XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 20th, 2002, 03:57 AM   #631
New Boot

he's giving away equpment!!! nagra

hi all,

i'm currently working in florida at a television station on and off. and the guy i'm working for is in charge of lighting, cool guy. the other day he just gave me lights, a 2k and 2 one k's. the other day i noticed that he had a nagra recording deck in his office that someone gave to him a while ago. i'm wondering if i should show interest because he don't use it, it's been lying there on a table for almost a year. is there any money to be made for lending your services with a nagra unit? just wondering if there's a demand for analog recorders.
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 02:59 PM   #632
Trustee

Hi Keith,

I just stumbled across your message from many moons ago. I am in the orlando area, and I have a GL2. I know the need from your post is long past, but just thought I'd give a hello since I'm in the area and there's always potential for an alliance or two.

Imran.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #633
Regular Crew

Clear Scan Disabled

Hi,
i'm trying to get the Clear Scan, operating, but the i've got the purple band covering it in the menu, i've followed everthing in the instruction book, as far as i can see. I'm doing something wrong, can anyone help, please,?
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 10:56 PM   #634
Warden

Run through all the settings again. Make sure you are in TV or Manual. I've found that a lot of people miss that. Then use the shutter up arrow to get to CS. The menue should now be ready to set in the viewfinder.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2002, 04:08 AM   #635
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,
the mistake i was making was going straight into the menu, before selcting CS by going through the shutter speeds in TV mode. If there's a wrong way to do it, i'll do it! Thanks again.
Mike.
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 01:50 PM   #636
Regular Crew

I'm in Orlando. I'm always looking for new people to work with. Feel free to email any time.
Timmyj01@yahoo.com
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM   #637
Regular Crew

Concerts

I have an offer to shoot some local concerts in the Orlando area. The venue size ranges from smaller clubs to the Hard Rock Live. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting good audio recorded into the camera? I don't have the MA-100 or 200 and probably wont be able to borrow one. Do these venues usually have the connectors or would I have to bring my own (don't mind if I do and might bring them just to be safe). Thank you very much!
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 02:36 PM   #638
Trustee

Hi Tim,

I'm in the Orlando area, and have spent some time lurking around the venues around town as I've got several musician friends. Most smaller local places don't have anything too fancy. If you're lucky, you'll be able to jack in with either XLR cables or RCA connectors into a master mixer. If they have a master mixer!

Places like Hard Rock will be much more pro, however those sort of venues are very greedy about what they let into the door. House of Blues is the same - you have to sleep with someone to be allowed a camera in the premises.

If you tell me what venues you're thinking about shooting in, I can probably tell you what quality of equipment they might have, if I know.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 07:18 PM   #639
Wrangler

Some thoughts:

0. The subject comes up frequently. So scan past posts.

1. Try get a feed from the house mixer. This often will net the best available sound. You will have to check the venue for what they have available for you.

2. If you have to mic the show, use directional mics and position them between the audience and performers to reduce the audience/background noise.

3. Be sure to select a mic that can take the expected sound pressure levels. Many low and modest cost mics run into distortion at rock band levels.

4. While usually not great quality compared to wired mics, wireless mics can reduce the need to run cables from the mic to your shooting position.

5. Consider using an auxiliary recorder for sound to free your camera from being tethered to a audio pickup sustem. MiniDISC recorders work well for this, DAT is better but more costly.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #640
Regular Crew

AKG C1000-S & C3000-B

Hi,

I did a search for AKG and did find some info. But I did not find anything regarding the C3000-B.

Anyone using this mic? Do ya like it? Is there anything special to know about it and the XL-1S?

I plan to purchase one of these mics plus 3 of the C1000-S(s).

Any input about these mics would be of interest.

I plan to use the C1000 mics on booms for interviews. Is this cool or should I just use the Senns Lav mics? I have two of those and could always purchase another.

The C3000-B is just for fun and I hear it is a mic that everyone should own for things....

Thanks

Sure wish there was someone on this site that lived in Tucson!!!

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #641
Regular Crew

ghost images or strobe effect in finder

I have an almost one year old xl1s. I have noticed lately that when the temperature is cold (mid 20s Fahrenheit or below) that the image in the finder appears blurry if the lens is zoomed quickly, the camera is panned, or the subject moves. This occurs in either frame or normal mode. While this looks much like one is using a slow shutter speed such as 1/8 or 1/15 sec., I am not. The recorded video shows no problem. I started using this camera last February under much the same conditions and do not remember anything like this. Has anyone else noticed anything like this.
Old January 11th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #642
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This is normal and to be expected. Remember, the color viewfinder is a liquid crystal display. When it becomes very cold it becomes sluggish to refresh. Use a PortaBrace Polar cover (or something equivalent) to keep the cam warm in very cold shooting.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #643
Tourist

Matte Box for XL1S - lilhelp please?

I got a Canon XL-1S for christmas along with a few accessories, including a Beachtek XLR audio adaptor that fits under my camera. Ive been thinking about a Matte Box with rods that mounts to my tripod. Would my beachtek audio adaptor effect the set up of the rods and matte box? Or am i wrong and can the beachtek be mounted under the Matte Box mount? I need some help on this one as i am young and inexperienced in the world of Digital Video. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #644
Wrangler

I'm pretty sure the Beachtek will be mountable under the matte box.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:43 AM   #645
Slash Rules!

Phantom power. . .how?

I have a Sennheiser ME66, and I don't understand this phantom power deal. It lets the mic run without a AA battery, right? Well, how? I've had it plugged into my MA100, turned on, with battery, and all I've had happen is that I realize I have no battery. All the modules that come with the mic capsule are phantom power, no?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog