is set the video encoder quality to 21... should i increase it to max 50 in order to get better quality?

Under the Advanced MPEG Settings... i see a lot of other function such as video settings, advanced video settings, audio settings and multiplexer settings... What is the best setting to get the best out of adobe premiere???

Edmond

P.S. After i make the export, adobe create 2 files one M2V file and one Wave file. I try to use the WinDVD to see the end-result but the WinDVD did not reconize that 2 files are one video clips... so they can only show the video into 2 part... first only video and second part only sound... How can i correct the setting inside the WinDVD? Seem to have a lot of question, once again, thanks for all yours input...
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:08 AM   #332
Wrangler

Edmond,

Jagging and aritfacts are mainly caused when the field order is wrong or when the moving title has not been de-interlaced, or you are using VBR.

To get good results, the bit rate needs to be about 7mbps (7000Kbps), on a constant bit rate (CBR). You might need to choose custom settings. However using the DVD NTSC 4x3 High Bitrate should give good results.

The reason why you are only able to preview the video stream or the audio stream in WinDVD is because they are seperate. The reason for them being separate is because most DVD authoring programs need them to be like that. If you wish to view them both in WinDVD then they need to be multiplexed (use the setting in the multiplex tab to do this).

Hope this helps,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #333
Regular Crew

Ed, I'm using DV500 driver v4.5 as well.

I actually reinstalled Premiere and the DV500 driver which took a while to do... but there was no change!

I have since done more research and found out that graphic levels and video levels have to be considered when using graphics/stills in video.

You see, the PSD file (or any scanned photo in fact) may give a digital level of anywhere between 0 and 255, whereas PAL video will only accept 16 to 235. 16 being 0 IRE and 235 being 100 IRE, anything above or below that may be a problem as happened with me.

And so as soon as I altered the "white" output level of the PSD file or any of my photos from 255 to 235 (actually I found 225 to be the optimal level for pure white), it looked great when using the Pinnacle codec... so this may mean a couple of things...

1, The MS DV codec must alter the levels itself on export (as it didn't have this problem).
2, My version of Premiere (v6.01/02) and the Pinnacle codec (v4.5a) must leave the levels alone (which can be good or bad... depending on how you look at it).
3, Premiere v6.5 may alter the levels so they do not peak at 255, as it looked fine on your system.

So I'm glad I found out what the cause was...

I guess it now adds a step for me when integrating photos/stills into my videos, but at least it is done the right way.

Cheers,
Jack
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #334
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 ?

I was looking online at Adobe site when I say that Premiere Pro is now version 1.5. Shocked to see that they added some nice new features that I think now place them in the same league as FCP and have the same HD and 24p that are featured in Vegas

You can find the list here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...miere_nfhs.pdf

If anyone has this product and care to comment on the new features please do so. I think a lot of us would be curious about some of the 24p and HD functionality. Of course as well as its performance and stability.
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #335
Wrangler

Great link Anthony!!! Well spotted.

We'll have to wait till the end of May for its release. This could be good.

Cheers,

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #336
New Boot

Thanks Ed,

I try both the DVD NTSC Highbit setting and even change the quality to 50 and bitrate to 8 avg and 9 max. but in my computer... the actual result is the same as the medium NTSC bitrate set at 4.2 avg and 6 max. Today i will burn both clips into a DVD-R using Sonic My DVD 5.0 and see it in my HT room... i hope with 110-inch projector... i can see the different...

Yesterday i found out the timeline can export as movie. and the file will be save as "avi". How is the quality different between the "avi" and the "mv2" files? Which one is better?

Beside Premiere MPEG encoder... is there any other software can do the job...

Edmond
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #337
New Boot

DVCAM vs DV in Adobe Premiere?

Dear all,

I am wondering how good is the footage when i shoot in DVCAM compare with the DV format when both import into Adobe Premiere 6.5 for editing... and MPEG encoding to DVD-R.

By looking at the tape result from both formats through a 29 inches TV... the DVCAM have better color saturation... and hue... and i am not sure will the premiere capture the differents? Cos... i been talking with one guy who is working for the distributor of pinnacle in Vietnam... and he told me that the different is so subtle that you don't even see it... That's why he don't recommend to shoot in DVCAM over DV format...

Any input is welcome... cos i need to purchase a camcorder really soon... and i will choose the PD-170 mainly because of the DVCAM function...

Edmond
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #338
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

We seem to have a wave of folks asking about DVCAM this week. Adam Wilt's site features a good summary.

Bottom line: any differences you see in the footage between DVCAM and DV are going to be due to differences in the cameras used and/or differences in exposure.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #339
Wrangler

Glad you found a work around Jack.

Its still extremely strange why it does that?

Thanks,

Ed

Old April 20th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #340
Major Player

Project Trimmer in Pro 1.5?

Does anyone know if the project trimmer returns to Premiere in the 1.5 release?

The materials at Adobe don't make this clear and I haven't seen anything in the various forums about it.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #341
Wrangler

Does this describe what you're after?

Quote:
Project Manager—Use this powerful tool to quickly remove unused material from your project and to consolidate
your project’s media into one location for easy archiving. To save time and storage space, perform all
editing offline in low-resolution video, and use the Project Manager to save a new project containing only the
content you actually use. Then recapture only that more compact final project in high resolution.
Check this document out:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...miere_nfhs.pdf

Thanks,

Ed

Old April 20th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #342
Major Player

Thanks Ed. The Highlights document was not enough, but armed with the notion that the Project "Manager" was the tool, I dug deeper and found that project trimming is part of Project Manager.
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #343
Regular Crew

Color Correction in Premiere 6.5

The color correction opportunities in 6.5 appear to be rather limited. I can't find a hue / saturation tool for example. I suppose I could upgrade to Premiere Pro, but I'm annoyed at having to use XP ( I use Win2K). I could switch to an entirely new editor, and I've been reading the various discussions about them (so I don't need any suggestions on that regard, thanks).

A google search of plug ins for 6.5 doesn't yield anything obvious. Any ideas?
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #344
Trustee

Roger,

On your Premiere 6.5 disk in extras there should be a trial version of Vixen under "extras". I liked it so much for what you discribed and tweaking white balance that I had to buy a license for it. Right now it is $50.00 off at http://www.xentrik.co.uk/ for $149.00. Although the upgrade to Premiere PRO is $199.00 for 6.5 owners I tried the trail and did not like it. 6.5 with Vixen does everything I need except quality "slow mo".

Good luck...

Mark
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #345
Regular Crew

I tried that, but the demo mode won't work for some reason or other. It tries to contact "in sync" for a registration code but it never goes through. blah.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite