Disney to go with Blu-Ray - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 18th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Hitachi Blu-ray AVCHD cameras scheduled for 07

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6380066.html

I can't wait for the first prototype.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #47
Tourist

Burning NLE HD using Sony Blu-Ray DVD burner?

I've been trying, with no luck, to burn 1920x1080 HD files to the Sony blu-ray burner using their bundled cyberlink power-producer software (Mpeg or avi files made from Premiere Pro 2, using mainconcept pro HD for mpeg attempts). Using a PS3 as the player.. it works great with commercial blu-ray titles. I upgraded to the latest power-producer 4 software.. PP4 imports the files OK and then appears to burn OK, and I can see the the m2ts file when exploring the disk (so burning is at least partially working), but it will not play on the PS3... the PS3 does recognize the file & it's title, but gives an unsupportable format error. Cyberlink's support info for burning any type of files other than HDV camcorder imports is next to non-existent.. just says it accepts mpeg and avi files for burning. I've tried many mpeg file formats from Premiere and also tried hdv format.. I suspect the problem has something to do with making the right codec/mux/rate choices for the avi or mpeg file creation in premiere, but haven't found the secret.

Has anyone had any luck finding a reliable workflow for getting true HD exports from Premiere burnt to blu-ray using the Sony burner?
Doug Rinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #48
New Boot

Doug - Most likely PP4 is reencoding your Premiere Pro assets to MPEG2-TS. So the variable of whether you are using .avi's, mpeg-2, or HDV MainConcept isn't really the issue. I've tried burning files in PP4 and have been able to confirm compatibility with a Sony set-top Blu-ray player but haven't tried it in the PS3 yet. I might get access to one this week.

The bad part about the MPEG2-TS files that PP4 creates is that when viewed on a high-definition TV it shows huge ugly digital compression artifacts. I don't see these artifacts though when viewing on a computer monitor. Why is there that difference in picture quality?

BTW, The one iffy variable that is specific to my burning scenario is the use of Panasonic 2x discs.

~Eugene
www.filmtransfer.com
eugene@filmtransfer.com
Eugene Gekhter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #49
Major Player

Update on Blu-Ray BD-RE playability

Well, I have a Sony BDP-S1 player and it does a beautiful job on purchased BD-ROMs, but playability of my own BD-RE discs will have to await the firmware update in early 2007.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...=163&mdl=BDPS1

Although I have never gotten confirmation anywhere, I believe the "un-playability" of user content all stems from a late Spring'06 decision for user-created content to be written to folder BDAV instead of rights-management endowed BDMV folders that Hollywood discs use. Thus Cyberlink and other recent software is doing it exactly as the Blu-Ray Association demands. It is the players that need updating.

As an aside, the above post complained that the PowerProducerForBluRay crashed when presented with .m2t (transport stream) files. The solution is to return them to "elementary streams" with ReMux_TS from this helpful spot. These already encoded files then went onto Blu-Ray at disc speed (48 minutes for a 99 minute project).

http://www.yamabe.org/softbody.html

Last edited by Don Blish; December 12th, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #50
Major Player

Blue-ray Burner question

I have a Canon XH-A1 and I have a Sony PS 3 at home that plays Blue-Ray disks. Although my clients still only need SD files and my local stations only accept SD, I am still curious about taking my HD Skills to the next level.

Since my A1 shoots HD, I am thinking about purchasing a Blue-ray burner to start to learn that side of things (I have the HDV for web down just fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions on which burner is the best? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #51
Major Player

HDV to BluRay Experience

Its a bit early yet......

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75505
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Saving HVX footage to blue ray or HDdvd

Does any manufacturer make a burner that I can put in my FCP tower to save footage so I don't depend on hard drives. Can I keep the duel durner in my second slot.
Paul Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #53
Major Player

...or an external burner for my G5 would be nice.

I see B+H photo do one for $1250! Cheap as chips!!
I just Googled it.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #54
Trustee

Sony to Include Portable Movie Files on Blu-Ray

http://kotaku.com/gaming/blu+ray-sho...vds-227862.php

I hope this will be as good as the article indicated.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Still expect DRM, guys.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #56
Major Player

Am I being sceptical. Blu-Ray Authoring

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_3_ENU.html

Would I be right in saying that this isn't as rosey a picture as they are making out. It says "Create HD DVDs and DVDs for playing on a home player "
I may be wrong but, are there only a few Blu-Ray players out at the moment, and from what I underatnd, they don't play "HOME MADE" discs?

Anybody actually using this with successful results?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #57
Inner Circle

if it says create HD DVD , in no ways it concerns Blu-ray products.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #58
Major Player

XDCAM HD from 35 Mb/s to Blu-ray at 40 Mb/s

Last night I had to wake the wifey up to share what for me was an important moment. With my new Panasonic Blu-ray player I was finally able to play a BD-RE disc at 1080P on my 42" Westinghouse. I've only seen the BD-RE material on my 720P 23" studio screen before, where it did look good, but this was something else.

The footage was shot with my 350, and it looked comparable to anything I've seen over HD satellite or on commercial BD or HD DVD. Very fulfilling. We who have this camera made a very good choice, it's almost hard to imagine how the picture could be significantly better.

The workflow was via FAM into Premiere with the MainConcept plug-in, then I rendered a "movie" and use Vegas to kick it up to a 1920x1080 format that Roxio DVDit Pro HD could use. I couldn't get this stage to work in Premiere/MainConcept, I kept getting 1440x1080 and it played back tall and skinny -- not saying it can't be done, just that I couldn't yet.

It's been over a month since I did this, so sorry about the non-specificity, I'll take decent notes when I do this again, but there IS a workflow that never has to go below 35 Mb/sec and ends up at 40 Mb/sec on the BD-RE and yields really satisfying 1080P playback.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #59
Wrangler

That's good info Tip, thanks for sharing. I was rendering a wmv file out of Vegas last night and wound up with the same tall skinny (1440X1080) appearance even though the wmv template was for 1920x1080.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #60
Major Player

Some details...

Here's how I did it. I imagine that this could be done much more simply if you're editing in Vegas, if so just capture/edit in Vegas and render your finished timeline as in step #4 below. But the following is how I did it since I'm not up to speed on Vegas yet.

1) Ingest clips as described in Premiere Pro 2.0 with MainConcept MPEG 2 plugin at 35/Mb/s via FAM.

2) Complete your edit of the project on the Premiere timeline. Export as movie using MainConcept XDCAM HD preset adjusted to highest quality and 35 Mb/s. This is still 1440x1080.

3) Import this "movie" file into Vegas and put clip on timeline.

4) Render as Microsoft AVi at 1920x1080, and adjust all the various dialog areas for the best quality, this will output a large uncompressed file at the stated resolution. It is interlaced but my TV's resolution readout says that it is progressive, that is 1080 lines. It reads out true interlaced 1080 sources such as Dish Network HD as 540 lines, so I do think this workflow is delivering progressive frames via BD.

5) Open DVDit Pro HD and bring the AVI file in via "add movie." Set the output for the highest data rate, etc.

6) Burn the Blu-ray disc. The resulting disc may not display your menu, it didn't display mine.

7) A menu workaround is to create a one second or so blank title (black video) in Vegas and render it as the same 1920x1080 AVi. In DVDit Make this "Movie 1" and the main movie "Movie 2". Right click on Movie 1 in the project tree window and select/mark it "first play." Now give Movie 1 an end action of "go to menu 1" or whatever menu you want at the beginning.

8) Pray. My DVDit Pro HD is now giving me the same stupid error message "Pathname is invalid - 19005" that it did some time ago, can't find or remember the solution. So I haven't been able to test the menu workaround yet. But the rest of the workflow does work.

9) One more thing, pray again, this time that Nero or Sony or Adobe or anyone besides Sonic/Roxio will release a Blu-ray authoring/burning solution that is reliable.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring