Disney to go with Blu-Ray - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #91
Trustee

Blu-ray, DVD, Flash contents production united in Adobe Encore CS3, just updated!

I was testing around HD contents and Blu-ray drive installed in my Mac Pro 8 Core with Toast 8 and Adobe Encore CS3 for awhile.
I had reported about making backups with Toast but saving 50GB would takes over 12 hours and dissapointed, also, I was able to burn Blu-ray with the Encore CS3, but it crashed oftenly (under Tiger) and also there was mulfunctioning issue with the timeline and the clips won't be able to playback nor browse. However, not it's time to take advantage of this internal Blu-ray drive for sure.

Last night, I noticed that Adobe had released new Leopard compatible versions of Premiere Pro CS3, Aftter Effects CS3 and Encore CS3.
It is not like Apple's online update that takes minuites to update (I guess Apple has better server scheme), so it took long to download, but it was worth the wait. I installed all of the updates and tried Encore CS3 and gave a try.
Now mostly seems to work well. Great!

So, I thrown in clips from HPX555, HVX200, Canon G1 and PMW-EX1, made some settings for browsing, and burnt the disc with no problems.
I put the disc in the Playstation 3 (Sony wants to make it as full-functioned Blu-ray player, I think, a lot of improvements in features comparing to PS2 being able to playback DVD), then everything playbacks okay!

I encoed with best quality H.264 and I'm satisfied with the quality so far.
Both 60i and 24p played back well. When you playback each different formats, PS3 makes the switch in the resolution.

I will give the report and also upload the flash content made from the same authoring of Blu-ray! That's amazing!
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #92
Major Player

Glad to hear it is working. The export to flash feature is a huge plus for me when I want to show clients a sample DVD but not have to take the time to mail one to them. If they have broadband or can get to it they are set. I am also really happy to see adobing releasing updates fairly quickly for their product line and hope it continues into the future.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #93
Trustee

Here's the sample of the flash content. The clips are at their highest quality setting for the flash movie (which is set in the Encore CS3), but the dotMac speed doesn't seem to be feasible to play back smoothly, so I probably have to lower the quality.

http://homepage.mac.com/musetex/index.html
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #94
Trustee

FastMac 4x Dual Layer Blu-Ray Burner

http://fastmac.com:16080/press/pr_50.php
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Pretty awesome! Does anyone have any experience with these or some of the other HD-DVD/BR options out there for OSX? I'm curious to see what peoples' workflows look like from FCS.
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #96
Trustee

It’s for Adobe Premiere.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110019

Next month Apple is rumored to update DVD Studio to support HD discs.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...s%2F2007-12-05
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Best location for information on Blu ray authoring with CS3?

Best location for information on Blu ray authoring with CS3?

It seems that there is limited info on the Adobe forums.

The Blu-ray forum mostly deals with movies and players.

There don't seem to be a lot of posts about it on this forum.

I would like more info. on player compatability and settings with BDMV and BD-R.

There are lots of high def camcorders and PS3's out there. Someone has to be doing it.
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:27 PM   #98
Major Player

Is there a way to Frame Grab a still from Blu-Ray disk?

Is there a way to do a frame grab of a single shot from a Blu-Ray disk?
I tried Print screen but it seems to not work when A blu Ray disk is playing on my Sony VIAO laptop.

I asume there is a way to do this?
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Did you try to use Fraps?
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #100
Major Player

Try turning DirectX off.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #101
Tourist

Current state of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on a mac

I've looked through old posts but some threads are too old to know what's current.

I'm shooting with a PMW-EX1 and editing on FCP 6.0.2 and use DVDStudioPro4.

What are my options for delivering either blu-ray dvd's and/or HD-DVD's.

and what's compatibility like for playback on set-top players? (including PS3)

What are the limitations? I've read that it's possible to create discs but can't do menus. I've read that you can author HD-DVDs but can't burn them and that you can burn Blu-ray's but there's no good way to author them.

I'm looking at doing mostly one-offs so I wouldn't be replicating them (unless I had to)
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #102
Trustee

Search

Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #103
Regular Crew

I use Encore CS3 on a PC, but burned discs with Encore CS3 on a Mac should be the same.

With Encore you can burn in BDMV format with standard DVD like menus including motion menus and chapter stops.

Plays fine on PS3, Panasonic DMP-BD30K and Samsung BD-P1400. I have heard that with current software updates the Sony players also work, but I have not tested them. (The newest PS3 software may affect playback for PAL users)

Encore does not offer subtitle support currently for Blu ray projects.

Encore does not support HD-DVD.

FCP currently has no support for Blu-ray authoring.
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #104
Major Player

Render to Blu Ray back to HG10 for Playback

Like a lot of people (most, I presume), I have neither a blu ray burner or player at this point so I spent about six hours yesterday trying to figure out how to render out of Vegas to a file that I could transfer back to the Canon HG10 for hi def playback via the HDMI (or component) jack.

I was able to figure it out and everything looked fine on my 50" Sammy plasma, but I'm not sure of some of the implications. So I'm looking for some feedback here.

Specifically, I shot a bunch of 24p clips, converted .mts files to .avi's via Cineform NEO HDV to remove pulldown. The only option that I could find to create .m2ts files from Vegas was to use the Sony AVC codec and choose the MPEG-2 transport stream format under the system tab in the custom template settings. Unfortunately this limits a couple of key settings that were relevant to my project.

First, it limited the audio sampling rate to 48k which meant that my CD audio track had to be resampled on the fly (would have had SoundForge do that if I had known prior) which could introduce all kinds of aliasing issues if it isn't handled well. Second, the audio bandwidth was limited to 256K, which I guess makes the SRC a moot point since the audio is pretty much guaranteed to sound like crap on a decent playback system - Sony, how about we get lossless audio options here. Third, and most importantly though, it limited the frame rate to 29.97 (or 25 PAL).

This is where I don't exactly know what's going on with the 24p material. So I figured I'd toss out this question for those who might know while I do some more experimenting on my end.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #105
Major Player

Just want to bump this thread....I assume Vegas is simply telecining during rendering to get the resulting .m2ts file to 29.976 NTSC. Is this correct and does anyone have any idea how well Vegas performs this task? Should be relatively straightforward 3:2 pulldown...

From what I recall, the edited footage looked the same as the raw .mts clips during playback from the cam.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring