Disney to go with Blu-Ray - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #121
Trustee

If you export the footage to around 25Mbps of MPEG2, you could fit close to 2 hours in a 25 gig disc but you can easily fit a lot more without sacrificing the picture quality by exporting to around 15Mbps of h.264.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #122
Trustee

NetBlender to add Blu-ray Authoring to its High Definition Toolset

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/02/prweb711333.htm
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #123
Tourist

Toast 9 supports Blu-Ray Burning and some authoring

http://www.roxio.com/enu/company/press/08_03_17_pr.html

When someone is able to test this out... please post results.

I don't even have a Blu-Ray player yet (or Toast 9 for that matter)

Roxio's page says that it supports HD content from AVCHD camcorders and 'other HD content'.

Says it supports PS3 and burning Blu-Ray on standard DVD-R.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #124
Tourist

Doesn't look promising

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=36424

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=36461
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Both Roxio threads focus on "Blu-ray" burning to standard DVDs (high-def on cheap media, only plays on some blu-ray players, 30 minute or so capacity). Has anyone tried a real Blu-ray disc - I'd assume that the MPEG-4 encode problem might still be there, and I wonder how compatible the disc would be (I've seen reports that a lot of Blu-ray players don't like recordable discs due to a DRM issue). If this is true, the whole video and indie movie community should really get on Sony's case about it. Copy-protecting the major studios' movies is almost OK (I say almost because it creates all sorts of hardware restrictions that make life difficult and expensive for people who aren't pirates), but using DRM to keep people from watching things the big studios DON'T have anything to do with smacks of censorship - you watch what we feed you, because we'll use our DRM might to keep the little guys from getting their movies out!
Dan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #126
Regular Crew

blu ray size question

Can some one tell me how long of a video I can put on a 25gb blu ray dvd at highest quality from Vegas?
Anthony Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Should I consider Blue Ray for program delivery?

I have been creating programs that, in some cases, are longer and file size larger than a single DVD-Dual Layer can accomodate. I am delivering finished edited programs to clients that then sell or market my work for me. I do not do any direct to consumer business.

I have to deliver the product in AVI format. The client then encodes it for distribution either as a DVD or via web download.

I have one client (in the Netherlands) that I trade portable hard drives with; but I don't want to tie up a lot of money in Hard Drives that float around. In this case they own the HD's and they are convenient for shipping a lot of video an still images. It is cheaper to send everything via FedEx in one HD.

So my questions are.

Should I consider Blue-Ray?

Will a Blue-Ray DVD hold more running time?

Will I have to purchase a Blue-Ray authoring/burning software program?

I will also have to get a Blue-Ray disk burner as well. Are there good ones out there for burning masters.

I edit with Sony Vegas Movie Studio+DVD. It does not support Blue-Ray as far as I can tell. Unless there are upgrades available for it.

I am not a techie on all this kind of stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #128
Regular Crew

On a 25G single-layer BD recordable disc this gives you approximately 3h42m for AVC or 2h15m for MPEG-2.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #129
Regular Crew

Thanks.....
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM   #130
Major Player

The problem right now is that most people don't have Blu-ray players.

Blu-ray discs hold a lot more info...but they are a lot more $$.

You will have to buy a blu-ray burner and make sure your authoring program handles blu-ray. Your editing program doesn't make a difference (unless you're using it to author or encode DVD's).
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #131
New Boot

Joliet and ISO9660 on Blu-Ray disc?

I am doing some tests with a very simple but complete Blu-Ray image that I have on the PC - I'm burning it on regular DVD-R disks, but using the UDF 2.50 filesystem. This way, the Playstation 3 accepts the disk as type "AVCHD" and plays it in full HD resolution, as if it were a genuine BD. No problems so far.

Now here's the thing: I use ImgBurn to burn the image on the DVD. I can select either just UDF 2.50, or I can add to it Joliet, ISO9660 or both.
For some reason, if I add any other filesystem to UDF 2.50, ImgBurn complains, saying there might be compatibility problems with some BD players. But the PS3, at least, has no such issues.

Are you aware of any BD players that might not like BD media that has Joliet and/or ISO9660 in addition to UDF 2.50?

I'd like to use all 3 filesystems at once, since that makes it easier to read those discs on some computers.

Last edited by Florin Andrei; April 4th, 2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Florin Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #132
Inner Circle

If your client is doing the encoding for final product delivery, and has a Blu-Ray drive (even if it only reads Blu-Ray disks) in their computer, then I can't see any reason why you couldn't deliver AVI files (using whatever codec you have been using), burned onto a Blu-Ray data disk. If you use BD-RE, your client could also return the disk for re-use.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #133
Regular Crew

DVD Studio Pro 5 (Blu-Ray) around NAB?

I know Apple won't officially be there, but Steve loves to drop things in the middle of other people's conferences... What do people think about the possibility of the Blu-Ray version of DVDSP showing up next week? I'm about to buy Premiere just to get Encore, but I'd certainly prefer the Apple end to end solution (I edit in Final Cut Pro)...

-Dan
Dan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #134
Regular Crew

Let us pray... or yell "HURRY THE @#$ UP!! We want it now!"
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #135
Go Go Godzilla

Indeed; if anyone is going to the LAFCPUG meeting in 'Vegas (I had planned to attend but instead have to finish directing a client edit) or learns of any *concrete* BR news for DVDSP5, be sure to post it on the Mac forum. Just make sure it's published information, not more rumour - we've all had enough guesswork.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring