Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #601
Regular Crew

recapturing offline footage

Hi there

I have a number of long clips (10-20 minutes) that are offline, and I want to recapture some segments of them. But somehow batch capture tells me every time it wants to recapture the entire clip. I've tried making the clips independent, resetting in and out points. I know I am missing a check box to (un)checksomewhere - can anyone tell me which one? I know there's a checkbox like that in the Media Manager, but if footage is offline, Media Manager is of no use - or is it?
Btw the same happens when I try to recapture offline sequences. For a 5 minute sequence batch capture tells me it wants to recapture all master material (appr. 3 hours)
thx
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #602
Regular Crew

How Do You Erase On A Cd-rw

it's the 1st time i use one of these. i need to erase pictures from a cd-rw. how do i do that? (i got a g4 with osX).
peace
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #603
Regular Crew

No, no one responded. Except I got sort of an answer to the FCP Users Group thing. :(

Can you help?
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #604
Regular Crew

Go into your Applications menu. There you will find a folder called Utilities. open up Utilities and look for a program called Disk Utility. Insert your disk and then open up Disk Utility. There you will see your disk on the left - click one time in the window to highlight it - it will show you some options now on the right side. Choose Erase! The program will ask how you want to format the disk - in all cases you should choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then click on Erase.

You should also do periodic disk maintenance to your hard drive from this same program. In the same window choose your Hardrive - the actual Hard Drive at the top of the window and then, click on First Aid and choose Repair Permissions on the right. This will be sure that all the correct language is used when accessing information from your hard drive. It's always a good habit to get into whenever you install new software.

You can also mount disk images here and create your own back up (burn) your own program CD's. So this will be helpful to you.

Hope this answered your question.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #605
Regular Crew

You can use the Disk Utility. It's in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Select the disc from the list, go to the Erase menu and click erase.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #606
Warden

If you use Toast, it will also erase CD-RW's.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #607
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hello! I am certain I just don't have things configured correctly, and am seeking help!!! I want to be able to digitize from a VHS deck. I have a Sony Media Converter, a VHS deck, an NTSC monitor, and a G4 with FCP 4.0.

Which cables go into what inputs/outputs to be able to digitize and see my VHS video through my NTSC monitor (has an A/B switch)?

Do I choose non-controllable device when I'm digitizing, and no time code?

Please help if you have a similar setup or know the answers to my questions.
You can try the following setup:
VHS deck --> Sony Media Converter --> G4
to connect the deck to the converter, ideally you want S-video to carry the video and 2XRCA connectors to carry the audio. Otherwise use 3 RCA cables (which is kind of 1 cable) to carry both video and audio.

The media converter needs to be set to convert in the right direction... analog-->DV instead of vice versa.

FCP needs to be set to non-controllable device.

I'm not too sure what the NTSC monitor adds when capturing from VHS. Without knowing your gear I don't know if you can also hook it up. Some monitors can pass a signal through them without degradation, so that would be one way to hook it up. Your deck may also have 2 outputs. You will want to hook up your NTSC monitor for other tasks of course. You could just rearrange cabling in that case.

2- Do you happen to have a DV deck? If you have one, you may get the best quality by going
VHS deck --> DV deck --> firewire --> G4
again, use non-controllable device under device control.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #608
Warden

Glenn pretty much nailed it. If it's still not working, explain in more detail how you have the various in's and out's wired.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #609
Regular Crew

Training DVD

Hello All,

Some of you may know me from my Final Cut Pro Quick Tips series over at DMN. Some of you I have met at various conventions, etc.

I've been approached by several companies wanting me to do training DVDs for them. Right now we are trying to narrow down topics/areas to be covered.

What areas/topics would you want covered most in a FCP training DVD?

You can respond to me off list if you like at my e-mail addy

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher
schleicher@mindspring.com
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #610
Warden

Media Manager should do the trick for you if the media is off line. You can use the help files in FCP for step by step directions or if they don't make sense post back with details of what's working and what's not.

Old May 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #611
Regular Crew

sorry guess I wasn't clear, when I wrote the clips are offline I meant they have been deleted. History. Disappeared from my hard drive. Passed away to quicktime heaven. So all I have left is their timecode & tape reference. Which should be enough for a recapture to bring them back to life.

Looked a long time at the media manager, as I understand it doesn't let you re-capture deleted media files.

Did figure out though a way how to do this. Pls let me know if it's the correct way of doing it.

* clip: create sublip with desired in and out point settings, batch export the subclip, re-import it (as batch) and presto: the length of the clips has changed from the original 19 minutes to the desired 30 seconds (based on the in out points set for making the subclip).

* sequence: export EDL and re-import the EDL in a new project (?).

Somehow I can't believe this is the correct way of doing it. And if it is, it's very silly.

Thx again for your help
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #612
Regular Crew

Thanks so much!!!!! That did the trick. I can't see the video signal on my monitor, only because I don't have two outputs. But it's showing up in FCP, and that's the most important part! And I've now labeled my cables, so hopefully this will help in the future.
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #613
Regular Crew

Quicktime 6.5.1

Sorry to ask such a mundane question, but I'm in the middle of a project without much flex in the timeline. Is this last QT update worthwhile and trouble free?

Thanks,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #614
Major Player

The last upgrade to QT was a little while ago and I have to admit I didn't even think whether I should or not but I installed it and have had absolutely no problems with FCP HD and it.

If you are ever looking for this sort of thing or have questions, Ken Stone's site and forum usually has the first word on things and Ken runs a great shop.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...age_index.html
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #615
Major Player

Hey Stephen... I've been over to your site, thanks for reminding me of it.

Well, my issue is that it's tough to find a FCP training DVD or book that isn't pretty much meant for all users.

I know how to use FCP, I know how to do the basic stuff and think I know some of the more advanced things too.

How about several DVDs:

* a totally, 100% beginners only DVD. "Welcome. This is a computer... com-pu-tor. Yes."
-- something project based with video to work with.

* a DVD for intermediate users with the refinements and more advanced basic skillsets.

* Advanced User tips and techniques but make them good. Make it stuff that we really want to learn about not just the same stuff we always get.

*Perhaps some specialty project kind of DVD or one on Sound finishing.

I know Steve Martin did his Color Correction DVD but it wouldn't hurt to have an alternative.

Stuff that lets us keep our work in FCP instead of running for AE or some other program every other minute.

Those are my ideas... you'll get my bill in the mail. :)

Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite