Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM   #661
Regular Crew

Yet another guy with a Sony Z1...need HD?

Hi there!

I live, work, and play in the high Sierra of California and I've been shooting a fair bit of extreme whitewater footage, mountain-scape b-roll, time-lapse, etc...you know, all the standard stuff. If anyone out there in independent production land needs some HDV b-roll or a camera operator + HDV camera in the mountainous regions of central so-cal, I'm your man!

Cheers!

Andrew Stone
Last Minute Productions
P.O. Box 751
Kernville, CA 93238
(760) 376-2014
astone2@mchsi.com
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM   #662
Tourist

What is the best set-up when taping a concert?

Hello All:

I am taping a concert and i am the only videographer. I am wondering what is the best way of taping it. I want to get all angles but without the any problems.. Help Help. Comments and Suggestions...

Kay
KMP FIlms
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM   #663
Major Player

Borrow a 2nd camera and set it somewhere safe and let it record a wide shot with the entire stage. Use your main camera as a roving camera at the front of the stage getting closeups of players, instruments, crowd, etc. Never stop rolling on this camera, so it will be easier to sync in post with the other.

Just a couple thoughts.

kevin
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:51 PM   #664
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Borrow a 2nd camera and set it somewhere safe and let it record a wide shot with the entire stage. Use your main camera as a roving camera at the front of the stage getting closeups of players, instruments, crowd, etc. Never stop rolling on this camera, so it will be easier to sync in post with the other.

Just a couple thoughts.

kevin
And a GOOD couple of thoughts, Kevin. You were so right to suggest a second camera.....it's the only way to shoot this unless the band doesn't mind a "walkin the dog" tape as the videographer repositions constantly.....

I would also suggest that he slave the same timecode to both cameras, (make sure they are both shooting drop frame as well) which will also make it easier to edit. Your suggestion to keep the roaming camera rolling at all times is something I finally learned after many hours of pulling my hair out trying to match video to music that stopped and started. Good call!

Good luck to the original poster. Sorry I didn't write down your name before I hit the quote button for Kevin.

Stephanie
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM   #665
Major Player

It is quite a challenge to shoot a concert. Kevin and Stephany's reply is about the best you can do. Unless you can borrow more cameras and have them set on differing shots. Then you, on a close shot, try and grab some interesting and varing shots to edit in.

Is this for your own use, or is it a request from somebody else? If it's the latter warn them that the quality may be a bit disapointing for the following reasons.

Lighting: If it's a stage show it will more than likely be lit for the stage. Video has it's own lighting demands and needs to be lit accordingly.

Audio: If you are restricted to the cam mics this will limit the audio quality drasticly. If you can take a feed from the sound desk, this may also prove a disapointment as it will be mixed for the house rather than a recording.

For professional shoots a concert requires much planning and a skilled lighting, camera, and audio crew.

Try to get in on a rehearsal or two so you can experiment.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit discouraging. But shooting a concert on your own is a big call. If you've been asked to do it by another person ask them what their expectations are. And warn them it wont look like a tv show.

Most important Kay. Have fun. That's the main thing.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:07 AM   #666
Major Player

Kay

A bit off topic. I'm sitting here in the Southern Hemisphere and all I seem to be hearing is news of one hurricane after another. Hope you are safe. If I was closer I'd love to give a hand on shooting your concert as they're great fun.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM   #667
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Dawe
Kay

A bit off topic. I'm sitting here in the Southern Hemisphere and all I seem to be hearing is news of one hurricane after another. Hope you are safe. If I was closer I'd love to give a hand on shooting your concert as they're great fun.
Dear Owen and Kevanya,

If I had a longer leg I'd be kicking myself in the ass.....Duh for the obvious to Kev, take your camera out and shoot whatever amazing hurricane footage you can, walk it to the nearest satellite truck and get the producer inside to pay for your footage. You can ask at least $500 or MORE for decent footage as a "stringer" videographer.

This requires that you get video that none of the of the other shooters have gotten. Not impossible if you have a police radio and a knowledge of the city that other photogs don't. Use these to your advantage and save people along the way if possible.....And try to second guess where the next "problem" will be and arrive before everyone else.

Good Luck, Stephanie
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:37 AM   #668
Major Player

Hi Stephanie,

(sorry I spelt your name wrong before). Still further off topic. Good idea, getting hurricane footage. Hey!! Seeing as you live in California. Was it you then that got that amazing footage of the airbus landing with all those sparks flying off the front wheel (grin).

Back to topic. I shoot a bit of music myself. What do you do?

Cheers.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM   #669
Regular Crew

3D Max Designer Needed

Meydenbauer Entertainment, an award winning production company, is looking for a 3D designer to help put together our leader and logo.

There isn't a lot of pay right now, but it can negotiated based on your rates and so forth. It will also be determined by the level of difficulty the logo ends up rising to.

Must be proficient with 3D Max or comparable. No beginner's please.

Send me an email at: JCaldwell182@comcast.net
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM   #670
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Dawe
Hi Stephanie,

(sorry I spelt your name wrong before). Still further off topic. Good idea, getting hurricane footage. Hey!! Seeing as you live in California. Was it you then that got that amazing footage of the airbus landing with all those sparks flying off the front wheel (grin).

Back to topic. I shoot a bit of music myself. What do you do?

Cheers.
Hey Owen,

Thanks so much for asking. If I knew how to e-mail you directly I would, rather than bore all these fine people on this board.

I shot for various PBS stations for my first 10 years and for the L.A. bureau of CNN for 11 years after that. Just got tired of the 2am phone calls and flying all over the country covering bad stuff. Have been trying rather unsuccessfully to make it in the freelance market for the last year. A doc that I was shooting on spec has pretty much gone into the toilet as the producer can't handle the prima donna musician subject. My other project has a producer with no money and my attempts at getting crew gigs haven't happened because I don't have a on-line link to my resume reel yet.

Wow, aren't you sorry you asked.....

But what's the good news with you, Owen? Do you have a "real" job and shoot music for fun? What equipment do you have and how are you liking it? How long have you been shooting and what do you consider your best talents? Off topic, he, he, again... Wife, kids, dogs, cats, pot bellied pigs?

I'm single by choice, have 2 dogs and a cat and a nice little house that I'm trying to hand on to. Wish me luck!!!!

Good to meet you. Take care my new friend,

Stephanie
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #671
Major Player

Well, there's northern NJ and there's NORTHERN NJ.
Where exactly are you?
Old September 25th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #672
Major Player

Hi Stephanie,

I've sent a reply off direct to you. You should get it I hope,

Cheers
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #673
Regular Crew

Finding a budget on a deadline.

Hello All -

I live in Los Angeles and am shooting a feature using miniDV on October 15th. This is my second feature, and I have done about seven short films. Right now my project is an "Out of pocket" project. I need a bare minimum of two thousand. Raising money wasn't something I left for the last minute, in fact, it has been a top priority since the script was finished. However, I still don't have one. I want to do this legally and quickly. This is a "for profit" film. Asking family for "donations" isn't an option. My film deals with hate crimes and so maybe there is some leverage there, though I hear going to support groups are a waste of time! I really just need some advice, I'm not looking for any secret information. Thousands of filmmakers get hundreds of thousands of dollars every day. I need 2... Please help!
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #674
New Boot

Camera Rental in Rochester, NY

Anyone know of a good place to rent AV equipment in Rochester, NY? I'm looking to rent 2 Canon XL2's and a portable teleprompter pkg in mid-October. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #675
New Boot

give this place a call

http://www.hahngraphic.com/hgraphic/
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands