Disney to go with Blu-Ray - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #151
Major Player

I could pry design around the logo, but it may not be worth it if I'm just saving a few bucks. I'll wait and see; it turns out my client that wants his Blu-Ray hasn't bought a player yet, so I still have time. ;o)
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #152
New Boot

Blu-Ray burner and AVCHD question

I have the sony hc3 hd camera and Im a bit confused about blu-ray and avchd.
I don’t yet have a blu-ray player but I do have the new LG Blu-Ray burner.
I have made hd-dvd movies on regular 4.7 and double layer discs and the quality was amazing. I get 40 minutes on a DL.
I see that if I burn my movie as avchd I can get 60 minutes on a DL.
My questions are..
Will the avchd dvd look as good as the hd-dvd one?
Will the HD video look better when I write to a 25g blu-ray disc or just the same as burned as avchd?
What kind of files burn to a 25g blu-ray disk I only get a 2 hour movie on the disc.
hope this makes sense
thanks in advance
James Nicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #153
New Boot

James, these are questions I was going to ask a swell, so I'm following this post closely.

Ross
Ross McKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #154
Inner Circle

Let's start by noting that the HC3 records video in the HDV format with a data rate of 25 Mbps, which works out to about 12GB per hour including audio. So with Blu-ray you can fit around two hours of footage at the full quality recorded by the camera, and if you're just copying raw footage you may be able to do so without time-consuming compression to the AVCHD format. AVCHD is useful for packing HD video onto a standard DVD-R disc, but then you have to worry about whether this will work on Blu-ray players. By the way, AVCHD was the typical encoding format for HD-DVDs, so the quality you were getting that way should be identical to using AVCHD for Blu-ray delivery.

Hope that helps put some perspective on all this.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #155
Major Player

Blu Ray Mpeg 2 or H.264?

What is the difference, other than size, for using either of these to burn a Blu Ray disc in Vegas?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #156
Inner Circle

I'm in the middle of making a Blu-ray disc, and chose MPEG-2 for these reasons:

* Making a 60i (and 50i) MPEG-2 file that uses lots of bits is easy - just use the preset.
* The MPEG-2 file uses most of the available bandwidth.
* The MPEG-2 file is widely compatible.

The Vegas presets with h.264, however, resulted in fewer bits per second. Maybe the encoding quality is higher, but the overall quality wasn't as high as it could have been, given the lower bit rate. Also, I wasn't as convinced that it would be widely compatible with various authoring tools. I didn't have the money to buy a higher quality encoder, and I didn't have the time to test for compatibility.

That said, I am looking forward to when the standard Vegas h.264 encoder can max the bitrate of a Blu-ray disc with 100% compatibility (no re-encoding) with other authoring tools. That would have been my preference.
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #157
Major Player

The video I have is just over 2 hours and won't fit on a 25GB disc. I think I'm going to encode as MPG2 and just buy a couple of 50GB discs.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #158
Go Go Godzilla

Blu-Ray for Mac - It will happen (sooner than later hopefully)

http://www.electronista.com/articles...blu.ray.talks/

In traditional Apple form they made no comment but also didn't deny the talks.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #159
Regular Crew

DVD Arch 5.0 - Blu-ray & DVD from same project?

I've read some promises of being able to burn Blu-ray discs and DVDs from the same authored project, but after going through the manual, reviewing these boards, and going through all the menus of both a DVD and Blu-ray project, I have yet to find a way to make this happen. Am I missing something? Or do I actually have to rebuild both versions from scratch separately?

I just realized that these promises may actually refer to burning a Blu-ray project onto both a BD-R and a DVD-R, where both would have a Blu-ray video. I was hoping this meant I could burn a standard DVD version of the same Blu-ray project without re-authoring the whole thing. All of my clients want a standard DVD of their HD projects to share with family & friends, virtually none of whom have HD players. Is that doable? Otherwise, the quickest way I can think to do it is to have both a DVD and Blu-ray project open, then copy and paste from one to another. Is that the best I can do for now?

Last edited by Bob Ridge; August 14th, 2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Clarify
Bob Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #160
Regular Crew

Got it!

Don't know how I missed it: File - Properties - Disc Format, easy enough! I had gotten to the same Project Properties window a different way, and there the disc switching option was grayed out.
Bob Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #161
Major Player

HDV to Bluray Render Settings?

I have a few identical clips shot with a Canon HV-20 at 1080 60i. These were capture with Cineform Prospect. I have combined these in Vegas 8 to a short test movie. A few crossfades, but no color correction or other changes. I have done the exact same thing in Premier Pro. The rendering settings in both Vegas 8 and Premier were as close to the same as they allow. I used mpeg-2, variable bit 25M-20M-4M 1080x60i upper field. When I take the resultant .m2v files into Movie Factory 6 plus and burn to an HDDVD on a DVD-R, the results are very different. The Premier file looks perfect. The Vegas file is over all much darker with lost shadow detail and blown out highlights.
Also, on the Vegas rendered file there is more artifacting. In one scene there is a mountain side on the left half of the frame. There is a fire on it with losts of smoke. The right half of the frame is mostly just smoke/white sky with an extreme amount of pixilation as the camera slowly pans. The Premiere clips look perfect. The version of Premier that I have is 1.5 - several years old. I have standardized on Vegas - as I prefer it. I know it is capable of rendering out files that are equal to Premiere.

My Question is: What are the best settings to use for outputing HDV footage to HD mpeg-2 for bluray/HDDVD? I have gone over my setting and I don't see anything a miss. I am using 8bit, I can't find where the setting is, but I know you can set Vegas 8 to encode at 32bit. Is that the problem? I attempted to add screen captures of my Vegas 8 settings, but It took a long time, then spit back "the server was reset."
I sure appreciate any recommendations. IT would be nice if there was a listing on the forum of the optimal settings for outputting to DVD, BluRay, etc.
Thanks - Paul

PS My BluRay player - Panasonic BD-30 does not accept bluray burned onto a dvd-r. I wish it would, but the Toshiba HDDVD has no problem with it, hence that is why I use Movie Factory 6, as it is cheaper to test with dvd-r then $15 bluray discs.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #162
Regular Crew

Encore CS3 vs DVD Archtect for Blu-ray Authoring

Apologies if this is the wrong category to place this. Anyone here know how Encore CS3's Blu-ray authoring/burning chops stack up to Sony's DVD Architect? I have seen horror stories about the former. And as I continually have problems even installing Encore CS3 on my XP box (long story-even Adobe gave up), let alone author with it, I am seriously considering the latter. Any thoughts?
Ed Hecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #163
Inner Circle

Printable Blu-ray BD-Rs?

Does anybody make printable Blu-ray BD-Rs? If so, please let me know the source.

If not, how do we release semi-pro (not mass produced, but not labeled with a Sharpie either) HD discs?

Thanks in advance!
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #164
Inner Circle

http://www.supermediastore.com/blue-...-recorder.html
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #165
Inner Circle

Thanks Pete! The Verbatim inkjet discs should do the trick.

Verbatim (96661) DataLifePlus Blu-ray 25GB 2X White Inkjet Printable BD-R 25 Disc in Cake Box

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring