XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 5th, 2002, 06:18 PM   #511
New Boot

Owners club hotline number???

I need to send my camera back to Canon because it has a great time eating tapes when I try to rewind them with the tape heads disengaged - one of the scariest days of my life - but on to my question:
Where do I get the number for the Owners Club Hotline? I have a membership number that I got from Canon when I asked about sending the camera back but I can't find the number anywhere. Any ideas??

JXD
John X. DeMaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #512
Warden

I'd contact the New Jersey Service Center. The address and numbers are listed on the watchdog under XL1 Skinny http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm lube, Oil Service. Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:10 PM   #513
Regular Crew

cutting the foam for a case

Hello All,

First of all a big "Thank You" to whoever suggested to me check out Storm cases. I just got it and boy is it beautiful!!!! Which brings me to my next dilema, how do you suggest I go about cutting the foam inserts that came with the case? Is there a special tool I should get or will a plain old x-acto do it? Also how do you suggest drawing the pattern for the camera? Should I just place the camera on the foam and trace around it with a sharpie? Are there any other suggestions you all can offer!

Thanks!
-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 07:40 PM   #514
Warden

Hi,

I am glad you found a good quality hard case that suits your needs. This is almost embarrasing to admit but after 20 some years i have finally found a way to cut open cell foam. I've tried x-acto knives, razor knives, razor blades, wetting the foam and freezing, you name it, I tried it. I also butchered alot of foam rubber. So what have I discovered? Steak knives. The serrated edge and the back and forth sawing motion goes right through foam rubber. It works.

I trace the outline onto the foam with a marker. Try to keep the outline tight. You can always cut a little more off, but it's real hard to glue foam.

Jeff
Old September 15th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #515
New Boot

Glidecam 4000Pro w/ Bodypod+armbrace

Sorry about adding yet another thread on this subject, but previous postings have not really answered the question.

Is there anyone out-there using an XL1s and a Glidecam 4000Pro with the bodypod and/or the armbrace attached. Is it a good solution to tracking, simulated dolly shots, and extended use in the field (30 t0 45 minutes straight).

I realize it is not a Steadicam, but with the armbrace and bodypod will it still be too unweildy and heavy for these extended periods of time.
RON
TravelReview@Hotmail.com
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 05:23 AM   #516
RED Code Chef

Great suggestions Jeff, thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM   #517
Inner Circle

I've worn a V-16 for up to an hour without passing out.

Of course I'm perspiring like a horse and end up standing with a definite backward lean at the end of the day.

Glidecams, or even Steadycams, don't work well in crowded, narrow places where the sled or support system gets bumped. So that would be something you'd have to take into consideration.

Also, be aware of the weight limitations. If you're using an XL1 without a wide angle adapter or wireless mic receivers then you can probably use the 4000. Be aware that it's limited to 10 pounds. My XL1, when fitted with a Century Wide Angle adapter and Lectrosonic receivers, weighs in at 13 pounds.
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #518
Regular Crew

Low Light Footage

Hey everyone, I'm looking into purchasing an XL1s and am interested in some low light footage if anyone has any. I've seen a lot of stills, but no actual footage. Can someone please contact me if they have some? Thanks

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #519
Stembridge

Solar Charging for XL1 batteries?

I mentioned this in a previous post; but thought I'd list as separate post.

is there a good solar charging pac for the BP series batteries for XL1s?

Thanks!
David
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #520
Warden

Hi,

I found this at the NRG Research site http://www.nrgresearch.com/prod.php3?var=00690P I don't know of any other chargers, maybe someone else does. Have you searched google?

Jeff
Old September 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM   #521
Regular Crew

Hum introduced by AV wires during output to VCR.

How do I eliminate or reduce the hum that I am getting when recording to VCR using the AV wires provided with the XL1s? It's really loud.

Thanks.
Chris Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #522
New Boot

Rental place in Dallas, Texas?

I own a Canon XL-1 (NTSC) and I'm shooting a project with it in the next month or two around the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I aiming to try my XL-1 out with different lenses and attachments available.

Does anybody know of any rental place that might have any of the list below:

- Canon 3x XL lens
- Century Optics .6x wide angle adapter
- Century Optics .7x wide angle adapter
- Century Optics 1.6x tele-converter

or a 16:9 lens adapter

I tried looking but there isn't much out there.

Also, if anybody knows of any good Austin places, then that would be fine cause it could be worth the 3+ hour drive.

- Art
artman009@hotmail.com
Art Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #523
Major Player

That's pretty unusual. I'd first try a different cable -- you might have a broken ground connection.

If that doesn't work, try isolating the VCR from ground (use a 3-prong adapter without the wire connected to anything.

If that doesn't work, connect a separate ground wire from the frames of both the VCR and the camera.

If that doesn't work, try running the camera on battery only.

If that doesn't work, just nuke the whole setup!
Old September 20th, 2002, 09:51 PM   #524
New Boot

Rental Place in Dallas

Try www.mpsfilm.com They are located in Dallas off of Regal Row and 183. I know they have an XL1 and P+S Mini 35 Adapter for rent, so there is a good chance that they might have the other accessories from Century Optics for Rent. They have tons of stuff, and a large studio you can rent oo.

I don't know if they make 16:9 Anamorphic Adapter for the Canon XL1 Series.. I think companies (Optek and Century Optics) are in the works on making one, but haven't released on yet..

What kind of shooting / work do you do? I live in the Dallas area, and am always curious what my neighbors are up to.

later.

-Brad
Brad Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 11:57 PM   #525
Wrangler

how far can you run non XLR wire

How far can you run a non-XLR (is it un-shielded or un-balanced?) microphone wire, before having to worry about any sound loss/interferance/other problems? Assuming I don't run that wire past any live extension cords or anything.

I have a Sennheiser MKE300 which is has a mini-plug jack. I'd like to put it out on a boom and get it off my camera.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog